1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

BJJ + Bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by hej då, Jan 31, 2017.

1. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

Hej guys.
    I wanted to ask you, as a noob, about combining these 2 sports.

I want to get bigger, stronger and have a batter looking body but at the same time I really enjoy BJJ. So the question is:

Is bjj gonna negatively affect my gainz?

2. finding_zen

finding_zen Fapstronaut

It won't affect those gainzz if you manage your diet correctly. The reason why extended cardio can put someone in a catabolic state (muscle loss) is because their body turns to breaking down muscle as a source of amino acids. So supplement with BCAAs before, during, and after (leucine in particular has been shown to decrease muscle catabolism), make sure you are eating plenty of healthy protein, carbs, and fats.

It definitely can be done you just need to eat more to keep growing haha. Mike O'Hearn is an example of a really big bodybuilder who trains judo multiple times a week.

hej då likes this.
  3. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

I used to train judo but I dislocated my shoulder on a competition and after that it just kept falling out of the socket more and more frequently.

ON TOPIC: BCAA before, during and after both bjj and the gym?

finding_zen likes this.
  4. finding_zen

finding_zen Fapstronaut

Ideally yes assuming you are doing gym/bjj on different days. Being budget conscious I'd recommend at minimum BCAAs during and before bjj, and let my diet take care of nutrition after bjj and before/during/after the gym. But BCAAs are one of those supplements, kind of like protein powder, where you can take it all day long and your body can put it to use.

If you are crazy like me I do a scoop of BCAA with my pre workout, a scoop of BCAA during my lifts (sometimes with gatorade if my diet can afford the calories), and a scoop of BCAA with my protein shake afterwards. I either go purely leucine or a BCAA blend with higher ratios of leucine.

Good article: https://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/protein/showarticle.aspx?id=807

Pepper M. likes this.
  5. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

Ok thanks man. I thought BCAA is only to be drunk during the training.
    There's a plenty of thing I still have to catch up with. Thanks man.

finding_zen likes this.
  6. finding_zen

finding_zen Fapstronaut

No problem man good luck with the training!

Pepper M. likes this.
  7. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

@finding_zen How about eggs? Are they allowed in the diet?

finding_zen likes this.
  8. finding_zen

finding_zen Fapstronaut

Think "food is fuel". So when it comes to diet, egg nutrition can be categorized as either 'egg whites' or 'whole eggs'. Egg whites are almost pure protein (no carbs or fat) and can be used as any other protein source. Whole eggs are also a good source of protein, but they are also a good source of fat and cholesterol. Depends on what your diet plan calls for really. If you are fat or cholesterol sensitive limit the amount of whole eggs in your diet. And beware of egg farts haha.

Rule of thumb = yes, eggs are allowed in the diet.

9. meagainsttheworld

meagainsttheworld Fapstronaut

it depends how much time you have. for me its difficult because of work. i cant focuse too much on diet. i dont gain a lot of muscle mass.

10. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

Turned out that training both sports exhausts me so I had a tough choice but I had to quit bjj.

11. NickyP

NickyP Fapstronaut

You may need to eat more carbohydrates. This is what I've learned recently from interviewing experts at Yale and Harvard during a recent job:

There is a myth that carbs are bad for you, when the truth may be that carbs are the one thing you can't eat too much of. Yes, there are bad carbs, like refined sugar.

So, you may need LESS protein and MORE carbs. When you have too much protein over the DV (which eating meat three times a day most certainly is), your body turns it into fat.

If you're looking to try a diet, try eating vegan for a week and see how you feel.

12. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

How does veganism affect the gainz.
    I'm not trying to lose weight.

13. Bjj will not have any negative impact on gaining muscle, but it would be far better to train for functionality rather than simply going to the gym and slinging some weight around in order to get bigger.

14. Blumpkin

Blumpkin Fapstronaut

Which miscer is this?

JesusGreen likes this.
  15. NickyP

NickyP Fapstronaut

I was talking more about your energy levels being down, ie your exhaustion. Veganism isn't a weight loss diet (can be), it's a performance diet and you can take protein supplements and build muscle at the same time.

16. The best vegan (plant-based is a much better term, I think. Vegan has too many stigmas attached.) protein supplements are hemp-based. You get the full spectrum of amino acids and your body can digest/assimilate it easily. Other than that, beans and grains will make up a significant part of your diet.

17. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

I would weightlift rather than bodybuild. Bodybuilding is just about building a physique whereas weightlifting/strength training/powerlifting is about strengthing the body and making it more powerful.

Basically, do free weight exercises rather than use machines. It will take longer to learn how to do the exercises properly, also they will tire you out more than machines so you will have to do less, but you will get more gain done right and also strengthen your entire body not neglecting your core and posterior chain as is often done by amateur bodybuilders who often have muscle imbalances.

Especially because you are doing two sports. Don't overtrain. You can take all the supplements you want but if you're burnt and overtraining it won't help you. Manage intensity when you weight lift. The concept that you have to train harder to get stronger is complete shit. Overtraining is the #1 thing young guys do wrong when working out. Sets don't need to be to failure. Low-intensity high volume is great for building mass. Use manageable weights and leave reps in the tank. Find a good program and read up on weight training don't just go into it blind. Mark Bell has a great youtube channel for weight training. Along with managing intensity, you need variation [ so your body doesn't adjust to what your doing, don't so the same thing all the time] periodization and progressive overload People tend to fuck up progressive overload and just add weight and end up working out with weight that are far too heavy and thus overtraining.

Heavy weights have to be managed. They will take a toll on your nervous system and lead to overtraining very quickly. You will need to study weightlifting there is a science to it. The good news is it's not complicated and has been known and out there since the 1970s.

I don't follow the health food industry anymore so I don't know what is what. But my experience in the past is that it is snake oil they tend to sell crap that is overpriced. A good healthy diet of unprocessed food is best. Lots of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Plenty of vegetables and fiber will keep you feeling healthy.

Extreme cardio, long intense runs will likely have a negative impact on your muscle and strength gains. You don't have to avoid it like the plague, as stamina is imperative for a fighter but don't do marathons if you want big muscles and manage your intensity on cardio as well. I don't have a ton of experience with Cardio, but I found that people tend to overtrain in that department as well and it will wear you out as well. When your body is overtrained it won't recover properly and you won't get stronger as quickly or at all sometimes you will get weaker.

18. SupBruh

SupBruh Fapstronaut

But that's what bodybuilders already do... They combine both.

This is true. I've done martial arts in combination with weightlifting before, and it sure takes a toll. You can't do all the pushups you'd usually do as your warm-up, at the gym you can't squat with the same intensity because you've spent a good deal of time running around.

You don't know what you're missing out on...

[​IMG]

19. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

Oh no, I know very well what I'm missing out but too much is too much. Especially if I get to go to a course and then work as a buss driver with shifts and stuff. I gathered that the bodybuilding would fit much better in the plan simply because I can go to the gym whenever I want/can unlike bjj. Maybe some day...

20. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

^ Don't wear yourself out working out. You should not feel tired the majority of the time.

hej då likes this.