1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Path of Buddha

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Path of Buddha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Know the enemies within you.
    1. Ta hā - Cravings
    2. Arati - Aversion, Discontentment
    3. Rāga - Attachment, Desire, Greed, Passion
    4. Pride
    5. Fear
    Tame them all.

2. Another enemy that resides within you and stops you from identifying your true self is impatience. But impatience is caused ultimately by cravings, yet it's good to know that impatience is also a factor that stops you from being your true self.

3. shanggle

shanggle Fapstronaut

hey,dude!i'm a buddhist from China and i believe in buddhism in a chinese style.
    i remember there is a saying which goes like,the real happiness,the real contentment and the real wisdom come from within.so actually we don't need to fap to satisfy ourselves.
    thru the way of abstinence we can reach the status of being enlightened,and then the light of wisdom will shine on us.
    looking forward to share ideas with you on Buddhism and hope we one day can all find the peace of mind.

4. g2stop

g2stop Fapstronaut

Desire is the pathway to suffering. Enlightenment is absence of any desire when we truly realise we are infinite.

5. shanggle

shanggle Fapstronaut

so judging by your avatar,are you a Christian?

Path of Buddha likes this.
  6. You are right my friend!

7. Yes you are partially right. The only difference between our thought is that by way of abstinence we can never reach enlightenment. Knowing that we don't need to fap is enlightenment itself. Now, we must follow that path. :)

8. The question is not for me but I hope you don't mind if I answer. Yes, he does look Christian if we judge him by his avatar. But Buddhism for me is not only a religion. It is a way of life. It is a path that we follow laid down by Siddharta Gautama - Buddha. In fact, a part of his teachings is to identify ourselves as a part of this universe. We can follow any religion and still be on the path of Buddha. Peace for all. Have a beautiful day my friends. :)

9. Spidey2Dope

Spidey2Dope Fapstronaut

That's kind of depressing. Do mean to be absence of all desires and not desire anything?

Path of Buddha likes this.
  10. Wow! That's a very beautiful question. I just came online to express my views on desire. And here I see a question already.
    No! Buddha doesn't rule out desire. The desire must always be there. How can you attain enlightenment without desiring it? But the desire must be controlled. Dalai lama says, without desire how can you lead your life! But the desire that leads you to suffering and dissatisfaction is harmful. We must abstain from it.

11. shanggle

shanggle Fapstronaut

Thank you my friend!I've learned a lot from your answer.
    actually i meant 3 stages on the path of buddha.one is abstinence,and another is to stick to the real self hid in your mind,and the last one is enlightenment.all of them are respectively described as 戒,定,慧in Chinese mahayana.due to my poor translation and superficial grasp,maybe I didn't put it clearly.
    in my opinion,Buddhism is far more than a religion.it's education and demonstration from Buddha and Buddha can creat nothing in the world,neither can he use his magic or power to change our fate.All he could do is to guide us lay down the obsession and to instruct us to let go of the attachment which confines our soul,and to make us move in a pattern of samma savkappa rather than in a upside-down way we uesd to be in.
    that is,own destiny is still created by oneself,yet following the path of Buddha can perfect this process.
    everyone in the world owns the same kinda nature as Buddha did.But the distance betwwen us and Buddha is the brainfog of our confounded mindset,sometimes it seems so near yet it can be quite far,just like what i heard in a Christian manner--every child is a baby angel,but some of them are lost on their way back home when they grow up.
    no matter what kind of religion we believe in,the only difference between is just the terms.considering it deeply,all for one and one for all.
    so hope one day we can all jump out of the trap of pmo,and then find the truth of our own life.
    piece my friend!

12. g2stop

g2stop Fapstronaut

@Spidey2Dope desire means you feel you dont have something therefore you want it, enlightenment is when you realise you have everything, so desire is no longer relevant

@shanggle I dont think it is necessary to label myself with one religion, but for nofap this image seemed to be helpful for me

13. Very beautiful message. Thank you.

14. CountryDude

CountryDude Fapstronaut

"In craving pleasure or in nursing pain, there is only sorrow"

15. shanggle

shanggle Fapstronaut

yeah this image is deep!sometimes the struggling during our reboot seems just like the wrist wrestling betwwen God and Satan.

16. I have a question for my brothers who agree with Buddhist philosophy. Do you get the desire to spread the message of Buddha? Isn't this truth that we know about life radiant? It's like a flowers fragrance that wants to spread. But the humans cannot accept it. The humans seem afraid of the truth. Has anyone else come across such situation?

terminalparadox likes this.
  17. One mantra of Buddha - Don't suppress your feelings. Let them pass through you. Feel them. Don't react.

18. Attachment is the root cause of all sufferings and dissatisfaction.

GreatScott! likes this.
  19. If you asked Buddha about spreading Buddhism, he would have said "spread what, there is nothing the spread"

Wait for people to come to it, dont bring it to them. Like knocking on a closed door when you can get in if you wait for them to open it.

20. I remember one of Buddha's quote and consider it very important: "workout your own salvation. Do not depend on others" I think, if one gets thoughts about spreading awareness, he probably hasn't become aware yet. Can this be the case?