1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is physical attraction?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by staub, Mar 23, 2017.

1. staub

staub Fapstronaut

So, this is probably getting some mixed answers, so please only contribute if you have experience dating. (No offense, I myself would not answer here. However, feel free to join with questions yourself!)

So, here's my problem. I am signed up to an online dating site (a serious one) and a woman started talking to me. (she made the first step, which is something)
    She lives a bit further away but not too much (about 2 hours by car), but because of that I haven't met her yet.
    From character, personality and hobbies she's great. I enjoy writing with her, we share the same hobbies and interests, but,
    she's not my type, physically.
    She's not ugly but not the kind I would think about approaching to when seeing her somewhere.

Am I too superficial here? How much of a problem could that be?

Vague questions, I know but certainly someone knows or has been in this situation before.

2. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Hmm... why not go on a date and decide then? You might feel a different sort of attraction when you meet her personally. I know it is far, but you can still go there and go back on a single day, apparently. Physical attraction is important, but you should not worry about getting a sexy girlfriend so you can show her to your friends or something. Just observe how she makes you feel when she's standing right in front of you.

3. staub

staub Fapstronaut

This is what I was gonna do anyway. The last time I went on a date it was similar but when I met her in person it would have been fine. Back then it was her that wasn't interesting.
    This time, maybe it is the same. :)

And yeah, I'm not looking for someone to show off with, I want someone to be happy with and enjoy the time spent with.

4. PineappleMan

PineappleMan Fapstronaut

Well in my opinon you have to be attracted to a woman/or man in both ways (physically and mentally) to completly fall in love.
    But yeah you dont know it until you try it out and maybe you will discover her beauty when you see her.

I would love to know how the date went :) Wishing the best for you!

I Free I and NF SINCE BIRTH like this.
  5. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Well I asked her about meeting, so I'll find out. I'll keep you updated.
    The distance is a problem for us, though, not sure how people get into long distance relationships in the first place... :p

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  6. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

It would be a problem for me, too. I can imagine being in a long distance relationship with someone I've known for a long time, but hardly with someone I just met. Anyway, that's me, not you.

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  7. I have been on one internet date in my life. I thought she was really hot on the pictures. Almost fell in love with her before we met, lol. Then I met her and she was much shorter than I expected, pretty shy and the chemistry just wasn't there. We went on a second date but after that I figured out that it was not worth it.

8. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

Its very important if you're looking to possibly get into a more serious relationship with her in the future. If you are not physically attracted to her, move on.

9. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Did not yet post an update but might as well now. :)

@Runtilmylegsdropoff - You're right.
    I've been on a date with her by now and even though our interests and characters really were a good match, there were also a few things that were not.
    Not only in the looks departement.
    Nofap taught me to appreciate a lot more women than before but there is a limit to what goes. That might be different for anyone, though.

So, as a generall update for the others, (@PineappleMan ) the date went well but no further dates either are set or will be.
    So I'm back to looking. *sigh*

Runtilmylegsdropoff likes this.
  10. Will_power_now

Will_power_now Fapstronaut

First impression is important. This includes the physic and the charisma.

I Free I likes this.
  11. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

What is a serious one? One you pay for? These are the most unserious ones. Don't give them money, for god's sake, please.

Tesslynne likes this.
  12. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Yes, one you pay for. But they only want 10€ for 90 days. I know the big ones and they are insane, demanding 250+ for a year.
    10 for 90 days was okay to try. Also no contract or something, one time payment.

13. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

Please cancel your membership, right now.

They are interested in your money, so they are interested to make your stay as long as possible.
    They are sitting on the database. They can control which contacts they are presenting to you. They cxan even be sending fake contacts to you.

If any at all, then only go with free dating sites.

But I recommend to socialize, to find friends and to find a partner in real life.

The Consigliere, staub and I Free I like this.
  14. I Free I

I Free I Guest

All I can say is ... Sometimes you never know who you might fall in love with ! :emoji_key:

Kenzi likes this.
  15. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Read more carefully but thank you for your condern. :) (And yes you are right as with any site that requires a membership. This one was only for writing first, my first date wrote me first and we were able to have a normal conversation, no restriction.
    As is said, there is no membership or anything, they wanted a one time payment of 10€ for 3 months with no follow up.
    And since I got 2 dates from there already there are even some humans among there.

Maybe there is also a bit lost in translation, it's not about sex dates or anything like that but rather finding real relationships.
    I'm writing this as there are a shit-ton of these sex-dating sites that want a hilarious amount of money and have tons of suxually starved women writing all these messages before you even signed up.
    (Yes, I was interessted at some point, but obviously did not pay!)

And to extend, I don't plan on paying it again. It was fun this one time but that's about it. And I gained a lot from nofap (which I started after that) in the socialize department.
    Mainly, I have no problem talking to girls anymore. Still no idea what to say but that is simply missing excercise. Also, it's actually a lot of fun talking to the other sex. Maybe that is why it is called "the game". Even if I suck at it. :D

The two hours were a hindrance but if the date would have went well I was ready to find a way, the distance is quite managable. (Driving this distance in car only comes to around 20€, both ways).

16. staub

staub Fapstronaut

Yeah the more I did all that online dating I came to believe this myself.
    Meeting someone in real life has the tremendous advantage that you know you'll like her looks (and pictures are always not showing the full image)
    Also writing with someone is one thing but talking to them in real life is where the chemistry has to happen. And sometimes something that was there in writing, isn't when meeting in person.

SnowWhite likes this.
  17. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

It's possible, but more likely on free sites and only with a good instinct. Important is that you come very quickly to a real contact. Endless writing is not a good sign.

18. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

How do you know they are not paid by the site ?

19. staub

staub Fapstronaut

I've met both in real life and the second one (the one I started this topic about) was apparently somewhat in love, she took my "not interested" not so well.
    Also, she came to spend the night prepared with everything (yes she brought condoms) ^^
    Furthermore, because of the distance (she came to me first) I drove her home and now know where she (and her family as she lives with her parents and sister) lives.

I don't know what sites you have in mind, still thinking maybe we're talking about different kind of dating sites. :p

I am however also seriously thinking about how to implement your advice on socializing. I realize that I do want to and the problem is not me starting a conversation (not anymore) but the flow of conversation itself. My mind kinda goes blank after the initial few sentences and especially if she answers them rather shortly, which might also indicate that my questions were not engaging enough, maybe?

20. Tesslynne

Tesslynne Guest

If you have the time to (one of my biggest issues in dating is my lack of time), and IF you have them where you live, how do you feel about going to something like meetup.com groups? A lot of them are free. They are more group things than dating, though they have singles groups too. For me, I don't tend to fancy the guys there, though I DID get one boyfriend out of it who I dated for 3 months and I REALLY liked him. But YOU might find girls you are attracted to at these groups and doing a common activity, I'm wondering if that would make it easier to chat to them? Like, I sometimes go to board games events or cultural ones, plus I've been to some dinners. Walks too. On the NON dinner ones, there can be more to talk about, like you can chat about the game you are playing, what you see on the walk etc? It DOES depend where you live, because they are only in certain cities and there may not be groups to your liking. It's just a thought.