1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is taking a cold shower meant to be hard/uncomforatble?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ZenPhysics, May 10, 2017.

1. ZenPhysics

ZenPhysics Fapstronaut

Hi guys.
    I woke up early this morning(around 4am), so I decided to take a cold shower before breakfast for the first time in my life.

It was a rather uncomfortable experience; I started by sprinkling just my limbs, then I had to tell myself a couple of times that "I wouldn't die" before showering my torso. All I wanted to do was stop and jump in a hot tub throughout the whole session. I did feel better after I dried up though, because my body started generating this strange warmth.
    I'm currently enjoying my day out the house, but I'm not sure how that shower is helping me right now.

Is it always going to be like this, or will I get used to it? I'm currently having a good day, but what exactly are the benefits of cold showers? Any specific tips on having a good shower session(time, method etc.)?

Some questions for the cold shower veterans out there :)

2. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

Yes. I love them now! Just count to 3 and jump in. The sooner you do that, the better the shower will get.

3. Degman

Degman Fapstronaut

Cold showers are definitely uncomfortable at first however after about 5 showers they will feel absolutely amazing. What I suggest is that you start with hot water for the first 30 seconds just to spray water all over your body so it isn't a complete shock when you switch to cold water.

The time doesn't really matter but I recommend you to take a cold shower whenever you get strong urges because it eliminates them rather quickly.

Another benefit of these showers is that they significantly increase alertness and remove brain fog.

You can find some more benefits here: http://www.menprovement.com/benefits-of-cold-showers/

Warrior Within likes this.
  4. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

I started off with warm water. But don't do that anymore, now I start doing it Spartan style and go cold right off the bat.

Warrior Within and AriAmaa like this.
  5. KeZhengHao

KeZhengHao Fapstronaut

Same here, the first like 3 or 4 times were pretty rough, but now I sometimes take them instead of warm showers just because they feel so nice.

ZenPhysics likes this.
  6. ZenPhysics

ZenPhysics Fapstronaut

Thanks guys! So I guess I will get used to it, in a good way. I was starting to consider the possibility that my body is less tolerant of cold water than others.

7. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

Yes, it is meant to be hard. One benefit of cold showers is as with anything hard it makes you mentally stronger.

I found it took many before I got comfortable with them. Now I prefer them. But still every time I take one I'm a bit hesitant to. For me getting my back wet is hardest. My routine is to get my head wet then my back. The quicker I do that the easier it is. Once I've done that then I'm fine.

For me if I've been active they are much easier. If I've been sitting around or just woke up they are harder. So really the best ones are when I've been inactive because those take the most commitment.

ZenPhysics likes this.
  8. Don't do them if you have a testicular cyst, though. It'll enlarge and become very painful right away.

ZenPhysics likes this.
  9. RapnRoll

RapnRoll Fapstronaut

Whether a cold shower is comfortable or uncomfortable is completely in the mind I think. I used to try doing them and I'd try that whole slowly get in the shower and it was horrible. You've literally just got to say fuck it, count to 3 and jump in. It's a shock but you get used to that shock. The more you tell yourself "don't do it" or "i'll do it next time" the more you get comfortable not doing it. Turn the shower on, set it to the coldest you can and just jump in without even questioning it. You get used to the cold and the shock.

10. Fink93

Fink93 Fapstronaut

i just went into the shower turned it to cold. the first couple of seconds i was just telling myself "oh god get out what are you doing" then suddenly it even became bearable. after like 15 seconds to 40 seconds it was fine standing there taking the cold shower it was even a good feeling then, believe it or not.

LavaMe and ZenPhysics like this.
  11. ZenPhysics

ZenPhysics Fapstronaut

I've just taken a cold shower for the third time, the uncomfort is still there but believe it or not I'm starting to like it :) Thanks for all the advice

LavaMe likes this.
  12. balkanic_falcon

balkanic_falcon Fapstronaut

I practice cold shower in my reboot and it helps me much. I feel like i can do anything after cold shower. I have a friend who healed depression with cold shower. It's very healthy and helpful. I do it for almost 2 months and now i feel like i don't need warm shower ever again, because now i am used on cold shower so hot one brings me unpleasure. Keep it up and good luck. :)))

ZenPhysics likes this.
  13. Aarius

Aarius Fapstronaut

Have some fun with it! When I turn on the shower I struggle to take a steady breath because I shiver. But this shiver gives me a fun mental challenge, inhale and exhale in one steady breath.

Either your environment will influence your body or your brain will...

ZenPhysics likes this.