1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

21 years and still not sure about my career. I need help

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by pantuflasdecoco, Oct 28, 2018.

1. pantuflasdecoco

pantuflasdecoco Fapstronaut

Hello. This is gonna be a long post, I apologize but I think it's necessary.

I'm in a point in my life where I need once and for all to decide what I want in my life.

I've always been really insecure. In short, I spent my whole life depressed and suffering. Since I was 14 years old I spent my life wanting to die.

In this moment I'm on the 16 day of my streak, and I feel that I'm finally actually commited to this. (I'm trying NoFap since february this year and up to this day my longest streak was 22 days.) I feel this is the very first streak where I don't feel wanting to come back to PMO.

In June of this year I started talking with a colleague of mine in Conservatory. We are in the same class since this year started, but we never talked until then. From that point, we became friends and we became really close. In short, I found the friend I always searched for, and the one I feel I never had. He is a 'before-and-after' point in my life, thanks to him I got to know more people and gained new friends, I jointed his rock band, and I finally had and have someone with whom I feel entirely heard, loved, and actually understood. Knowing him and his friends radically improved my life, my communication skills improved a lot, as well as my feeling that there is hope, and I started living with more humour. I stopped thinking about commiting suicide, and I'm so happy that I feel I finally renounced to that idea.

I feel that this whole experience with my new friend and his friends, alongside this current streak I'm in, are giving birth to a new me. The one I always wanted.

But I still don't know what I want in this life I always desperately wanted to leave. I feel that only from when I was 17 y/o onwards I started having actual and sincere and real interests in my life. And I feel really immature these days, I feel that because of my lack of experiences in socializing, talking to people, lack of partner relationships (I only had 1 girlfriend in my life, lasted 2 months, when I was 17, it was a disaster), a compelte lack of labor experiences (I never had a job.) I feel that maybe because of all that is that I’m... kind of living my childhood in this age, since I was 17. I feel like I was born at 17, that my life started from that point.

The world expects you to know what you want to do in life, but you can only define that if you’ve been exposed to different fields, and only if you already had various interests. I started having them fairly recently, and I feel maybe because of that is that I feel so indecisive.

I’ve always had an intense hatred against myself, and againts anything that constitues ‘me’. I think that’s a strong reason why I’m still so indecisive about my own interests. Another reason is the one I gave earlier: the relatively recent birth of my own real interests.

Now I’m 21 and I need to once and for all stop avoiding the problem that I’m still not sure about which career I want. I’ve been studying music in Conservatory in the last 3 years, but sometines trying to escape the music study for some other things. Over all my experience was this:

2010-2014 High school

2015 CBC (Introductory year of the University of Buenos Aires) for the Philosophy career. (lasted 2 months) alonside a Japanese language course (all year long). Almost all year only that course once a week. The rest of the time inside home, wasting my time, doing nothing.

2016 Second Japanese language course (lasted 3 months), and first year of Conservatory (whole year)

2017 Third Japanese language course (lasted 1 month), and second year of Conservatory (whole year)

2018 Firste year of ‘Audiovisual Arts’ (Cinema / Video edition) career, and third year of Conservatory (both whole year)

I live with my parents. I never had a job.

In Argentina there are public and free universities. My father only paid for my high school and the Japanese language courses. The careers I attended (Conservatory and this year Audiovisual Arts) are both in public universities, therefore, free. He gives me money only for the bus to get there.

I think I always wanted to somehow escape Conservatory. It’s weird. I always loved it because of its people, and I tolerate the study even though I don’t put effort as much as I should.

But there was always something... something that makes it not perfect, and maybe I always wanted everything to be perfect and ideal. That ‘something’ was me feeling hypocritic and empty for devouting myself to something I never loved and never will love: classical music, avant-garde music and academic music. (except very few exceptions) I never was refined in my music tastes. Recently I switched for more simple music that finally make me feel full in my soul, actually happy.

This year I decided to start studying this ‘Audiovisual Arts’ career in order to put an end to my time in Conservatory and finally start a ‘real career’, and do it 4 years straight, and graduate of something. And ironally enough, this year I felt happy in the Conservatory like never before. But I doubted so much about continuing study that career because of not really loving music. And it’s not just that, I feel hypocritic and empty whenever I talk with people in Conservatory. In short: all people who study there, they actually love music, they actually love studying it and they’re proud of being there and devout themselves to their instruments despite all criticism from society which see musicians as lazy people. They’re proud and happy of their choice, and they study hard, and they really are commited to their choice. And I feel so like a fraud among all those people.

