1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I tell a friend she has a problem? (I'm a male)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Marsbar, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Marsbar

Marsbar Fapstronaut

I joined this site about 2 months ago and my story can be found scattered all over.

Around the end of last year my wife's best friend came around for dinner with my wife and I. We were talking about the stresses in our respective businesses and my wife's friend openly admitted that she masturbated about 6 or 7 times a day to help her cope with the stress. I concurred that it could help and noncommittally admitted that I M every now and again too, and we quickly moved on. My wife was pretty unfazed by it all (obviously having grown up with the girl, she knows her better than I do - and she also knows that I M "every now and again"). Suffice it to say that my MO blew totally out of control after that as she is very attractive, and it was probably the trigger for me to seek help as now my obsession was too close to home.

My question is this: Now that I know what I know, and having had a 40 day streak that changed my life completely (not without it's hiccups though), I recognise that this girl has a major problem with at least MO if not P. She is also prone to drug use and as a single mom dumped by her husband is obsessed with "finding a man", and that isn't going well. She is in pretty bad shape actually. I don't think it's appropriate for me to talk to her and, for my own personal reasons (I am away from home for extended periods and don't want to leave a bombshell on my rare visits that I am not there to help contain), I have not told my wife about my addiction, so I can't ask her to speak to her friend. Or can I?

Any suggestions?

SMK likes this.
  2. Ikindaknew

Ikindaknew Fapstronaut

no, you are at risk...and you might even be a little aroused by the thought that she MOs often....

Marsbar likes this.
  3. ILoathePwife

ILoathePwife Fapstronaut

If you can't tell your wife, you certainly should not talk to your wife's friend about this.

4. I think @Mariner said it all. Not appropriate, probably wouldn't be helpful, and I don't think it's your place to talk to her. Sounds like it could lead to a slippery slope and, if she did admit she has a problem and leaned on you for support while your wife doesn't even know about your addiction, that would be a very inappropriate level of intimacy for you two to have, in my opinion.

As Mariner said, she's an adult. I'm sure she will figure things out on her own. It seems your heart is pure in the situation, but sometimes we just aren't the one who's meant to help a certain person. Leave it to someone more appropriate in her life.

Marsbar likes this.
  5. I think it's up to her to decide for herself if she has a problem or not. If you assume that and then confront her about it, it may come across as incredibly presumptive at best and may even jeopardize her relationship with your wife, at worst.

Marsbar and StepsReborn like this.
  6. Marsbar

Marsbar Fapstronaut

You are of course all right.. A) It's not my place to say anything, and B) I know it would be extremely risky for me. It's just that I know what I went through for years and years and how stopping PMO changed my life. She thinks it's normal, and so did I. If it wasn't for a good friend who helped me see the light, I'd probably still be at it and wondering why I was so depressed. But c'est la vie.

Thanks for your comments.

StepsReborn likes this.
  7. Fork2323

Fork2323 Fapstronaut

Id talk to your wife about her friend's behavior and how its a drag to be around someone who is such a mess with alcahole, sex, and so desperate.. and sugest she tells her to get help or see a theropist..