1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A relationship is NOT a cure for everything.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SheMonk, Aug 14, 2018.

1. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

WARNING: rant is ranty.

I feel like most people in this day and age are striving for a monogamous relationship (possibly marriage) to death do us part and the whole shabang. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with being monogamous or in a relationship (sexual and/or romantically exclusive), as long as it's a conscious decision. But I am wondering how often it is actually a conscious, thought-out choice rather than blindly following a societal or cultural expectation, or being pressured into this, since being in a romantic relationship is often marketed as the ultimate goal in life. I say bullshit.

I think it is a dangerous “trend”, as not everyone is interested in or being wired to be in romantic or sexual relationships (aromantics and/or asexuals, for example), and not everyone is wired for monogamy and I also think it's harmful to put romantic and/or sexual relations on a hierarchical pedestal above other relationships (friendships, family, kids, whatever else); that one is supposed to put a romantic partner above everything and everyone else, including yourself. Has anyone ever stopped to ask why this is a prescribed requirement? Why do you have to put a romantic partner / relationship above any other relations in your life? Why does it have to be monogamous? Why is every other relational constellation and singlehood shamed, mocked or not taken seriously?

Advocating this “one size fits all” fallacy, that a romantic relationship is something EVERYONE should strive for to attain (eternal) happiness, creates a sense of failure and unnecessary loneliness in those who are without romantic / sexual relations. Some people are even shamed for not being in a romantic / sexual relation or shamed for not desiring to be in one, or not making it a primary life goal. This is deeply concerning to me. I see so many people on this site writing about their loneliness, believing their struggles in life will magically be cured if they find a romantic (and/or sexual) relationship, spending countless hours draining themselves from serial dating, trying to find that special person who is going to save them from themselves, which is, IMO, not possible. I think it's borderline insane putting your happiness and quality of life in the hands of someone else. It's irresponsible, unfair and is not going to help you love yourself or take ownership of your own life and emotional wellbeing.

Take ownership of your life. Work on loving yourself before you demand others to love you. Don't buy into the nonsense notion that someone else has to come flying from the heaven and alleviate your pain. Don't expect other people to love you, if you don't love yourself. It's like cooking a shitty meal and demanding others to love the taste. It makes no sense. Become your own best friend and understand that everything you need to truly enjoy your existence, is completely your own responsibility and within your own power. THEN also surround yourself with inspiring people and do your best to improve your own life. THEN you can start thinking about relationships (which probably won't be that interesting to you, once you already love yourself – the more you love yourself, the less you need others to love you) as an added bonus enhancement of your life. A relationship should ADD to your life. Not BE your life.

Love came abundantly into my existence once I stopped giving a f*ck about leeching it from others. I became my own best friend, cultivated immense self-love and attracted other people who has also found wholeness within themselves. Contrary to popular belief, two halves do not make a whole – they make codependency. But two wholes coming together make f*cking magic, my friends – they make interdependency, independency and/or total freedom.

But I digress! Back to the questioning of unconscious monogamy!

Many people seem to be serial monogamists, where they enter one monogamous relationship after another. Breaking up and parting ways after a while, before pursuing a new monogamous situation. It is also my impression that many people in their monogamous relationship EXPECT the escalator-model by default (→ dating → exclusivity → marriage / shared life (finances, cohabitation, etc) → kids → to death do us part), without actually communicating with one another if that is what both parties desire. It is often ASSUMED without discussion that this is the natural progression a relationship should have or aspire to, and if the relationship doesn't, it means it has to end or cannot be anything other and a friendship or even invalid. Relationships which do not follow this model or somehow end before the death do us part thing, are often considered to be 'failed', shamed or waste of time – which I, by the way, find utterly ridicules.

I don't think a relationship has failed once it ends or transforms into another type of relation. Hopefully people learn a lot from their relationships, whether romantic or whatever. Besides, all the good times, growth and so on are not wasted time. They are worth A LOT!

As said, I do wonder how many people actually think about WHY they enter a monogamous situation or just romantic relationships in general. Do you really want to and why? Are you expected to? Do you believe there are no other options or meanings to life? I'm sure there are many different reasons.

