1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A small issue

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Hey Guys,
    So some of you might have seen my earlier post about improving myself. I've been working on it, and hope to see some results soon.

But I seem to have run into a small problem. I can't stop thinking about getting a girlfriend.

I spend way too much time thinking about how to get one, or how others are so lucky that they have one, or how nice it would be if i had one right now. Sexual thoughts are there too.

I'm thinking so much, that I'm getting depressed because of it (and i relapsed too). This cycle started after i recently got (kinda) rejected by this one girl.

I know that my obsession is unhealthy, and that thinking so much is not going to help the situation in any way, but i just feel helpless.

Maybe I feel like that because I'm lonely, or because I'm just jealous of everyone who has girls. i don't really know.

I just wanted to have a girlfriend for the experience, companionship, the idea of having someone you can really be intimate with (both emotionally and physically).

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

(Just in case this helps: I'm 22, never even hugged a girl, never had a girl interested in me, most girls stop talking to me after a while. I do stuff that interests me, like i tried starting a YouTube channel, and i tried blogging and stuff. I like playing games, I like talking to people. I keep trying to do many things, and hope to find my calling in my life, but this whole girlfriend thing is getting to my head)

JohnnyReid likes this.
  2. Drew140

Drew140 Guest

Have you ever been on a date?

3. nope, like i said, never even gotten close to one.

4. Karimtolstoi

Karimtolstoi Fapstronaut

Don't panic my friend just keep talking to people and socialiazing with them but don't be too nice... take every opportunity to open talking with people and treat them as your friends. Other things will come later.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. JohnnyReid

JohnnyReid Fapstronaut

I'm no psychologist, but I've found in my own life that diverting sexual energy into other forms of energy can be helpful. You're well aware of the fact that obsessing over getting a girlfriend isn't healthy, and that it's most likely a deterrent to potential mates. That's awesome. Good on you!

Even though you have hobbies, such as your YouTube channel, blogs, there still seems to be excess energy there. Right? Can you set yourself a challenge to be the best version of yourself for like 30 days (or however long?), and see where it takes you? Work on yourself. Journal your aspirations and reflections, and keep on journaling your aspirations and reflections. Do you want to get more ripped with calisthenics or weight lifting? Do you want to volunteer for a charity organisation? Do you want to prepare for bachelors or post-grad college study? Do you want to start learning guitar, or something else? Do you want to eat cleaner? Do you want to start some sort of side hustle? Do you want to learn that language you've been meaning to learn for ages? Are there any innovations you can make at work, which might take a bit of creative thinking? Do you want to start reading widely? Do you want to start hiking, kayaking, bike riding? Do you want to start waking up early, and going to bed early? Do you want to treat others with just a little more kindness? Do you want to do random acts of kindness for strangers? Do you want to be kinder to your parents, take meaningful steps to show your appreciation? Do you want to be more encouraging to others in pursuing their dreams? Do you want to travel to expand your worldview, and understanding? There are so many paths you can take to be the best version of yourself. What I've suggested there is a drop in the ocean of all the possibilities. You determine what that version, that vision of yourself should be.

You should be able to say, when you collapse in bed at night, that you gave it your all that day. You didn't waste a second of the day. You should be exhausted. And give yourself credit when you do manage to smash it!

One specific technique I've found helpful with dealing with sexual urges is to breathe deep, and hold it. Imagine viscerally that the air inside your lungs is all that pent up sexual energy. Feel it. Acknowledge it. Appreciate it while you're holding it there. Then release the air and the thoughts that go with it. It works with seeing some attractive nearby, too; feel that attraction in the pent up air in your lungs, then release it. Once you've done that, move on and go kill the day! :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Nymeria

Nymeria Fapstronaut

I was in a smilar boat, the problem with me was, i felt i wasnt enough, and felt i would never be happy until i had a gf, and that once i had a girlfriend, everything will be so perfect and happy. Deep down i learned i was looking for validation and approval, and then brain washing myself into thinking happiness will be achieved through getting with a girl. I wanted someone to "love" me

Fast forward to today, I'm still single, never had a girlfriend, but i don't care anymore. I practice compassion, gratitude, forgiveness, creative visualisation and self love. I have come to love myself for who i am, i create my own happiness, and this has taken my worries away and need for acceptance and love from others in my life.

It seems to me you are experiencing what i did. Id like to recommend a book called "Code of the extraordinary mind" This taught me all i need to know and has helped me play dodgeball with depression, and i am currently winning!

JohnnyReid likes this.
  7. Drew140

Drew140 Guest

Why do you think girls stop talking to you?

8. Because I'm not really a charmer, i think. Or maybe because I don't say the right things. I don't know, really

9. I will try the 30 day thing you mentioned, and the breathing technique. I guess I was just seeking some kind of validation, or something. I hope it gets better.

It felt much better since I posted here, but I want it to go away completely.

JohnnyReid likes this.

10. I will definitely find that book. I think I'm looking for validation too, somehow.
    Glad to know you made it through your troubles.

Nymeria likes this.
  11. Drew140

Drew140 Guest

It's not about charm but self confidence.