1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is facebook and social media in general a placebo to real interaction with people?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Captain K'nuckles, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Captain K'nuckles

Captain K'nuckles Fapstronaut

Looks like when people fail in socialize in real life they go for social media to simulate an interaction with a group of people, just thinking here...

2. And you think this simulation brought you here?

3. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

In many ways yes. I know a guy who lives in a rural area out in New Mexico (a state in USA) and since the population density is extreme low, he's really into making online friends.

In my opinion, it's not a real relationship but if there is a common interest, it may work. I've never tried it so I'm no expert.

4. Captain K'nuckles

Captain K'nuckles Fapstronaut

yes the common interests thing is a ruge factor, you start to loose interest in people around you(just my experiences).

5. Degman

Degman Fapstronaut

The best thing about online friends is that they can give you an honest advice about everything and it seems like they are always there for you. Despite all the benefits of having online friends I don't think they can serve as a substitute for real life interraction.

Captain K'nuckles likes this.
  6. Its pretty much an illusion. I did get to know a lot of my former online friends, none of them remained... the difference is simply to big. Yes its a substitute: a collection. Chatting with dozen of people at the same time, while not directly interacting with each other. It provides "security": thats why it happens as well between people that allready know each other. Nothing is as dificult as being "face-to-face". But since we have at the same time the wish that "someone is there for me" we use the internet etc as a "perfect" compromise: close enough to provide the feeling "someones there", distance enough to avoid any real "confrontation". We hide...thats my impression....