I used to feel depressed about being single for most of my life and dreaming about the perfect (monogamous) relationship which would save me and make my life supreme, because that's the norm and to be expected. But at the same time when I was in a (monogamous) relationship with the notion of forever and ever, I felt sad and trapped. I did not know there were any other options and I believed all the Hollyweird movies; that the ultimate goal in life is hierarchical romantic relation, which is not true. Many of us live in privileged societies where we are free to design our own life and relationships (or lack thereof) and no matter what you choose, don't feel guilty, shamed, wrong. But we could all do with a little more (self)awareness and questioning of why we do the things we do.

Disclaimer: I am not bashing monogamy or romance. I am, however, expressing concern about the borderline brainwashing of romance being the cure for EVERYTHING or to be striven for by EVERYONE.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Thoughts? Great post, I can't believe nobody has replied yet. Yes I do think 'Disney' has brainwashed people into thinking relationships are the norm and anyone who isn't in a relationship is considered an oddball. I get that all the time, when I'm sat around the dinner table, or at work. . . like there is something wrong with me.

'Oh you're not in a relationship. Is something wrong?!'

This is one of the most annoying and frustrating things. No there isn't anything wrong!!

Thank you for writing this!

3. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

A lot of people are also seeking completion.

"If I had this or that, then I'll be happy / worthy / enough / at peace."

They don't see that pain, problems, and negative experiences doesn't stop once they get what they want.

Everybody wants to have great sex and an awesome relationship, but not everyone is willing to go through the tough conversations, the awkward silences, the hurt feelings, and the emotional psychodrama to get there. You don’t end up attracting someone amazing without appreciating the emotional turbulence that comes with weathering rejections, building the sexual tension that never gets released, and staring blankly at a phone that never rings.

Relationships takes a lot of work and there's no guarantees. Marriage, kids, and a mortgage are no guarantee that the relationship will hold.

There's no completion until you're dead. So think about what problems in your life you're willing to solve. What pain are you willing to sustain throughout your life. Because if you want the benefits of something, you also have to want to pay the costs.

People's concepts of what will complete them is mostly fed by mainstream media and reinforced by the general population. "Unless you have this car / house / career / lifestyle / relationship / etc, then you should feel insufficient."

So it creates a feeling of being left behind.

"I should be this... or that... I should have this by now..."

You grow up with enough people that think, feel, and behave in a certain way, then it becomes all you ever know.

So you end up chasing after these concepts of fulfillment all your life without really stopping to think otherwise.

Then by the end of it all you think to yourself "that was it?" or "why did I do all that for?"

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

It's weird how other people are threatened or triggered by those who don't follow the same timeline or lifestyle as everyone else.

You don't own a house yet?
    You don't have kids yet?
    You don't have a girlfriend yet?
    You don't have instagram / facebook?
    You don't drink alcohol?
    You don't have anything exciting happening this weekend?

The best thing you can do is answer honestly. If you're really living a life that you're proud of, then you won't react negatively towards others. When you're worried about what others will think of you, that's when other people's approval is more important than being the person you want to become and the life that you want to have.

You're either self assured with where you currently are and with all the things you currently lack, but are working towards. Or you're still doing things for the sake of other people's validation.

5. I don’t blame monogamy for people falsely looking towards other people to “complete” them. I agree that type of thinking is toxic and that a lot of the bullshit romance that is pushed in movies and public hasn’t helped.

Other than that I feel the supremacy of monogamous relationship within society has to deal with the family model and what type of relationship is best suited to raise healthy children within a society.

Jason_Tesla_19 likes this.
  6. TheManDude

TheManDude Fapstronaut

I saw a video today where Jordan Peterson says that society push monogamy in order to maintain control and order on males who wouldn't get a female due to poligamy benefiting more capable and suitable males who would get most of the women... to me romantic love is not very appealing but if two people do love each other in a meaningful way then a commitment could be good for them, there're couples who last all their lifes and are happy.

7. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I'm sure most know that it's not.

8. SensualLettuce

SensualLettuce Fapstronaut

I think it simply comes down to motivation, expectations and mindset. Some ideas serve as false realities for some while vice versa for others by fulfilling "Holywood fantasies" in whatever form that takes, or not at all. Whether it's betraying the norm or comorming to it, depending on the actions a person takes, they'll either reap the benefits of what they believe and acted on or fall into a darker place for it. I think some movies/shows/games emulate romantics In a way that's fairly realistic seasoned with theatrics because it is a movie/show/game after all, but from a personal perspective, it's as easy as self reflection, self discovery and having a reality check for an individual to figure out what they admire and want. Great write up though.

9. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

I think the obvious should be mentioned, which is that the "monogamous relationship style" is derived from Christianity and the traditional family model. But what was a worldly arrangement for a long time (because they said your first love should always be god) got indeed mystified at some point, and Disney, Hollywood and all those incredibly stupid generic love songs surely made their contribution to this. Moreover, the traditional model worked when people and the way they lived were still much more included into the general social framework, experiencing their life as a part of the life of their people or may be humanity, contrary to the hyper-individuality (and resulting isolation) we have today.

As for me, I want a monogamous relationship or none at all. I decided that I don't want to have any sex outside of a relationship anymore, so an open relationship is not an option, and regarding the idea of polyamory... yeah, one relationship already requires enough time and energy for me, I don't see how I could possibly be able to have more than that and still follow my other interestes and goals in life, and I would expect a lot of complications from that, too. I admit that the prospect of asking my girl out for dinner and then receiving the reply that she's already spending the night with this other dude would make me jealous.

You could argue that monogamy is an unconscious choice for many people. But to the other side, it may quickly look like many people going for open relationships or polyamory are just afraid of commitment. If you want an example, check out this video, where this guy is clearly using the "not putting a label on it" as an excuse for his own fears. It probably depends on the person. What is "the best way to live" might even depend on the time and circumstances we live in. I remember the novel 1984 where sexuality got repressed, which would be totally different circumstances than our society today, where you see this over-sexualization everywhere. In the end, time will tell, for everyone.

Jason_Tesla_19 likes this.
  10. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

@Headspace

Thank you so much for your response and reflection! :D

Yes, it definitely makes sense stating where monogamy comes from, and it makes perfect sense it served a specific purpose when it came to a certain family and property setup. It's cultural, tradition and religious for some and it is normative, especially in the Western world. I see nothing inherently wrong with that, but I don't agree with the way it is still being pushed on most people as the "correct way to live romantic life". I do not think forced monogamy makes sense in this day and age. If you choose it consciously and it is the healthiest relational setup for you, then all the power to you. Nothing wrong with that. But to the rest who are not wired for monogamy or wired for romantic / sexual relationships at all, it should not be forced and I don't believe people should be shunned, shamed or made out to be weird if they have found their personal truth elsewhere. That's my point. :)

Monogamy, open-relationships or polyamory are not the only relational options out there. It is not "monogamy vs promiscuity". It is not just a matter of wanting to have sex with multiple people or just one person. An asexual person can be monogamous or polyamorous, but since they are asexual, they don't have an interest in sex. For them it has nothing to do with sex, but perhaps they are in a loving relationship with someone who is sexual, and for that person to get their sexual needs met without crossing the boundaries of the asexual, the best solution could be for the sexual partner to get their sexual needs met outside of the relationship. But does that make the asexual and sexual person's relationships any less valid? No, I don't think so.

An open relationship can still be sexually exclusive, but perhaps emotionally involve several people. You can be polyamorous in an emotional sense, but sexually monogamous. You can be sexually poly, but emotionally exclusive. Then there is the question of autonomy. Not everyone is interested in sharing everything with their partner(s), such as cohabitation, finances, kids, property, all the hours in a day, mingling with families, or following the escalator-model, being together forever, marriage, etc. Lots of things which have nothing to do with sex. Luckily, there are so many ways you can structure relationships.

