1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by Empyrean'96

1. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    Not sure about that. He has never really answered the question whether he believes in God or not and says the Bible is a story. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing but he's psychologist, not a theologian.
    Mar 3, 2018
    Deleted Account likes this.
  2. SolitaryScribe
    SolitaryScribe
    That may be true, but in today's world where everyone wants some kind of scientific evidence, he's the best chance we have at reaching those people. He' a modern day pastor, he brings people to really think about the reality of the human condition and the need for ancient wisdom only found in religion.
    Mar 5, 2018
  3. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    You might be right... In someways he's like Rob Bell. In regards to reaching people this all depends on what is Christianity. I'm pretty sure the average evangelical would reject his view of what Christianity is. If he's bringing a false representation of Christianity is he any better than the new atheists? What's better a false representation or disbelief?
    Mar 7, 2018
  4. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    But I don't know. I still struggle with my doubts. I don't know what it means to be a Christian nowadays. Some of what Peterson says about the Bible I agree with but he appears to be a mythicist. I still think Jesus was a historical figure. I could be wrong but I think it's unlikely I'm not.
    Mar 7, 2018
  5. SolitaryScribe
    SolitaryScribe
    I haven't really found any of his views to be heterodox. Though he says the bible is composed of stories, he never says that they've never happened. Which in retrospect he is correct. It's not in his field to argue the historicity of the bible so he never goes that route, rather he looks at the important lessons within the biblical narrative.
    Mar 7, 2018
  6. SolitaryScribe
    SolitaryScribe
    Whether he actually believes in God or not, I think is irrelevant. He causes people to think outside of their own materialist work view and question things on a fundamental basis.
    Mar 7, 2018
  7. vxlccm
    vxlccm
    @Surfing Poet don't ever let having doubts cause you to forget your faith. I "hear" it in your posts, in your manner. You have faith. The light and creation and beauty of the world is real and intentional and loving :)
    Mar 9, 2018
  8. Deleted Account
    Deleted Account
    @vxlccm I have some sort of faith but I struggle with it. Some things just don't make sense to me.
    Mar 11, 2018
    Deleted Account and vxlccm like this.
  9. vxlccm
    vxlccm
    Such is faith. I like the movie Life of Pi like that. Open-ended. And, the movie Little Boy. These aren't blatant beating people down with faith. But, an invitation to entertain our beliefs. I've felt the power of Jesus change my life. May you find it, as well!
    Mar 12, 2018