1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do to cheer yourself up?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by tacomanarrows, Feb 26, 2016.

1. I'm not talking about how to overcome depression, more just how to cheer yourself up or snap out of a low mood.

Some days I just find I feel down for no real reason at all and I can struggle to snap out of it. I have heard talk about techniques to 'change state' but not really delved into any of them.

So I figured others on here must have some tips and tricks for getting happy in a hurry. List them here!

onebookperweek likes this.
  2. SONofVEnus

SONofVEnus Fapstronaut

i think cheering up is different from person to person. have its roots in character i think.

few things that cheers me up:
    -comedy movie with adam sandler, ben stiller or steve carell.
    -walking in nature.
    -leaving bad mood alone cheers me up after some time....
    -warm bath.
    -swimming in a sea.
    -sitting on a sun.
    -reading something positive (autobiographies with positive vibes...) or chicken soups for the soul...

i found out that being without PMO can have huge side affect on moods. You know, body is recovering etc... We were used to something which harmed us, and now we are without that, it makes you feel confused and down sometimes because you don't have that thing anymore etc..... it is also on physical level.... and emotional even more. and feeling bad sometimes maybe just mean that we feel empty and free, we just need to adopt to this new feeling.... i try not to push it away, although i don't let it to take control of my life...

good luck to you, man

3. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

Cleaning/decluttering my environment, doing outdoor sports/activities, spending quality time with family and friends, learning new skills, listening to or playing music.

I'm pretty easy to satisfy as you can see. But the basics work. The worse that can happen is staying in a closed space for too long, being alone for too long, or having people around for too long.

Immor, SONofVEnus and tacomanarrows like this.
  4. onebookperweek

onebookperweek Fapstronaut

Lately, I have come to realize that emotions, like every other aspect of our lives, act according to Newton's third law.

This means, that for every experience of joy, a (potentially?) equal experience of displeasure will occur.

... ...

Following this reasoning, I have come to realize that perhaps the best way to experience pleasure is through contentment; and the best way to experience displeasure is through patience.

5. Wow! That is true wisdom.

As to the original question in this thread, which is a great one by the way, for me:
    1) playing my guitar- music really soothes me
    2) working out- gets the endorphins going
    3) deep breathing & meditation
    4) hanging out with my daughter when she visits every other weekend (too infrequently :( )
    5) walks in nature - that's very high on the list, but it snows 6 months here :(
    6) listening to music
    7) reading good posts on NoFap
    8) Journaling, blogging, posting here
    9) talking to some friends whom I'm close to
    10) hearing from someone I love

I know staying cheerful is the hardest part of this exercise. Even a slightly depressed feeling makes the journey seem harder than it really is. In fact, life without PMO is just pretty darn good! I think I've artificially created a bogus sense of pleasure out of M & O when in fact it leaves one feeling more drained and depressed. It was the wrong solution to the problem of occasional slight depression since it actually worsens it in the long run, although it feels good in the interim. I am now convinced that conserving semen and sexual energy is the way to live a life full of vitality. Once I can get out of my mind the notion that sex is the most important part of a relationship with a woman (athough I never came across that way with any of the women I've been with, it was there deep down and repressed, which caused a lot of inner conflict in me so I had to acknowledge it and then overcome it), I'm actually able to see all the other fun things that one can do with that person. That actually makes a guy a more interesting relationship prospect, and also less needy (hence stronger). Also these techniques of Taoist love that the Mantak Chia book has show how one can O without losing one's semen. That sounds like the way to go. Enjoy the pleasure of sex slowly with a real partner and don't waste one's semen. In time this makes one more cheerful I believe (only 39 days in so can't swear to this from personal experience) but getting there takes some determination because the interim periods are occasionally more depressing than before.

6. Great answers, thanks!

Reading through the replies it seems the one common answer is everyone does an activity of some sort. The DOING is the key thing. Maybe the activity itself is less important than simply doing something other than sitting around feeling sorry for myself. I notice none of you said 'when I feel low I find aimless browsing of the internet really helps' ;)

The activities mentioned are all wholesome things as well, such as exercise, family time, music, reading.