1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are you?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ajar, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

What essentially defines who are you? Is it your thoughts, your emotions, how you process those emotions, or thoughts? Is it your physical appearance, your clothes, your shoes?

Let me take you through my thought process...

Question: Who are you in the eyes of someone else?
    I believe its the summation of your physical expression. Think about it, how does anyone define who you are? how do you even define who you are?
    Its your actions, what you do. How do you it. The choices you make. Whether you're rich or poor. That is truely who you are. These are the things that define us in the physical world. They represent your drive, your past, maybe even your future.

If I tell you don't judge a book by its cover, then unless you have some kind of ailment, what doesn't the cover show?
    Are you talking about personality? Lets see, now what is personality? Its the way you treat someone, how you treat yourself, right?
    If you have a nasty personality, then you will generally treat someone bad, as well as yourself. The reason they're nasty is because they beat themselves up over their own past, they don't allow themselves to be happy, neither anyone around them.

If you have a awesome personality, then you will generally be pretty nice on average. Good clear upbringing. Or just Strong.

Where does this personality stem? Our background. Our experiences in the past. These shape the way we see the present, even our future.

So, in my opinion, who cares about the pages.

Next time you go out there, or even in your own house, think about how you are defining yourself. Think about how you are defining other things, and their perceptions. You are the literal cause of how people treat you. You make choices that demand respect, you get respect. You make choices that let people see you as weak, then people will walk all over you.

Hey I'm open to criticism, tell me if I am wrong.

2. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

My values define me.

Optimum Fortitude and Ajar like this.
  3. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Yes and no.
    Yes in that if expressed it becomes who you are relative to others, and no in that you define yourself on how you see yourself through others eyes. Because without others, what's the point of values?

4. For me I do my best to be conscious and do what makes sense and is needed There is no such thing as I it's a illusion . Changing your personality can be fun creating which ever one is needed at that time. Creating the experience in a way that serves you for what you need at that time .

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Dude, I never said anything about illusions or changing personalities. I'm literally saying that who you are on the inside reflects the outer.

6. Who we think we are is just a illusion .

shamrock19 likes this.
  7. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Oh so you're saying that what society thinks of you doesnt mean anything? That is utter bullshit. You live in society, you feel good by its rules, you feel in, out, cool, poor, rich all by its rules. You dont sling feces at each other because as well...those are the pillars of society. Given there are a few variations in expectations based on what you claim yourself as. How you learned to define yourself was through experience in society. These identities aren't an illusion, they are a constructs of expression built upon your own reflections, insecurities, fears. They are your cage. Fortunately, for you the cage is always being refined, as new things are learned. You can give yourself experiences you need so you can improve that self image, or the way you feel others see you.

8. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

So if you think about it, we practically cant define ourselves. We can only give our best according to the situation, and how we see ourselves in it

9. Yep as long as your okay with yourself . You and I dont need pillars of society to tell us not to sling poop we just naturally know that we shouldn't . I naturally know I should not kill or fight or cheat or miss treat anything we are not animals .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  10. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

How do you naturally know that? That's just bs. You do realize that's why jail was created, right? That's like saying a child automatically knows not to shit without pampers. I dont even think I can take you seriously right now. Have you ever done any thought onto psychology? like jeez do some research

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  11. Genetic memory . Jails were created because our animal side overpowers us at times . There is more to us than just our brains. Your tone is all wrong bro take a chill pill and please stop being so condescending .

12. shamrock19

shamrock19 Fapstronaut

Who am i? Its such a funny question.... it really is a bottomless pit but can you live a meaningful life without asking it? or even a happy one..... you never really get a happy man asking the question 'who am i?'

Who is the one asking the question also? Surely thats who you are? But the question merely arises in your stream of thoughts? so can you merely be a thought? or are you the thinker of that thought? the smeller of that smell?

Merrr i give up.

Poseidongodofthesea likes this.
  13. I guess you could say we are all definitely life .

14. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

The only answer to who you are is your practicality. You define yourself through actions, even more through hardships. Your values reflect beliefs which reflect motive which reflect action