Being totally honest, the reason I never leaved Conservatory was because going there worked as ‘therapeutical’ for me all this time. I valued that (the place, the vibes, the kind of people there is) over the study of music. It is maybe the only place where I feel similar to other people, the only world where I felt like part of society.

And I studied both careers all year long, and I always hated the Audiovisual Arts environment. But I hold back that because I couldn’t drop out another career again, after all this time. It was unacceptable. But I’m droping it out: I attended classes all year long but this month there are the final examans and I didn’t show up to any of them.

And at the same time, I realize I’m on half my way on Conservatory. I only have 2 and a half years left. It’s not so much. I almost finish it.

But do I want it?

Why do I doubt so much?

The response I give to myself is that I won’t like teaching piano. That’s because I don’t like studying piano, academically. I don’t like having to study so much music that do not generate anything within me, for not saying I hate it.

And I reached a good level on piano. I could teach private classes. I don’t feel I will be a bad teacher anymore. It’s not that. Now I feel I am capable. But not sure I want to do it.

In short: I don’t know what I want as a career, what a I want as a job in the future. Sometimes I feel like with only one simple job but having friends and family close to me that would be enough to live happy.

I feel like such a fake and empty person.

But I think I say this only for the music. For having devouted so much time to its study, to being in that little world among all kinds of musicians and feeling... I don’t love music that much. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, I feel that I do love it, but only in specific cases. Maybe it’s that it’s not the thing I love the most in life. It may be that.

I have a couple of interests that I stopped to doubt about: the study of the Japanese language and culture, a general interest in the study of foreign languages and cultures (even though I studied only English, French, Japanese and a little of Persian/Farsi)

Now I have a great interest in spiritual Christianity. I recently found the views of Tolstoy about it and I love it, I’m reading a book by him.

An interest in World’s religions in an antropological way; in World’s societies; an small but real interest in Philosophy (more Eastern than Western, actually any Philosophy that I feel talks about real things I can see in the world). This year for the first time I became actually interested in Politics, but after having seen so much videos and read many things I see the world as a great battlefield where most people only care about being part of groups, being part of an ideology, and very few seek truth and morals.

-------------------

Hola. Este va a ser un post largo. Me disculpo pero siento que es necesario.

Estoy en un punto en que necesito de una vez por todas definir qué quiero en mi vida.

Siempre fui indeciso. Básicamente pasé toda mi vida deprimido y sufriendo. Pasé mi vida queriendo morir.

En este momento estoy en el día 16 de mi racha y siento que por fin estoy comprometido de verdad. Siento que es mi primera racha en la que no siento deseos de volver atrás.

En junio de este año empecé a hablar con un chico que es compañero mío desde principio de año. Y a partir de que empezamos a hablar en junio, nos volvimos amigos y nos volvimos muy cercanos. En una palabra, encontré al amigo que tanto buscaba y siento que nunca tuve. Él es un antes y un después en mi vida, gracias a él conocí más amigos y por fin tuve y tengo a alguien con quien me siento totalmente escuchado, querido, y entendido de verdad. Conocerlo a él y a sus amigos mejoró radicalmente mi vida, mejoró mucho mi capacidad de hablar con los demás, de sentir que hay esperanza, de vivir con más humor. Dejé de pensar por una vez en suicidarme y ya siento que por fin renuncié a esa idea.

Siento que con toda esta experiencia con mi nuevo amigo y sus amigos, y con esta nueva racha, por fin está naciendo el yo que siempre quise.

Pero todavía no sé qué quiero hacer en esta vida de la que siempre quise irme. Siento que sólo a partir de los 17 años empecé a tener intereses reales en mi vida. Y me siento muy inmaduro en estos días, siento que por mi enorme falta de experiencias socializando y hablando, falta de experiencias de pareja, falta literal de experiencias de trabajo, siento que estoy viviendo mi infancia desde los 17 hasta ahora. El mundo te exige que sepas qué querés hacer, pero uno solo puede definir eso una vez que fue expuesto a muchos campos, y una vez que ya tuvo varios intereses. Yo empecé a tenerlos relativamente hace poco, y creo que por eso todavía me siento tan indeciso.

Siempre tuve un extremo desprecio hacía mi mismo y todo lo que sea yo. Esa es una fuerte razón de por qué veo que todavía soy tan indeciso con mis propios intereses. Otra razón es la que acabo de dar: el nacimiento relativamente hace poco de los propios intereses.

La cuestión es que tengo 21 años y todavía no tuve nunca un trabajo, y todavía no estoy seguro de qué carrera seguir y qué camino tomar en la vida en el sentido vocacional-laboral. Este es un problema del que vengo escapando hace ya demasiado tiempo y no puedo ni quiero dejar pasar un día más. Necesito enfrentarlo y solucionarlo ya.

