1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I deactivated Facebook. And why you should consider it to

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by YiboW, May 3, 2015.

1. ASmith90

ASmith90 Fapstronaut

I didn't read the whole thread, but have you guys considered keeping your facebook profile and just turning your feed offline?
    Same effect: you don't care what others are doing and have still the option to communicate with everyone

This might help

Sursum Corda and YiboW like this.
  2. Monster Carrot

Monster Carrot Fapstronaut

I never had a Facebook and my wife has long since stopped posting on hers. However sometimes she skims through to see what people are posting. It's always the same kinds of things: pictures of a cup of Starbucks and a book, pictures of a child, eight girls standing with one another at a wedding wearing the same dress and the same smile. Whenever I spend time around my cousin and his (very young) wife, it always stands out to me about how much of her attention is focused on what to post next, who to tag, etc. It makes me feel kind of sad for her.

My wife on the other hand makes me so proud. We always joke about posting when something nice or awesome happens to us, but of course she never does. She actually enjoyed not posting a single picture or comment from our recent trip to DC. None of her friends even know we went. They all probably think her life is incredibly boring since she hasn't posted anything in months. I think eventually she will be decide on deleting it altogether, which would be awesome.

Seeker19, YiboW and Strugglesaurus like this.
  3. BlackZtype

BlackZtype Fapstronaut

I see a lot of truly independent thinkers in this thread, what a inspirational place!

YiboW likes this.
  4. transmute

transmute Fapstronaut

Cool song, now may I share a song completely unrelated to the topic at hand, or is it completely related?

Completely related....

Strive, strive, surmount the obstacles
    Become the essence of your goals
    Hereditary dream
    Pray that you may attain that destiny
    Fall into the coveted line
    Where life is but a theme
    Of pretense in lustrous guise

Claims and values
    Charts of means and status
    Plaques to show your strife
    Do your neighbour clones approve

Picture perfect illustration
    Imitation of life
    Where the path is evened out
    All obstructions removed

Great viable citizen
    Are you happy now?
    Then praise your God and bow

Shimmering surface
    The gleam of blinding lies
    Become the product
    The thing you so desire

To what length would you go to reach your goals?
    What mantra will you use to justify your means?
    Who will you betray to secure your dream?
    What sins will you commit to avoid your sins be seen?

Do not look down
    Do not look down
    Or the abysmal beast of non-conformity
    Might stare some unpleasant truth
    Into your desensitized mind

Shimmering surface
    The gleam of blinding lies
    Become the product
    The thing you so desire

And I do not have a facebook account because I am not content with my life currently and did not feel like I measured up career and socially-wise to other people, sad what facebook encourages, but also I do see the value in social media when used with mindfulness.

I may open a social media account in the future. But not for a year or more at least, once my life is at a point where I want to share it with the world.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  5. ItalianGuy4God

ItalianGuy4God Fapstronaut

I agree Monster as so many on FB its more about being popular or wanting to look good to others or starting debates on things to get attention. People befriend each other that dont even know each other and never get to know each other-its like a contest to see who has the most friends. I find it time wasting to be screwing around on there just to be socially popular. I only have mine to post end time events of prophecies coming true in the Bible that are in the news each week but I dont have any personal stuff on there and dont let others post it on mine as well. Mine is just part of my ministry otherwise I would have deleted it a long time ago..

YiboW likes this.
  6. YiboW

YiboW Fapstronaut

Hey BlackZtype

By the way, I forgot to tell you and everyone else this, but I didn't come up with this idea to deactivate Facebook by myself.

It was basically plagiarized from this Quora post: https://www.quora.com/What-should-I...my-Facebook-friends-having-everything-in-life

So if you want a place of real indepedent thinkers, definintely read through some of the posts people write on Quora.

e.g. http://www.quora.com/How-do-you-find-yourself-in-your-20s

http://www.quora.com/How-can-I-as-a-teen-improve-my-life-the-most-in-a-single-day

ItalianGuy4God likes this.
  7. ItalianGuy4God

ItalianGuy4God Fapstronaut

Excellent post @YiboW as what the article said was so true how everyone puts their best foot (or mask) forward on FB so they look happy and successful all the time to everyone else and that never helps anyone but themselves. I have noticed FB is about people being even more self centered then they already are. I like to advance Gods kingdom on this earth so I can have my rewards in heaven but everyone needs to look at their own lives to see what kinds of things are they promoting on fb to others that will advance others lives rather then just their own..

YiboW likes this.
  8. YiboW

YiboW Fapstronaut

Yeah, I totally agree ItalianGuy4God! I definitely noticed that the Facebook friends list has become a contest. Just a way for people to show off how popular they want other people to think they are.

It's like saying: "Hey everybody, look at me! I have 1000+ Facebook friends!"

But if you take a step back and ask "Why? Why do people accumulate so many friends on Facebook even though they don't talk to a single person?"

I would say it's because of people do this to hide how insecure they are and much fear they have over other people judging them for not having enough friends. But then again I used to do this too, so I can't blame anyone.

It's fascinating what much social media shows about human nature. Our ego. Our insecurity. Wanting to always show the best parts of us.

In fact, because of the anonymity of the Internet, people are free to express their real opinions without criticism.
    e.g. There are quite some interesting/judgmental things people will write under YouTube comments that I doubt they have the courage to say to someone face to face.

On a side note, many biblical prophecies are coming true. The word of God is being spread throughout the world thanks to modern technology, such as the Internet.

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." Matthew 24:14

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    coolman0101 likes this.
  9. Seeker19

Seeker19 Fapstronaut

HELL YES!! FINALLY!
    I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER FIND FELLOW METALHEADS HERE!

