1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Arguing on NoFap = A Waste of Time?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Human beings are funny little creatures. We will squabble about all sorts of things just because it's in our nature to do so. Half of us concern ourselves with building up a perfect system of knowledge whilst the other half busy ourselves with pulling it all down.

Imagine a world of utter silence where no-one even felt the need to argue.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

Respectfully - IGY - he really didn't mean anything bad. When he used that word he was simply saying that he thinks you know more than you're giving yourself credit for. It was more a compliment than an insult.

I'm not picking on you - but I think this was an example of how not to argue. When one person looks up a specific word and picks specific words out of that definition to draw a conclusion about a statement that was not at all meant by the other party.

I have a tendency to do this when I'm studying - I'll start diving into details of an idea and soon I'll have forgotten what the idea even was in my obsession with the components of the idea. when one gets caught up in specifics the larger statement can lose it's meaning and the discussion becomes futile.

:emoji_v:

3. Sorry, looking back I didn't explain myself very well. What I meant was that there's no point in making arguments that have already been made and starting new threads that argue the very things that were argued by another person.
    It isn't just debates, other topics like music has it too. I don't think we need 10 threads asking people what music inspires them - we only need 1. I think part of the problem is that certain threads don't get sticked to the top of the page so I guess people are unaware that there's thread already on the subject. To be fair I saw one mod closing down one thread because there was another about the same thing, but such actions are a rarity. I guess NoFap doesn't have enough mods to do such a thing which is a shame.

I've been rethinking the issue of arguments being repeated by different users. Maybe, sometimes, there's value in repeating an argument because sometimes things can be missed or there can be misunderstandings. But I think if you're going to take part in a debate you should read all the posts in the thread so you know what's been said. Having said that it's still possible to miss stuff. Some might be like me and suffer from dyslexia and as a results might misread things. Personally, I know it's best to read something at least three times since my mind adds and takes away words in a sentence.

I would also like to add I don't decide what gets debated. I used the word "I think" on purpose because it's what I think but as I said I've been been rethinking things since my last post on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017
  4. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

Ah, I see. I agree with you. There are too many duplicate posts.

5. I must say reading some of the replies on this thread changed my view since I started it.

Yes we're unlikely to change someone mind instantly but weeks, months or years after they might change their mind. I think in that case though such a rebuffal has to be a good for it to remain in someone's mind.

And also as @franco216 pointed out there's people who just read the threads without commenting and someone's argument might convince them.

I guess the thing I don't like is when someone resorts to name calling. When people do that they've lost the argument plus it shows a lack of self-control. It used to happen sometimes on this forum but it appears that such people have since left this forum.

6. It kind of depends. If youre arguing to be a know it all and stroke your ego then thats all its good for. Some people just rant and dont ever bother to listen to the other side. True debate is constructive. I've changed many of my view points and have become more educated on many issues via debate. Two people acting like dickheads and trying to win doesnt really count as an argument.

7. Yes, it helps if you be humble in the debates. If you get something wrong I think it's important to acknowledge your mistake.

8. Yesterday I listen to this debate on abortion. I was really impressed with both debaters, despite debating a subject that can cause people to get all work up they were both calmly and respectfully voicing their opinion without shouting or name calling.

9. Dude, chill. First off, even though he is using words that aren't commonly used, he has the right to do so. Secondly, I think the best idea would be to channel that anger you have at his using of extremely uncommon words, and use that anger to improve your own vocabulary, so that when someone else talks in the same way to you, you will be able to smile to myself and think: Ha! I know what this guy is saying, even though most people don't.

Use your anger to make yourself smarter, stronger, and better. :)