Catholic / Orthodox Fapstronauts

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. M L

M L Guest

I've had a thought. We are all doing a nofap challenge of varying length. Maybe this group should do a Rosary challenge. 1 week of 5 decades per night. I think this would help us all stay clean. What do you think? Anyone else in? I will commit to this now, I invite you all to join me.

Remember, the Rosary is the weapon! (St. Pio, I think)

2. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

I'm in! Starting when?

M L likes this.
  3. M L

M L Guest

Well it's Monday here, so Monday to Monday?

4. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

I don't know if enough people will see it in time for tonight. It's your idea of course, but do you think Tuesday to Tuesday would be better?

5. M L

M L Guest

Good point. Tuesday to Tuesday sounds good. Or Wednesday?

6. hopefullynotfappin

hopefullynotfappin Fapstronaut

Looks like I found a new YouTuber worth watching.

7. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

For sure, he is fantastic. Catholic, incidentally. I'm going to add his stuff to my list of suggestions on the first page of the thread.

8. Podraig

Podraig Fapstronaut

I'm up for the Rosary week. Let me know what day we're starting.
    You guys may appreciate this and it's somewhat related:

Mother,
    Let these few words of simple art
    Be a small reparation to thy Immaculate Heart
    And lend me thy hand of purest white,
    For a Mother's Love is more than all the world's might.

Nurture my fickle heart with steadfast Love
    And remind me more of that descending Dove
    That I might be led from sin and wrath,
    Back to that steep, but Loving path.

Then, when on darkened Calvary thou stand
    With tearful eye and trembling hand,
    And beside thee and before Him I kneel,
    Help me embrace that wretched, blessed Cross and be healed.

headedup, M L and Leo33 like this.
  9. M L

M L Guest

I think Tuesday to Tuesday is good Podraig:)

10. Leo33

Leo33 Fapstronaut

I'm in! Tuesday to Tuesday!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    M L likes this.
  11. Ambrose

Ambrose Fapstronaut

I'm in as well.

The rosary is a western practice though so maybe our Orthodox brethren/sisters could join with the Akathist to the Mother of God or something? Chime in Easterners what do you think?

headedup and M L like this.
  12. Leo33

Leo33 Fapstronaut

Attention All!!!!!

Don't forget we are starting the one week Rosary challenge starting today for the next 7 days. 5 decades a night for our healing and recovery. GOD BLESS YALL!!!!!

13. Found an inspirational quote, but it will not fit on my status bar, so I thought I would post it here.

"You have to decide what your highest priorities are, and have the courage – pleasantly, smilingly, non apologetically – to say "no" to other things. And the way you do that is by having a bigger "yes" burning inside of you. The enemy of "best" is often "good."" - Stephen Corey

Praying for everybody! :)

14. M L

M L Guest

Friends, I confess - I fell asleep during the third decade last night. I woke up with rosary beads imprinted on my legs.. I finished it this morning:)

I will do better tonight..

headedup likes this.
  15. Leo33

Leo33 Fapstronaut

That's pretty funny, beads imprinted on ur leg. I bet that happened to alot of the Saints too! :)

16. Ambrose

Ambrose Fapstronaut

To those of us who have committed to the rosary for the group. Keep it up, even if you have a PMO lapse don't quit praying. If you miss a day of the rosary, resume the next day, but don't quit.

17. Leo33

Leo33 Fapstronaut

Very good Ambrose, Friday Sorrowful Mystery night.

18. Ze'ev

Ze'ev Fapstronaut

Hi,

Sorry I've been gone so long, but the thread has really blossomed in my absence.

As a soon to be Orthodox Christian, I wanted to chime in on the question of Rosary challenge equivalents for Eastern Christians. Akathists could work. There's also the lay version of the Paraklesis (small or great), the Rule of St. Pachomius (a prayer text), or any number of Canons of Repentance (I have one from my Jordanville prayer book, which is Russian Orthodox). To delve a little deeper into this topic, there is of course also the Jesus Prayer. If you have a prayer rope or beads (it can be done easily with a rosary as well), it's easy to just commit to a certain number of repetitions. One thing I like to do to vary it up is to do, say, ten repetitions of the Jesus Prayer, and then occasionally alternate it with the prayer of St. Macarius the Great, which is similar: "Lord have mercy on me, as You will and as You know." I'm also personally a fan of the Lamentations of St. Gregory of Narek. He was an Armenian mystical saint, who wrote beautiful prayers that are both penitential and adorational. Some links:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Protection_of_the_Mother_of_God (Akathist to the Theotokos)

http://www.orthodoxchristian.info/pages/mikropar.htm (Small Paraklesis to the Theotokos (can be done by a reader))

http://www.saintjonah.org/services/stpachomius.htm (Prayer Rule of St. Pachomius)

http://www.stgregoryofnarek.am/book.php (Lamentations of Gregory of Narek)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    funkycedars and headedup like this.
  19. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

Thanks @Ze'ev ! I'm Roman Catholic but I will try some of these out!

20. Ze'ev

Ze'ev Fapstronaut

No problem! If they're helpful for you, that's great.