\m/
    Freaking Meshuggah and Dream Theater man! Legends of Technical/Progressive.

10. BlackZtype

BlackZtype Fapstronaut

thank you for this! this site is so awesome!

YiboW likes this.
  11. I think it’s unhealthy to obsess over other peoples’ lives. There’s a kid in my graduating high school class that got into Harvard. He was a real prick and it drove me nuts. I would use Facebook to periodically check up on how he was doing in life. And I don’t mean message him. I mean scroll through his feed anonymously. I did this for probably 3 years and all it really did was depress me. This kid and I worked just as hard in life and somehow he gets laid and has friends. It made me crazy and angry.

You want to compare yourself with people (particularly, successful people). But at some point you have to accept that you're trying your best and sometimes that isn't good enough. When I was younger, I used to get furious with myself for not being smart enough in class or fast enough playing sports. Now at 24, with a little more knowledge about myself I look at the positives in life and embellish upon those things.

This video really helped me become a better learner and a more humble human being:

And of course there are the women. I’ve crept through more profile pics of hot college chicks than I care to mention.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    YiboW likes this.
  12. YiboW

YiboW Fapstronaut

@Progressive Death Mettle

Dude, I definitely know that feeling! I'm a high school senior so throughout this year on Facebook, everyone was posting about the great colleges they got accepted into: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Vanderbilt, WashU ... ugghh, eventually you just got so tired of it.

Seriously, people need to get over themselves on Facebook and post a status that will actually help other people.

I've only been alive for 17 years, but the biggest life lesson I've learned is that:

PEOPLE ARE SELFISH. NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT YOU. PEOPLE ONLY CARE IF YOU CAN HELP THEM.

Also, I completely agree about how unhealthy it is to compare yourself to successful people. It all depends on who you compare yourself to. The world isn't fair.

We could compare ourselves to Kim Kardashian or to the homeless starving kid in Africa. But in the end, life is the pursuit of happiness. In order to be happy, we have to chose to be content with what we have - so much easier said than done since it's human instinct and ego to always be comparing ourselves to other people.

I know a lot of the times, I forget that there are African children worrying about their next meal while my biggest worry is when I can go online and fap to hot babes.

And even more ironic is that a lot of the people we think are happy - like the guy you talked about who got into Harvard - are probably faking it.

The grass is greener on the other side... because it has been fertilized with bullshit. *artificial bullshit*

For example, there was this Quora post asking: "Why are so many brilliant and talented people so brutally unhappy and dissatisfied?"

On the post, this girl is talking about how her "boyfriend won state and county math contests, and went to Stanford for an engineering degree. He has a fantastic diplomat and a high-empathy soul, with tons of awesome friends and a great career and hobbies he loves.

And yet he gets all shy and bummed out about how his life turned out sometimes. He'll talk about how he "could have done more" and stuff. He talks wistfully about people he knows who did "real" things, jet-setting to tons of different countries or becoming upper management at Fortune 500 companies."

http://www.quora.com/Why-are-so-man...d-people-so-brutally-unhappy-and-dissatisfied

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  13. rich

rich Fapstronaut

YiboW, I've never been a huge fan of facebook. I get tired of the pointless posts about what people had for breakfast or telling me where they are, or the stupid videos that my exes Son would push in my face showing a dog chasing it's tail or something equally banal. But mostly, and most pertinently I hate the mechanism of voyeurism it creates where curiosity about someone else's life drives me in particular to want to know what they are doing/saying. Again, this is in relation to my ex, and while breaking up, she posted fairly regularly to tell the world how '#lifeisgood' or how she could now 'live wild and roam free' given that a 'settled life' had failed, or another post was about how she now had 'people around her who had her back'. All of which, to my mind was designed for me to read an feel pain about, regardless of my depression or other issues.

Clearly she was in pain. Clearly I was the cause of most of that pain and once we had a misunderstanding on FB chat, as I guess is often the case unless you're looking into someone's eyes, and she told me she was seeing someone else, she blocked me...Though we still share a number of common friends, as such it still feels like my only route of communication to her...

But I have stopped using it, I don't want to see anything about her on their feeds either....Having said that, I'm considering placing a status about my impending rehab....

14. TTTM

TTTM Fapstronaut

I deactivated Facebook and am so glad I did. I think most people post there to induce envy in others... even if it's subconscious. I was tired of seeing all the glossed poses and smiles with a lack of reality and substance and I did not like my reaction to it.

15. CountryDude

CountryDude Fapstronaut

Gauld...I don't know which of those two are more irritating.

16. I use fb for sports just to read up on articles posted by sports center etc

17. Amit shah

Amit shah Fapstronaut

You are absolu
    You are absolutely right bro.....Facebook friends are all fake...you can't share any of the feelings with them....nifap is much much better than that....I deactivated my fb account few hours ago....and I really started feeling the difference..

18. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

The only way in which I use facebook is to communicate with people I have no other way of talking to in real life, I usually don't add people I see every day for example. Technology has always been a mix of good and bad, with wisdom you can maximize the good and minimize the bad, without it you might end up in a very dark place.

19. Dude, tell me about it man. I unfollowed all of my friends on Facebook and I only follow news articles. I only keep my account unlocked so I can talk to people on messenger every now and then.

Since then, not using Facebook has made me exponentially happier. I stopped comparing myself to others. I stopped looking at past ex girlfriends and I can finally move forward. I'm no longer depressed. And there are no stupid triggers in my newsfeed of some girl from my high school taking ratchet pics.

It's infinitely better man! :D

20. Anti-faper

Anti-faper Fapstronaut