1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Online Relationships

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Jae, Jan 14, 2017.

What's your opinion on online relationships?

1. I'm all for them.

31.8%
  2. I'm completely against them.

50.0%
  3. I don't know/care.

18.2%
  1. Jae

Jae Fapstronaut

Yay or nay? Thoughts on them? Personal stories?

I'm not talking about online relationships with someone in your city that you snap every once in awhile.

I'm talking full-blown, long distance online relationships where it might be a struggle to meet up right away.

(If there's already another thread on this, feel free to direct me there and I'll delete this.)

2. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Star Lord, NoBrainer, SMK and 2 others like this.
  3. To quote your father, "you really disappoint me sometimes."

@Jae

I don't see a problem with those relationships, especially in this day and age. They can have their ups and downs like any relationship though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

5. AimPositive

AimPositive Fapstronaut

I have nothing against it. Its cute that people can dedicate themselves like that. But I can't do it I'm too clingy :p

6. Never were in one. But for me I don't know whether I could pull it off. I guess it depends from my needs at a time. Right now I'm on Hard Mode and planning to stay on it for a year, maybe more. So at this stage I do not have a big need for sexual relationship or even hugs. Communication can be done face to face via Skype. All tho I might end up being in a place where I will feel the need for closer intimacy eventually. And then I might feel need for somebody to be near me, so monogamous long distance relationship would probably not work. I'm not for it or against it. It totally depends from person to person. If it works for them, good for them.

7. Jae

Jae Fapstronaut

Meaning you need the physical aspect of a relationship or that you need constant verbal contact with someone?

AimPositive likes this.
  8. Human beings by nature are wired for relationships with a physical aspect.

I mean this is the digital age though.

Do whatever floats your boat sistah.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Jae likes this.
  9. Btw I voted completely against them. I'm against them for myself by voting that way. If a best friend wanted to do this I'd tell her/him why I don't do it and then I'd tell her/him to go for it if it's what she/he really wanted to do, after I made her/him watch dozens of videos on YouTube on this subject.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  10. I personally don't view them as a bad thing provided they're kept at a platonic level while communicating over chat/IM/video, and provided there is a genuine intention to meet each other irl.

With the times we live in it's unrealistic to think some couples won't meet and start out in this way.

11. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

I used to do online dating, long time ago. But to me, it doesn't feel the same as personal dating. I'm not really against it, I just don't really care for it anymore. Just saying.

Jae likes this.
  12. Long distance.... no it's not a good idea as your needs will not be met in reality.

You are 17. Go meet someone near were you live instead of a long distance electronic relationship.

Star Lord likes this.
  13. Jae

Jae Fapstronaut

S'not for me, but thanks mate.

14. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Online relationships are the half bothered approach to relationships. A false sense of belonging and attachment.
    On top of that both people can slightly tweak elements of their lives to seem more interesting to the recipient, and so it's not 100% fake but fake none the less.
    Online relationships encourage social anxiety indirectly because you don't physically meet the person, you only text or Skype or some crap.
    You can never truly know someone via online communication.
    I'm against online relationships.

15. AimPositive

AimPositive Fapstronaut

Physical aspect and communication

TooManlyForSalad likes this.
  16. Kennen

Kennen Fapstronaut

There was a time, that I fell for someone online.. Maybe because of his openness.. But, I've never been in a relationship online, I never tried online dating as well...

Jae likes this.
  17. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Fapstronaut

I would tend to agree with this post. I think there is a place for them initially and perhaps if the intent is to keep things friendly and platonic. However, if the two people have the intent of things being more than just friends then I think things that start out online would need to move to face-to-face for the exact reasons that are listed above. It's too easy to present a polished "false self" to the other person that just isn't reality. Just like those that build online dating profiles. Folks tend to fudge things a bit to make them seem more desirable. The same is true with online communications and relationships. I think they can be fine to start and get to know someone but it has to move from that pretty quickly if there seems to be an interest. In addition, like was said above, we're wired for connection and intimacy and without having that physical contact, face -to-face connection, etc. things would always be limited to some degree. Or perhaps worse, things would not be truly genuine given the tendency to only present our best selves. That being said, there are certainly aspects of that going on when people meet in person in the beginning too. I guess it might come down to each person whether they are comfortable with it and feel like both are being honest and transparent enough to really get to know their real selves.

Jae and Star Lord like this.
  18. Alex Xander

Alex Xander Fapstronaut

Long distance relationships are not good. They have a reputation for having bad endings. If there's no possibility of it becoming a close distance relationship within a few months then I wouldn't bother.

I was in a long distance relationship for a year, but the second my significant other met someone in their hometown they dropped me like a bad habit.

Quiver likes this.