1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My friend has repressed his emotions for years. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Namekian23, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Lately I've been having some issues with my best friend. Many of you may already know the scenario. Long story short, he's been teasing me constantly over the last year and a half over one topic: Getting a girlfriend. I think anyone would go insane if someone they knew and trusted for years suddenly turns a 180 on them. Even though we're still good friends, his arrogance, cocky behavior, and the way he approaches things as if he's a hot shot is annoying. I've done things in the past that may have hurt them deeply, and subconsciously he's getting back at me.

It's his first relationship, and while I've never been in one, I would say that I've had better luck talking to women than he did. The downside was that I was rejected more times than I could count. Strangely enough, he always seemed to point this out by constantly teasing me to get a girlfriend (not on bad intentions however). Worst of all, I'm getting to the point where I'm about to lose it with him. His girlfriend has never given me any problems; it's just him.

Now on to my main point, for the last year I've desperately asked him to stop his ways. But finally I know why he's like this, but I need some advice in order for us to move on. Recently, I've written him a 6 page letter expressing all my feelings to him. And for me being a very articulate writer, I'd knew he'd understand. I meant every word of it and expressed my deepest thoughts and concerns regarding us. However, all he sent me was a text saying "Thanks for your kind words."

From what I know, I thought that he would say more. Out of all the 22 years I've known him, he never expressed himself to me. He would tell me his problems, but never went any further. I'm just trying to figure out why he's been so aggressive with the teasing. Is he that mad at me for treating him badly in the past? Or is he just bringing out his own insecurities? Normally, he's a very outgoing kind of guy.

I want him to express his emotions to me. I think it's necessary, but unfortunately he claims himself as a very private person. He won't even tell his girlfriend anything personal, let alone me. Deep down I truly understand him now. I feel he's afraid to show his weaknesses and refuses to tell me how he feels. So far, no apology and no sympathy for the way he's treated me. It's been almost a month since we've seen each other. I've expressed myself to him, so why won't he? What the hell is he hiding and why is he so arrogate just because he has something I don't have? I've been hurt enough by him and my failures with women in general. As of now, if I hang out with him and he girlfriend again, it will be the same shit all over again.

2. Sailor93

Sailor93 Fapstronaut

That's a difficult situation man...nobody has answered yet because it's such a tough nut to crack I think.

I don't know how deep you have hurt him, but if you have written him such a long letter, without a serious reply, than your part is done, you're not to blame anymore. You write that you asked him to stop teasing you about the gfs and he keeps doing it, than there is something seriously wrong. A true friend stops when a friend asks him to stop. He might not realise it that he is hurting you. But as you write yourself, you have made it clear what was bothering you.

If he doesn't even share his feelings with his girlfriend, than this man is keeping shit inside, which someday will come out in some more radical way. Not good.

22 years is a long time for a friendship. People change a lot in 22 years, different interests, studies, work, goals, etc. Take some time off him. You haven't seen each other in a month, did you miss him? Let him take the next step.

Sharing your emotions with friends is important, and should always be possible. You might have been good playground and high school friends, but after this period in your life things start to change dramatically and people start to get different visions about what a friend should be/do.

My final advice: think about yourself. Dont meet up with him if he makes you uncomfortable/frustrated/angry/sad. You are doing this nofap challenge, and this usually creates a lot of (mental and pshysical) changes in a guys life. Its a tough challenge, especially if you are single and cant replace the fapping with real life sex. You are doing the right thing now, and if you can't share your feelings about this with a friend who keeps teasing you about having a gf, than fuck him!

I have the feeling that I haven't really given you a sufficient reply, I hope you can take something out of it.

Namekian23 likes this.
  3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

"Normally", he suppressed everything, and now it's exploding.

Namekian23 and Aiyoshi like this.
  4. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Sorry to say this, but you have to let go.
    If things keeps going this way, you two will only hurt each other.
    Which works better, juding and condemning others or caring and understanding? It takes time until we're able to love people for who they are, and once we're able to do it, life becomes so much better.
    I don't know your friend, but for what you said, he's someone who's afraid of being vunerable, and he deeply appreciates you being vulnerable with him.
    Feeling hurt make us act in negative ways that only bring more hurt, if he'll keep acting this way, you have to do something, something constructive.
    How do you feel about getting a gf? What about the friendship? Do you want to keep it or let it go? Since you care about him deeply, would you please forgive him? What can you do in order to deal with feeling hurt?

Namekian23 likes this.
  5. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

Welcome to the club. But I don't see it as "downside", I rather call it a necessary learning experience. Getting rejected hurts. But it's necessary to grow up.

Onyl I felt always sorry for the girl who rejected me, because I learned from it, and then another girl had the benefit from it.

BTW, I like the sentence "Better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all"

Aiyoshi, Namekian23 and Sailor93 like this.
  6. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I think you're right, I really have done my part because I've tried so hard to make him stop in the beginning. But surprisingly, I feel that all or most of it is my fault. I was the one who started this whole thing, and now I have to solve it. In reality, I've realized that he has suffered more than I have, and for him to hold all this in is dangerous. I know he's afraid, insecure, and lacks confidence just like me.

