1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any good novel suggestions without any adult content in it?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by InvisibleControl, Jun 5, 2016.

1. InvisibleControl

InvisibleControl Fapstronaut

I was looking forward to read a good novel these holidays but a lot of novels these days are void of adult/vulgar content.

So does anyone have any suggestions of a clean novel that just focuses on the story instead of unwanted obscenity?

2. Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    InvisibleControl likes this.
  3. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

The Martian was an excellent read, with next to no adult content. The novel blows the movie out of the water. I've read it twice and plan on rereading it a third time. What an epic story.

4. Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott

5. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

Also, if you're into it, Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein. The movies were well done but don't hold a candle to the novels. Plus it's a good chunk of reading, will keep you busy and your mind occupied for a solid chunk of time

6. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

What genre are you interested in? There are lots of books without traces of "vulgar" content in them.

7. Lol tons of books, just skip the steamy romantic novels.

8. jfromcr

jfromcr Fapstronaut

Best books that I have read recently without vulgar content:
    Scary Close - Don Miller
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
    The House At Pooh Corner - A. A. Milne
    Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
    White Fang - Jack London
    Civil Disobedience - Henry David Thoreau
    Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë
    Mindset: The new psychology of success - Carol S Dweck
    The Road to Character - David Brooks
    Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead - Brene Brown
    Tarzan of the Apes - Edgar Rice Burroughs
    Moneyball - Michael Lewis
    The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) - Rick Riordan
    The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
    Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

9. InvisibleControl

Suspense,thriller is what I am looking for.The last I read 4 years ago was digital fortress which set the bar up high for me.

10. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

Digital Fortress was good, I read it too. Have you read any other Dan Brown? Deception Point was an excellent read, better than Digital Fortress IMO

11. InvisibleControl

Yes I read deception point before digital fortress,the plot was just kickass.Can you suggest anything else without any vulgar content in it?

Something suspense?

12. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

Well, I'm not sure if it falls in the 'suspense' genre, but like I posted above The Martian by Andy Weir had a kickass plot/story to it. I couldn't put it down, it had me on the edge of my seat and I reread it (I almost never reread books). Hell I plan on rereading it a third time. I really liked not only the story but the way it was written. I can't think of any books similar to the Dan Brown ones atm, but if I do I'll be sure to post them up : )

13. ItsTime4AChange

ItsTime4AChange New Fapstronaut

My first post on this site, but the topic of this thread I find very pertinent as reading is one of the things I have been doing a lot over the last months as I try to rewire my habits and my thinking.

My first general suggestion is another web site - Tolstoy Therapy - a site that suggests books new and old to read which can help deal with different states of mood/mind.

I have a few specific personal suggestions based on the themes of the Dan Brown books you mentioned.

First, a couple of books by John Brunner - The Shockwave Rider and Stand on Zanzibar.

Then, although this may seem like an odd suggestion - The Cowboy and the Cossack by Clair Huffaker. An outstanding little known novel that on the surface is a "Western" but is a great story about personal challenges, working together with strangers to achieve a common goal, and what drives people to do what they do. I consider this book as suspenseful and thrilling as any New York Times bestseller spy story I have read. And, I think it is an appropriate book in general for participants of this particular forum.

14. Baroque

Baroque Fapstronaut

15. InvisibleControl

I will look into your suggestions,appreciate it man \,,/

16. infinitely_for_the_good

infinitely_for_the_good Fapstronaut

Old school hacker suspense (especially if you like Digital Fortress): The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll.

17. BlackKnight

BlackKnight Fapstronaut

The Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin

18. InvisibleControl

Please stop right there.

19. Micah Marshall

Micah Marshall Fapstronaut

These may be labeled as "children's books", but I would recommend you try The Chronicles of Narnia. They are beautifully written novels by C.S Lewis and are more than meets the eye. If you are a man of faith they will appeal to you, but if you are looking for a great story it will provide that too! Hope this helps!