1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold showers?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Mark, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Distinguished Fapstronaut

I'm intrigued by the cold shower thing. I used to do something years ago that was based on something they do in Japan apparently, and that was to have a really hot shower and then turn the heat off and let it run cold for a while. I cant remember why now, was a long time ago, but it made sense at the time- something to do with building tolerance levels etc. The thing is I hated it so I didnt do it for long. And I hate the idea of cold showers! (plus its freezing where I live at the moment)

Please will somebody explain the thinking behind it so I can weigh up the pros and cons.

2. Corcoran978

Corcoran978 Fapstronaut

Damn! You are the man! Five days and you'll be on 90 days! Shit, why worry about cold showers unless it's fucking hot outside!

3. Mark

:D I dont know it just intrigues me and I'll try anything if there are genuine benefits, im kind of hoping somebodys going to talk me out of it!;)

4. aron

aron Fapstronaut

I used to go to a chinese restaurant every year on my birthday and they had a small motto on their menus that I liked a lot and it said: "hearing about a dish 1000 times is less satisfying than trying it even once" (or something like that). I am a big fan of cold showers, and I can give you all the pro's, which I will do in one second, but the best way to know if its worth it is to try it. The way I got hooked to it, was that I tried for one week, and after that period I decided if I wanted to continue with it or not. As you can imagine, the first few times were hard, but I made a commitment for one week.

Cold showers can be done in many ways, and it all depends on personal taste/season/mood. One could do it all the way cold, from start to end, or start with hot water and end it with cold, or alternate hot/cold several times. The last one is called scottish shower. Personally, I prefer to do complete cold in the summer, in the winter start with hot and end with cold, and in autumn and spring, do scottish showers.

The pro's of cold showers are:
    - stimulates peripheral blood circulation -> its excellent if you suffer from poor peripheral circulation
    - increases immunity system -> I don't know how but I've suffered from less colds overall since I started doing them
    - stimulates the heart

Other effects
    - I don't suffer from exposure to cold temperatures. My tolerance for cold is higher than people who I know take really hot showers. I am sharing my house with other people and all of them have 2-3 layers of clothes while I am only in my t-shirt.
    - After leaving the shower I feel warm. There is no more pain of closing the hot water tap and dreading the cold air. After taking a cold one, the air in the bathroom will feel warm.
    - It's revigorating. Water is linked to the chi energy and you *will feel more energised and ready to face the day. Plus, it won't make you sleepy like a hot shower will.
    - Physically stresses the body. This is just my personal belief, that the sterile environment that we live in today makes our body weak, so with a little stress we can keep it healthy.
    - It's the best way to kill any sexual urges. After taking a cold one, you will completely forget why you even had to take one.

5. Mark

Wow aron! Cheers for that! You've more than answered my question and I'm sold mate (which I both love AND hate you for right now!:D) Thanks again :)

6. asian-adventurer

asian-adventurer Fapstronaut

In my opinion, personal experience, and a little research, here are some other possible benefits of cold showers:
    1. Minimize the entry of chlorine and other toxic chemicals in the water, as well as toxic chemicals in the soaps/shampoos into your bloodstream. (Unless filtered well, municipal water usually contain chlorine and sometimes flouride and other toxic chemicals. When the water is hot, these chemicals are absorbed by the body in unhealthy quantities through the opened pores of the skin. Cold water closes or semi-closes the skin pores so that less of those toxic chemicals are absorbed.)

2. Increase metabolism. Therefore, it can also be good for losing weight.

3. Help raise normal body temperature, which helps in increasing immunity.

4. Save time. (I used to shower for 30 minutes in hot water, now its only 5 minutes or less)

5. Save electricity and heating bills. (I save around 8,000 yen or 80 USD a month on heating bills since I cancelled the contract because I'm not using it anymore.)

Cons:
    1. Cold showers may not be advisable and may be fatal to people who have blocked/constricted arteries, as the arteries may abruptly shrink and block the blood flow when exposed to cold temperature.

7. Mark

8. asian-adventurer

My pleasure. Btw, I've been using cold showers for about 2 years now.

9. aron

aron Fapstronaut

10. Mark

Thanks aron!;)

11. aron

aron Fapstronaut

Wait what???? jilltedjohn, is that really you? Why did you change your name to FreeWill? By the way, congratulations on becoming a moderator. That was long overdue :)

12. Mark

I quickly grew to dislike jilted john because when i got here I had no idea id be sticking around and I was kind of fresh from being 'jilted' by my now ex-wife and as id recently heard the old punk parody jilted john again after many years (dated but still funny as hell!) I couldnt think of anything else so I panic picked that. The problem is that its not really been the best 'affirmation' constantly having even a subtle reminder that im no longer with my wife etc (which has been more painful than I could ever put into words) and I'd enquired abiut changing it ages ago (it might sound petty but it was just 'niggling' me) so when the opportunity came up I changed it. I wanted my real name Mark (which I dont mind sharing at all) but it must have been taken? I kinda liked FreeWill coz it matched my free willy picture (and because I have an odd sense of humour?!?!) Anyway I gotta take a (cold!!:mad:) shower and get off to work!;)

13. freedomwarrior

freedomwarrior Fapstronaut

Today marked the end on week 1 of my cold showers, and I have loved them from day 1.

14. Mark

Just a quickie...how long are people staying in the shower when it running cold? Any longer than three seconds and I'm outa here!! (Kidding! I could stretch to five!!;))

15. Mark

Well I had a go this morning! Started with hot water first then switched to cold and managed to last for about 20 seconds (which was probably the campest 20 seconds of my entire life!;)) but its a start at least!

So once the waters cold (there's no way I'm ready to go straight for cold yet!) how long are people staying under? I guess the obvious answer is as long as possible but am curious?

16. asian-adventurer

I don't use hot water anymore, so I basically take cold showers almost everyday even in winter. Including shampooing and washing my body with soap, it's around 5 minutes.

17. Mark

Five minutes! Wow! Im going to go for 21 seconds tomorrow then build up slowly from there! ;)

18. Spartan

Spartan Fapstronaut

Man, I do cold showers everyday ... but more for the awesome fat loss and muscle gain benefits. I don't think it'll help reduce your libido if that's what your lookin' for :)

Basically you start off hot like normal and then end for a minute on as cold as you can handle. You'll feel like a million bucks.

Try it and stay spartan.

19. Mark

Thanks Spartan. Its not libido for me its more the all round benefits I'm interested in although I do think some people use them to 'cool' off sometimes? There's no way I'm ready to go all out cold (not in England at this time of year at least!) and I've been doing hot to cold which is ok. And I even managed to build up to a minute on all out cold (even if it was the campest minute ever!!:D) And yes you really do feel good afterwards, which I'm liking. Cheers mate:)

20. Morrow

Morrow Fapstronaut

Hi, I tried to take a cold shower today, because I saw your video yesterday. I didnt count the seconds though :p. Part of my reason was that we in german have this expression "warmduscher" (someone who takes warm showers) which means a wimp. Its kind of ironic to have this expression because I think 90 percent or so of the population are warmduscher. Still it would be cool not to be one. (also we have the insult "wichser", someone who faps, that refers to 90 percent of the population)

Well, my experiences. I started all cold and all body. It was crazy. I immediatly started fast and heavy breathing, because 1. i was fucking scared and 2. my body needed the energy for warmth. I made it a while because I thought I would get used to the temperature, but instead I started shivering very hard, while other muscels (my feet and belly) began to cramp. And that felt very unhealthy. Well i finished the shower with warm water, but can someone tell me wether that will be getting better after a few tries?