Also I'm taking your advice on staying away from him too. I've been feeling a little bit better not thinking about him now that he's out of my sight, and maybe it's time I should focus on myself for once. Work has been keeping me busy lately. However, in the end, he's still my friend and there's a reason why we've known each other for 22 years. I think one of these days he will understand; no one is invincible in a relationship, and everyone will get hurt one way or another. I hope he gets the idea someday.

Aiyoshi and Sailor93 like this.
  7. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Yes, after weeks of contemplating, I'm finally deciding to let it go. For the longest time, I've realized that I was the asshole, the loser, and the bad guy. It was my fault all along, and for him to hold this all in because he's afraid to show his vulnerability is dangerous. One can only tolerate so much, and it appears he's getting pushed against the corner.

As for me getting a girlfriend? I've tried so hard for many years, that I don't even care anymore. I've never been more focused on myself in my life. And as for our friendship, I know that I must be the one that has to act first. I must open myself up a little more, to show my own vulnerability, in order for him to earn my trust again. And yes, I do forgive him because in reality, he has suffered more than I have; he just doesn't show it. But now I've figured him out.

If he teases me again, I'll use his own tactic against him by holding it in. However, I'm holding it in for good reasons because in my mind, I already know my future, the type of girlfriend, and what I want in life. That's something that he has struggled with most during the time of our friendship. Other than that, one of these days he will suffer the same fate as I had. No one is invincible thinking that they're not going to get hurt. He'll soon find out the truth about relationships one day, and as always, I will be there for him as he was there for me.

Aiyoshi likes this.
  8. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I've had many learning experiences all those times when I was rejected by other women. However, sometimes when I look back, I'm kind of glad that it happened because it makes me appreciate the future women that will come into my life. Hurting someone is one thing, which you shouldn't do, but being hurt yourself, is another story. I've experienced both.

And you're right, sometimes there is a benefit to getting rejected. I realized that even though I got turned down many times, I gave myself credit for trying. Thus, I gained more confidence when I approached the next girl. And once in a while, you get to a find a special female friend as well. Those types of friends are good to hang on to, especially when you need advice when talking to other girls.

Aiyoshi and SnowWhite like this.
  9. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

That's the right attitude. You must let him go and he will find his way.

It's like with children - they need to make experiences. If you are helicoptering them, they do not learn.
    Sometimes you must simply close your eyes and let them go.

It seems you are pretty much a "helper" - like me, BTW ;)
    It's especially hard for me let my girlfriend go, when I see that she struggles. But when I help her all the time, I burn up.

Aiyoshi likes this.
  10. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Great metaphor with the concept of children. One thing I know about being a helper is that you can't help everyone; sometimes you need to help yourself first. You're probably ahead of me at this point, but it can be hard to say no because you want to please everyone. And in some cases you do burn out. Just remember that you can only do so much, and that the most important person that comes first is you.

Aiyoshi and SnowWhite like this.
  11. Audere est Facere

Audere est Facere Fapstronaut

i'm sorry but this is not a true friendship where the two of you keep fucking with each others' heads.

friends take care of each other, they don't hurt each other.

my best advice is that if after a 6-page letter he has 4 words to respond with, then he's enjoying frustrating you.

You need to move on from this namesake friendship, and go and make a true and genuine friend.

as for getting a girlfriend, that's a pretty basic goal to have. How about meeting the right person and moving forward with her, and not going for the first chick that is "willing" to be your girlfriend. that's a recipe for disaster.

for one you need positive people in your life, and he's not one. I'm saying it like i see it

Namekian23 likes this.
  12. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

The irony is, you can hurt by caring. Sounds like an contradiction, but it's true.

Namekian23 and Aiyoshi like this.
  13. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

Yes totally. You must learn to "help by not helping".
    Also, you need to learn to take and demand, and not always give for free.

If you always give, and never take, then you literally run out of gasoline, you burn out.

If you do not help, then you might think like "I am a crappy egoist, I have no right to put my wishes before others", but in fact you are not an egoist, you are simply self-responsible and autonomous. The overall idea of a healthy society is that all people become self-responsible as they grow up.
    Any relationship also works best when both partners are of that kind.

Namekian23 likes this.
  14. Blumpkin

Blumpkin Fapstronaut

Dude, I'm seriously

If I was busting my friends chops, and he wrote me a 6 page letter I'd probably reply back with K, then go no contact

No offense, but I couldn't be friends with a beta male who writes letters to express deep feelings

15. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Sometimes we just don't have words to respond. Specially people afraid of vulnerability.

Audere est Facere likes this.
  16. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

What's wrong with someone expressing his feelings?

Audere est Facere and SnowWhite like this.
  17. Blumpkin

Blumpkin Fapstronaut

Via a 6 page letter? Please.

18. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Well I guess we couldn't be friends then, because I would read, appreciate, cry and have no more words to reply than thank you.
    Guess cold people can't understand the benefits and beauty of expressing one's feelings.

Namekian23 and Audere est Facere like this.
  19. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

Please, this term "beta male" is so offending. Is a "male" only a hardcore dude walking around like a Terminator robot?

If there were no males around with feelings, we would have no music, no movies, no paintings, no books.

20. Blumpkin

Blumpkin Fapstronaut

So long as you can make money out of things you will