1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

52 weeks 52+ books

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Aiyoshi, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Jeff Price at his TED Talk shares his experience about how reading a book a week gave him a new insight at life.

Let's do the same, in this 2017 let's enjoy at least 1 book for every week of the year and share our thoughts and experiences with it.

Since it's the start of the first week of the year(http://week-number.net/calendar-with-week-numbers-2017.html), post what you're reading this week, and once it's finished share your thoughts on it.

Also share your experience with audiobooks, they're still books dispite different format.

2. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

In this first week, gonna read [​IMG]

In this book Chris teachs how to public speak by analising what makes a good TED Talk.

This week I'm also listening to
    It talks about how having a successful mindset makes people successful.

3. Tommysnewlife

Tommysnewlife Fapstronaut

4. douggie1962

douggie1962 Fapstronaut

5. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Wow. Inappropriate!

6. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

This is a great thread, and an even better New Year's resolution. @Aiyoshi, I will be working hard to do this challenge with you. Cheers!

Aiyoshi and Deleted Account like this.
  7. Good good i will try that too. Currently i am reading the novel "Razor Girl" by Carl Hiaasen, which is really very funny so far. I have to finish it this week, kept reading it for far too long. Also this is good, if you have to read a novel a week, there is always a distraction from this or that urges. :) I am new here, nice to be here, and i am especially happy about this challenge, since i love novels, but read less. Have a nice 2017 everyone...

8. Conor101

Conor101 Fapstronaut

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson

9. fapshooter

fapshooter Fapstronaut

I started the challenge in summer 2015 and finished it in summer 2016. I consider it to be high up with my life accomplishments. You will learn a lot. People will see that too ;)

I got a small tip for you. Follow 1 book/week schedule. Don't let yourself slip and procrastinate and then have read 5 books/week just to catch up because doing that will hurt you in two ways:
    1. The challenge will become a chore.
    2. You will retain almost nothing of the books you read, and hence you're wasting your effort and time.

Good luck!

10. im_alive

im_alive Fapstronaut

I would read 5 books ten times instead. And implement what you learn.

11. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Hi @Aiyoshi, have you finished your first book yet? Hope you're well. I'm currently reading through my first book of the year. It's called "Imminent Threat" by Jack Patterson. Bought it for $5.99 on iBooks. Nearly 1/2 through -- good read! This book is the 2nd book in a 4-book series by the author. First book was good, too -- read it a couple of months ago. Was about JFK's assassination!

12. The_last_draw

The_last_draw Fapstronaut

Hell yeah I am in. I am trying to do it for a long time now. Reading books is one of the most insightful activities I have ever tried. But I just can't focus enough to read a book effectively.

13. That's awesome man not many people can say that!

Aiyoshi likes this.
  14. StandingTall

StandingTall Fapstronaut

52 books in a year is a LOT of books. My goal is at least thirty for this year. Every once in a while I pick out some non-fiction TOME that takes me six weeks to finish.

Right now I'm on my third book of the year, "Be Here Now" by Ram Das, a very good introduction to mindfulness that I'm finding incredibly helpful on this journey.

Good thread, though!

15. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Yes, TED Talks is a great book, the biggest thing to take away from it is be yourself.
    It's better to talk being who we are, than talking like someone trying to be someonelse.

Also read The Power Game by Henrik Fexeus, a book about influencing people, with 64 ways to do it. Before reading it I used to think what was the difference between persuasion and manipulation, and, now after learning ways to persuade others, the difference is clear...

So how was the first book?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Deadlihood likes this.
  16. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Thank you for giving the insite about how this challenge works, and how multi-task affects reading.
    Started doing this in november, and learned many cool things, it was something that everyone needs to experience.

fapshooter likes this.
  17. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Thanks for the suggestion. And it was good! Started the sequel book a couple of days ago.

18. #1: Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen - Finished. Very very funny book. Highly recommended.
    #2: Kazuo Ishiguro: Nocturnes. I have read several books from Ishiguro before and they all were at least good, if not amazing (The buried Giant, When We Were Orphans).

Aiyoshi likes this.
  19. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

During week 3, read "How to Make Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie, it's so far one of the 3 books that I'd recommend for everyone.
    In this book Dale teachs humans relations and persuasion, and the most important I learned from it is how being genuine interested in people and activly listening to them are the most important thing to do in order to influence their actions.

Also finished listening to the "Thing and Grow Rich" audiobook posted previously, and I gotta say, Napoleon Hill, the autor of the original book, teached me how to be successful at everything I want to do. Also would recommend to anyone. The other book I'd recommend is The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.

Deleted Account likes this.