1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

2 weeks after telling my wife. Life is so much better now

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by addictedhusband, May 1, 2017.

1. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Something like this, registering your last three or so streaks:

60-14-10...............PMO

2. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

I tried many times to quit with varying degrees of motivation while being married. I too eventually told my wife. I had gotten to the point where I so didn't want to continue PMO that I felt I needed to. By keeping it hidden I was secretly hoping that I could always return to PMO since my wife didn't know. I didn't want to really be accountable.

My wife was very understanding, didn't get angry, and is supportive. That made it a good experience for me. But I realize that isn't necessarily what others will experience.

Ultimately revealing this was liberating for me. I also think it helped my wife to make better sense of me and our relationship. But it is worth noting we have to be careful. Sharing too much or too early could be very painful for a spouse and could even be counterproductive. Sharing every intimate detail of your struggle going forward may also not always be wise. I'm not saying we should keep things hidden. I'm just saying we have to be prudent for the sake of our spouse. It may feel good for us to freely share but the spousal relationship is not always the best place for every detail.

3. addictedhusband

addictedhusband Fapstronaut

Thanks for all the comments. Addiction is a tough problem to get rid of. It is like smoking : from 10 persons that try to quit, one will succeed. 9 will go back to smoke, but then 9 will try again and 2 will succeed and so on. The point is: we are all human, imperfect. What matters is to keep trying. And keep it positive. I have noticed that negative feelings will make me want to go back to PMO.

A test for me is coming up: my wife and kids are leaving town to visit family for 2 weeks. Usually I would binge badly on PMO. I am already making a list of things to do to keep me busy and i have a couple of appointments with my therapist. Will see what happens. Wish me luck !