2010-2014 secundaria

2015 CBC Filosofía (2 meses) y curso de japonés (todo el año), después sólo curso de japonés

2016 Segundo curso de japonés (tres meses) y primer año conservatorio (todo el año)

2017 Tercer curso de japonés (1 mes) y segundo año conservatorio (todo el año)

2018 Primer año de artes audiovisuales (todo el año) y tercer año de conservatorio (todo el año)

Creo que siempre quise escapar del conservatorio. Siempre lo amé por su gente, y el estudio lo tolero aunque no me esfuerzo. Pero siempre hubo algo, algo que evitaba que sea perfecto, y quizá yo siempre quise que todo sea perfecto, ideal. Ese algo era sentirme hipócrita por dedicarme a algo que siento que no amo ni amaré nunca: la música clásica, la música de vanguardia, toda música académica.

Nunca fui refinado en mi gusto por la música. En el último tiempo me incliné a música simple pero con la que por fin me siento lleno, realmente feliz.

Este año decidí meterme en Artes Audiovisuales para poner fin al conservatorio, en el que este año me sentí tan bien como nunca antes me había sentido, pero que por la cuestión de amar a la música no quería hacer la carrera completa. Y también es por sentirme hipócrita y vacío cuando hablo con mis compañeros. Todas las personas que estudian ahí conmigo realmente aman la música, y me siento tan falso y vacío estando entre ellas.

Si soy totalmente sincero, la razón de por qué nunca me fui del conservatorio fue más por su función terapéutica sobre mí (por el ambiente, el aire, el tipo de personas que hay) que por el estudio concreto de la música

Y cursé todo el año ambas carreras, pero siempre odié el ambiente de Artes Audiovisuales. Lo aguanté porque no podía volver a abandonar otra carrera. Era inaceptable. Y lo estoy haciendo. Cursé todo el año pero este mes fueron los exámenes y no me presenté a ninguno.

Y al mismo tiempo, me doy cuenta que en el conservatorio estoy a la mitad de la carrera. No me queda más que 2 años y medio. No queda mucho. Ya casi lo logro.

¿Pero lo quiero?

¿Por qué dudo tanto?

Me respondo que es porque no me gustará dar clases de piano. Y porque no me gusta estudiar piano, académicamente. No me gusta tener que estudiar tanta música que no me genera nada, por no decir odio.

Y llegué a un buen nivel en piano. Podría dar clases. No siento que si me esfuerzo, seré un mal profesor. No es eso. Creo que sí soy capaz. Pero no sé si quiero.

En una palabra: No sé qué quiero como carrera, a qué dedicarme. Siento que con un trabajo sencillo de por vida pero con amigos y familia ya puedo morir feliz.

Me siento una persona tan vacía y falsa.

Pero creo que digo esto sólo por la música. Por dedicar tanto tiempo, años, a estar en un mundo entre músicos y sentir muchas veces… que no amo tanto la música. No sé qué me pasa, siento que sí la amo, pero en casos concretos. Tal vez siento que no es lo que más amo en la vida. Debe ser eso.

Tengo intereses de los que dejé de dudar: el estudio del idioma y la cultura japonesa (un interés real) y un interés en los idiomas y culturas del mundo en general, aunque estudié concretamente sólo inglés, francés, japonés y un poco de persa. Un interés grande y sincero en el cristianismo espiritual, en las religiones del mundo en un sentido antropológico, en las sociedades del mundo, un interés no tan dedicado, leve pero sí presente en la filosofía (más oriental que occidental), la filosofía que hable de cosas reales que observo en el mundo. Este año por primera vez me interesé de verdad en la política y descubrí mis posturas políticas, aunque después de ver tantos videos y leer cosas veo que la política es una guerra entre bandos y muy pocos buscan la verdad y la moral.

2. I didn’t read it all, that was a lot.

I worked on airplanes since my Navy days, 18-24. But I was waffling between becoming a teacher or staying with airplanes for a while. I was in jr. college then university. Not until I was 30 did I decided to just stay an aircraft mechanic. Been doing it ever since.

So chosing one’s permanent career might not come right away.

3. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I'm 35 years old and still working dead end jobs.

Next September I am returning to university. In the mean time, I am doing another A level, studying towards a Diploma in cello playing, putting on a concert or two etc. While still working my dead end job.

21 is no age. Don't give up, the more qualifications you can get under your belt the better. Jobs will come. Keep an open mind, ask what other people are doing and don't expect your first job to be your forever career. It will happen!