I have also come to think it is unfair labeling all non-monogamous people as being afraid of commitment. Commitment to what, exactly? The relationship structure or the person? Again, we can use the asexual and the sexual person as an example, as being very committed to what they have, but also making sure both essential needs are met in the best way possible to ensure their relationship to each other is the healthiest it can be for them specifically. I have considered myself monogamous my entire life, although I have never felt comfortable in a monogamous relationship, as I look back. For me it has nothing to do with sex with several people, as I am only interested in sex with people I am emotionally connected to (demi-sexual), - which is so far just one person at a time or rare anyway for me. But I am not comfortable with many of the prescribed expectations in a monogamous relationship (escalator model, decreasing of autonomy, having to make each other the center of our universe, promises of forever (I don't know how I feel in a year or five or ten?!), ownership of my time, whereabouts, who I am hanging out with, how I communicate with other men and male friends, neglecting of other relationships for the sake of my romantic partner, etc.) It has nothing to do with me fearing committing to someone I love. I have no problem with that as long as we are compatible, but I don't want to commit to a lifestyle which simply does not resonate with me. Am I making sense? It has nothing to do with me being emotionally immature or not grown up enough, or wanting to have sex with loads of people or whatever else people assume.

The fear of making a bad decision for one self should not be labeled as having a faulty character, or being emotionally immature, as people often tend to. I often hear the "oh, you just haven't found THE ONE yet. Once you do, you will definitely want to be monogamous, have kids, settle down, make them your whole world forever!" which simply is not the case for a lot of people. What about the people who have had several great loves throughout their life? What about the people who are not interested in raising kids? Or people who value their autonomy or only wish to be together every once in a while because they have other things going as well, and they're fine with that? Or the people who enjoy other relational constellations? Is their love any less valid than the love in a monogamous relationship? Is their mutually decided commitment to however their relationship looks like, any less of a commitment than a traditional monogamous couple's commitment to their constellation? I don't think so. And is being a serial monogamist really any "better or worse" than someone who dates around without labels and titles? No. My problem is when monogamy is forced on everyone and/or is being put on a hierarchical pedestal as the ultimate and right way to romantically relate for everyone.

Regarding time to have many relationships, it entirely depends on the people involved and how you define your relationship(s) and how much time you invest in it/them. Not all relationships require the same amount of attention and time. People are different and relationships are different. If you see a relationship as something you have to be in 24/7, 365 days a year, then yeah, it would be difficult having more of them if you want to give all involved the same time and investment, and you're not all living together. But it works fine for a lot of people who are not interested in hanging out with their partner(s) all the time, which brings me back to the whole question of why it is we are prompted to spend all our waking hours with our romantic partner(s). I have a good amount of friends, and I am not seeing them everyday. There is no need for that, but seeing each other once in a while does not take anything away from the love in our friendship. It's the same with my current romantic partner, and it suits us both just perfectly, and does not make our love for each other less valid. In fact, I am confident it nourishes our relationship as we have time to do whatever else we set out to do in life (work, hobbies, friends, whatever) and have time to miss each other, so every time we see each other it's awesome. But I digress.

Multiple partners work fine for many other people. And sure there can be drama just as within monogamy, but it still does not make whatever other people do, any less valid than monogamy. Drama and so forth is more about the people and not the constellation. I personally am not looking for more romantic relationships, yet I don't classify myself as monogamous, non-monogamous, poly or whatever. If anything, I am relationship anarchistic, meaning it is up to me an whoever else I relate to, to decide how we want to do things consciously. That may or may not express itself monogamously, non-monogamously or whatever. Point is, it's a conscious mutual decision and not prescribed or assumed. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    SkinnyBeard and Headspace like this.
  11. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

@tweeby

Thank you! Glad you stopped by to add your thoughts. :)

I agree. It's so annoying when you're at family functions or whatever, and people question why you don't have someone with you. I also agree with @elevate, that I think people feel threatened if you're not doing the same as them. Probably because it's culturally assumed that something is wrong with you, if you're not in a romantic relationship or if you're not actively looking for one. I don't think people are asking to be annoying or hurtful, though. I don't think they consciously even know why they (we as a species) feel threatened by unconventionality.

