1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about first dates

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by NoBrainer, Jan 12, 2016.

1. I got a question too lol if a girl invites a guy out to eat or for drinks (like for a date) then technically the girl should pay right? I've had this debate with friends and they think that no matter what the guy should always pay. I kinda agree but what if the guy is broke and wants to go out?? Lol I won't mind letting a girl pay for my dinner if she invited me. In fact that might be a lil sexist to assume that the guy should only pay for dates. Double standards??
    Ps. @NoBrainer can u please approve my avatar lol

2. I'd play it by ear on that one. If she wants to pay, let her pay, and if you can't decide what's best, maybe split the tab? Idk, this one I think totally depends on the girl and whether she is more traditional or more modern.

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  3. IGY

IGY Guest

Yes, the girl should pay. She made the invitation, so it is clear. I don't think the guy's financial status comes into it. If I invited someone out for a meal, I would expect to pay for it. If she thinks the sexes should be equal, she will do so, too.

4. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

I think you should always pay for yourself. Whether the girl wants to pay for herself is up to her, but I'd say be prepared to pick up on social cues. Like if she's holding back a little, then just jump in there and pay! ;)

5. Agreed, I know some guys who pull the "I forgot my wallet" tricks on first dates lol

6. IGY

IGY Guest

I disagree. If someone treats you to a meal, you should accept it gracefully, with thanks (imo).

7. DireMerl

DireMerl Fapstronaut

Split the bill. I would split it Even if a guy invited me out. I'm going out to get to know them, not for a free meal.

8. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

Yeah bill splitting always sounds good.

9. TheWife

TheWife Distinguished Fapstronaut

I've always gone dutch on dates (many years ago so times may have changed) as it gives me some control on the situation and sets you both off on equal footing in the relationship. Except for one time where I went out with a guy who spent the whole time bragging about his sports car and beach house, he ended up paying for my dinner and many cocktails.

10. IGY

IGY Guest

What does that mean? :confused:

11. Paying separately

12. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

This is such a wonderful thread. It is like how to not objectify a women in practice. No Brainer is a legend. There is such care and thought towards the women in this thread. I love it.

Saskia likes this.
  13. Jano

Jano Fapstronaut

Lol, it's just reminded me how few years ago I arranged a second date only to tell a girl we won't meet up again. I was very bad at it back then so didn't even manage to put it in nice words. The result was super weird, far from what I'd expected - she was just sitting in silence, so I told her I will get going, she'd just nodded and after I was gone she texted me something like 'why the f*** did you ask me out again if you didn't want nothing more?!'. I've decided not to play it this way never again so from then on most often I just ignore it. Although, after I read what the guys wrote in the thread I think I will consider calling or at least texting next time. I have to admit it seems more gentlemanly, though ignoring the whole thing is definitely easier and probably an element of dating convention nowadays (and my story proves that).

PS English's not my first language so if something's not clear let me know and I will try to put it another way