1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Smile Meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ivelostcount, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Ivelostcount

Ivelostcount Fapstronaut

Have any of you meditators out there ever tried this? Smiling while meditating.

The idea popped into my head yesterday afternoon before I did my daily 20 minutes of mindfulness. Well to my delight, wow did it ever put me in a good mood. I googled it and apparently it's a thing, and I'm not the only one whose experienced it's good.

I know a lot of people here suffer from depression, sadness, loneliness, etc. So maybe it can help somebody else out!

Feedback welcome.

sih and SONofVEnus like this.
  2. SONofVEnus

SONofVEnus Fapstronaut

Hey,
    I tried inner smile a lot. Like smiling to organs etc.... It helps sometimes...

And I tried laughing yoga for some time. It is good. Laughing for no reason. Saying like Alooohhhaaaaa and then laugh Hahahahaha. They say: "Fake it as long you don't make it, hahaha."
    Actually, this yoga invented a true doctor in India..... They proved it is good for health..... Specially when you laugh with all your body...... Then breathing becomes really deep.

After awhile it gets you under your skin. You will forget about everything, but in normal occasions when you laugh, you will laugh more or more honestly or more powerfully etc..............

I like this guy on Youtube, named Robert Rivest. Has a nice, short breathing or laughing yoga exercises. When me and my ex girlfriend did it once or twice we really laughed at each other, because it was so funny seeing her laughing....
    Take care, man, wish you all the best

sih and Ivelostcount like this.
  3. Christin John

Christin John Fapstronaut

Yep as you have said above smiling really gets us in good mood. Its been scientifically proven that simple smiling triggers the muscle in our face and release hormones which makes up feel good.

4. This reminds me of a little something I do. There's this one particular video on YouTube that cracks me up no matter how many times I've watched it since I found it nearly 8 years ago. So once every few days when I need a little mood booster I head to the video. Laughter infects you pretty quick and by the time you've had a few giggles you're already in a much better mood.

The same goes for smiling, you don't even have to feel happy, but smile for a little, and you'll start to feel happier. I find it's even quicker if you find something mildly amusing to chuckle about and smile from the laughter. For example, even if you're feeling really down, even if you just say "Wow I'm quite the moody one" and have a brief laugh at your own bad mood, the smile will stick easier and turn into genuine happiness pretty quickly. It's neat.

Oh and for anyone wondering, here's the video in question - don't worry if you can't understand all the video game chatter, the important thing is a guy went into a voice chat server, and recorded random segments of what people said, then played it back, and they had no clue how it was happening so hilarity ensued: