1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

College tips?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Waifukiller, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Waifukiller

Waifukiller New Fapstronaut

Hey guys, I'll be entering college in about 2 weeks. I've been told I'm a smart cookie, but I don't apply myself. They were right about that, considering that all I did was procrastinate. However, college is a new start and that warrants some good preparations. Anyone have tips to offer as I embark on a new chapter of my life?

2. selfimprovement8008

selfimprovement8008 Fapstronaut

study for tests beforehand by reading/practicing ahead, keep an ear out for examples that the professor hints will be on the test or an example or concept that shows frequently, professors love to give a problem or question that tests multiple concepts at once so practice those hard problems or go step by step on high level concepts.

Waifukiller and Deleted Account like this.
  3. dignifiedrose

dignifiedrose Fapstronaut

Make sure you know what you want out of the next four years of your education. If you cruised through HS with minimal effort, depending on where you are enrolled, you might be able to do the same at your university. Just be aware that opportunities are always passing by; question what you want with your education, take initiative in the things that really, really matter. You're not going to get these years back, and time only moves faster as the months go by.

Waifukiller likes this.
  4. Make a regular study plan. It's very crucial to be regular. (Have fun from time to time, but not at the expense of important studies.)

Deleted Account and Waifukiller like this.
  5. Get familiar with the Freshman woman in your class, but also those woman a grade or two above you. Those upper class woman may be more responsive to you for friendship as well as intimacy. The upper class Men will be macho for the Freshman newbie girls, and upper class woman won't be getting as much "play". Take a look at the book: How to succeed with woman. It's killer! The other thing is you said you procrastinate. Woman in your generation are looking for "type A" men these days, so forget about "PC" bullshit and buckle down... My $.02. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2019
    Jayrod993 and Waifukiller like this.
  6. I recommend scheduling just one day per week studying a chapter of your course for a minimum of 1 to 2 hours with no internet. According to science, a typical human can concentrate up to around 4 hours a day. Repeating this makes you more prepared for the exam instead of just cramping at the last minute.

I also recommend reading non-fiction books to increase your knowledge and improve yourself. Here are some recommendations to start:
    • A Short History of Everything by Bill Bryson
    • Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
    • Deep Work by Cal Newport
    • Atomic Habits by James Clear

Waifukiller likes this.
  7. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Track every grade. Write down every score.

Don’t procrastinate. If you discover you have a question at 2 am the day an assignment is due you won’t have time to ask.

Treat it like a job. Put in some work on every class between each classroom session.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. SilentWolfSong

SilentWolfSong Fapstronaut

Know why you are going to college. If you have a goal that you are determined to get to, you will study well and prioritize college.

I cruised through classes in HS, and while I studied, I didn't really apply myself. I went to college and took a bunch of classes, very few of which have any bearing on the job I'm about to start. Know why you are going to college. Write out your five year plan. I didn't like people telling me that...I had no clue what my plans were. Maybe you don't know - as you said, people said that you didn't apply yourself in HS...some light introspection should bring u the reason for that. HS too easy or purposeless? If so, you might do well if you know what you want to do in college. If you're generally unmotivated in life, take courage - you can still do well in college, but take it slow till you know what you want to do (and so you save money). Take gen ed classes while working at a non fast-food/restaurant job (unless you plan a career in fast food). If you enjoy the job you do and want to stay in the industry, study for a job in that industry. If not, feel free to try a different job. Just don't push yourself into a college path for the sake of having a path to walk on. If you didn't apply yourself in HS, why would you apply yourself in college? You need to have a purpose for what you do in life. I didn't, and may be starting on my career path at age 24.

Don't procrastinate.
    Don't choose play before work.
    Don't overload yourself with full time work, full time college, and social media/internet/videos/games the rest of the time. Plan out time to do light exercise - trail walking, biking, just being outside.
    Eat right, sleep right - humanly speaking, your future depends on you.

Success is NOT a given.

That would be my advice to me back when I started college.

Could be the wrong advice for you! :)

Waifukiller and dignifiedrose like this.