When I first started dating my current partner (we've known each other peripherally for a few years prior), we agreed for it to be casual / open / non-titled dating to see where it goes as he had just come out of an emotionally abusive (both ways) relationship, and everyone I talked to (except maybe one or two people in my life) could not wrap their head around what we were doing (hanging out a lot, showing up together as a couple, but no sex as I was still abstinent), and kept asking and pressuring me to put a label on it. "Are you friends? Are you lovers?! But you don't have sex?! WHAT ARE YOU?!!" Invalidating what we're doing because we are not Facebook official, so to speak. Saying I (presumably because I am the woman) was probably being used for sex, although we did not have sex until far into the relation. They still question it 8 months later or refer to him as my boyfriend without my consent, and it's so interesting seeing how uncomfortable our relation is making them, while him and I are just breezing along in probably the most healthy, transparent, drama free and honest relationship both of us have had in many years. :')

@elevate

Thanks for your responses! Yes, it's a dangerous belief, blindly believing you need whatever everyone else tells you, you need. And it is difficult finding out there are other options or ways of living, if you don't know or don't know where to look (thank goodness for the internet, haha!). Hopefully people are more susceptible to question their existence nowadays, and able to find community or other people who can help out.

I don't blame monogamy in and of itself for anything. Just the unconscious force of it on everyone. :)

But what is a healthy child? One who is just raised by mom and dad? Throughout history it has been quite normal for other people to take care of children (nurse maids, other family / tribe members, institutions such as kindergardens, etc). Children of divorce are also very common these days, and most turn out just fine, even though they grow up with several mixed families, and possibly two moms and two dads or more, depending on how many times their parents divorced.

@TheManDude - I have not seen the video or the guy you refer to, but interesting perspective. But I don't believe that's the case. If everyone is free to see whoever they want, and not "owned" in a polygamist marriage by one male, then there'd be more than enough people to go around for everyone, so to speak.

And of course there are people who spend their entire life together (such as my grandparents from age 14 and 16 until death in their 80's). Some people spend their entire life committed to someone or a relationship which is toxic, abusive or unhappy. Others have had shorter relations which were happy, amazing and loving. So I don't think a life long commitment is a default massure of relational success.

@SensualLettuce - thank you for the compliment and your thoughts on the subject. At fear of repeating myself too much, I agree. Different strokes for different folks and I am not against or particular for any one relational structure over another, as long as it's a conscious, consensual choice of everyone involved. :)

12. GettingAGrip

GettingAGrip Fapstronaut

I totally feel you! I usually get that because I don't drink alcohol.
    Same with soccer and basketball.. "Oh you don't play basketball? Why? That's weird.." lol.

Woodcutter74 likes this.
  13. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

A long post, I have the impression you are really concerned for this topic ;) I get most of what you say. Yes, it makes sense.
    I hope I didn't give the impression I was labeling all non-monogamous people that way. It was just a response to the slight tendency of claiming this to be a superior lifestyle by default, or something like that. You never said that, I know. But people can also think they make "conscious decisions" when they in fact are not as conscious, free or rational in reality. In fact, the people who consider themselves to be "more conscious" than the rest can end up to just be detached and alienated. The intro sample from this song, featuring what might be a serial killer came to my mind, and I think I will now think of it whenever I hear the term "conscious decision" (it's probably from a movie or something, I don't know). Not meaning to provoke, just reflecting and trying to add to the different perspectives!
    Your quoted question might be rhetoric, as you use the word "commitment" yourself later on, but I will treat it as if it wasn't. It is a commitment to the relationship, and yes, to the relationship structure if you will, to the whole idea of that relationship, which of course includes the specific partner you relate to. You are right in saying that monogamous relationships also have a normative function. That's where it comes in. That normativity is also why monogamous people might not like any different concept than theirs, it's because normativity only works when it is obligatory for everyone.
    I acknowledge your argumentation to be superior to the one any monogamous person might be able to give. Nevertheless, I personally just don't feel good about all this. This development has to be seen in a bigger picture of where humanity goes. All those different categories are an expression of postmodern relativism, which comes from increased mobility and interaction between cultures, making us think that there is not a single rock we could possibly cling to in our worldview, insofar as to call it actually objective, absolute, whatever you like. There will always be someone who shatters our opinion, even more so through the WWW, and we have to respect that, otherwise we would be lying to ourselves. However, that way, nothing has any actual value anymore. When everything is reduced to subjectivity, everything loses its quality. When everyone is equal, nobody is recognized for who he is anymore. When everyone is individual, nobody is. I'm very unsure about whether humans should even be given all the individuality and freedom we have today - but I can't come up with any better concept, either. This all gives me anxiety, but I can take it in a stoic manner, or at least I try to (and I still have some faith and ideas which I believe to be immune to all this).
    I definitely fucking hate gender mainstreaming. That is the worst expression of it all. Nothing against the prospect of looking at gender roles - hell, I already reflected about the masculine and feminine sides of my personality as a teenager, before it was cool -, but please do it without this whole hypocritical ideologic framework. And so many people buy into it, especially into the modifications of language, which are just an invitation to hypocrisy, because words and deeds can be so different (aside from the circumstance that the modifications ruin the rhythm and natural flow of language).

But... going totally off-topic here. Originally, your post was about the mystification of relationships. Of course no relationship will save you, at least not when that is the mindset you enter it with (except may be for a relationship with god/Jesus for Christians, which is something different, of course...). But may be you actually have to differ between the normative and mystified aspect. I definitely need more time to think about it, but thank you for all your input, @SheMonk, I will always consider your views.

Woodcutter74 and SheMonk like this.
  14. Step 1 : fix your own problems
    Step 2: be happy with your own current self. Love yourself. Be confident.
    Step 3: look for a relation ship.
    Step 4: be happy and make your partner happy.

Its how I see stuff. If you hate yourself but somehow manage to get a relation, it won't last. Your hate and whining about yourself will eventually show up and make the loved one not love you anymore, you ll consume her/him.

Atm I'm personally not looking for a relation even tho deep inside I would LOVE to. I got PLENTY of things to fix for myself before I go further. Not happy with myself just yet.

So yeah. If you think you suck and your life is shit, a relation ship won't fix it.

15. Woodcutter74

Woodcutter74 Fapstronaut

Totally agree that it should not be the ultimate goal in life, especially that nothing last forever and 50% of spouses separate

When you have known many bitter disappointments with relationships that leave you hurting, anxious, insecure, cynical and jaded in the process, you learn with time that being on your own is not always a bad thing. There is a time we are happy when we are in love and sometimes happier out of love. You are also free, save a lots of money and can be your own person. And when you see how many are miserable in relationships, one can sometimes ask themselves why bother?

Always true. Too many times I see people looking for love in the wrong places, being needy towards others because they feel insecure being on their own, believe their self worth and happiness depends if they have a romantic partner. Individuals should be happy with themselves, whether they have someone in their lives or not. If they are not, then they should better themselves for their own sake, not to please a future love interest.

Love this article. I give two thumbs up, five stars.

SheMonk and Hitto like this.
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think realising that other people cant solve your problems is a very bitter pill, but one that must be swallowed if you want to actually get anywhere and be genuinely independent. Early last year I was miserable because I was pining for a relationship like a dog pines for its owner, and this went on for so long that I eventually stopped caring, and now it chafes me when people bring it up like its weird that I dont actively pursue people. Do I want a relationship still? I mean yeah, sure, but it isn't my primary goal at the moment and it really gets on my nerves that people dont understand this. At the end of the day, a relationship wont magically make my anxiety go away, it wont make my confidence issues go away, it wont suddenly turn me into some superhuman. If anything, getting into a relationship in the hopes it will "fix" you, is the equivalent of putting a plaster over a gunshot wound, it will technically stop some of the bleeding, but it will do nothing beyond that and is honestly more harmful than helpful because it feeds a delusion.