1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

When is the best time to lift weights

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Moogie, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Moogie

Moogie Fapstronaut

I work at night so can workout before work and be tried at work. Or work out right before bed when I get home at 10:30 and have trouble sleeping from working out.

I grind dies at work and they are heavy. I have to pickup anything below 35 pounds.

Donquixote Doflamingo likes this.
  2. Donquixote Doflamingo

Donquixote Doflamingo Fapstronaut

Try out different times bud. From what I learned, if you want to sleep good always work out early (morning is great). You seem to already know that working out at night is pretty bad

3. Moogie

Moogie Fapstronaut

I'm going to try to workout early in the morning and see if that helps. I wish I was on day shift.

Donquixote Doflamingo likes this.
  4. Ikindaknew

Ikindaknew Fapstronaut

I always work-out early in the morning here. Don't want to be hyper and have a hard time sleeping. Also, don't concentrate only on weights, a little cardio is good too.

5. Moogie

Moogie Fapstronaut

I am using a cheap pair of dumbbells I bought on amazon. They seem to do a better job than my bowflex. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos to make sure I do the exercises correctly.

I can do a lot of Stuff with dumbbells. I might get powerblock dumbbells later

6. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

For someone who is on a normal daytime sleep schedule, studies have shown that working out in the afternoon is the best time, regarding muscle response and growth. It's good because you're warmed up for the day, but you aren't too tired yet. I'm not sure about night-time schedule though. I guess it's the same concept - the best time is maybe 6 hours after you woke up.

I always lifted before going to work, early in the mornings, because then I had it out of the way for the rest of the day and the gym was much emptier so it was faster. If I lifted in the evenings after work, then it would always be crowded, and sometimes my friends wanted to meet up so I had to make a sacrifice then.

7. If you find that late workouts make feel too wired to sleep I can really recommend you take a supplement called Taurine straight after the workout. It really calms me down, seems to take away the adrenaline pump quickly.

8. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Hey man, it really depends on the person and their work schedule. From my own experience, I don't work out in the morning because weight lifting can be very strenuous and tiring, especially if you didn't have a good breakfast. Not only that, you have to wait an hour or two before working out. One time I didn't eat enough food and I almost passed out at the gym. However, running in the morning is fine. Make sure you eat a small snack before you do it.

Personally, I like to work out in the afternoon knowing that I had some food in me hours before. I love weight lifting over other workouts because it makes me more tired and I get better sleep that way. Working out late at late especially one or two hours before bed is terrible for me. My body is fully awake and it's even worse if I do cardio. My heart rate is up the roof, so it's hard for the cardiovascular system to reach a normal state.

Other than that, different times work for different people. You may have to play around your work schedule a little bit more. Like BackToManhood said, when you're sleeping, your body is fully recovering and rebuilding itself. So for me, it would make sense to let my body rest for many hours before going to bed. That's why I prefer working out in the afternoon time.

9. snowowl99

snowowl99 Fapstronaut

I had a night shift job and the best for me was to exercise before work, along with a cold shower, and coffee and I felt amazingly great for the first half of my boring job. Just the exercise alone would do awesome things with feeling really good at work.