1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts and Prayers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 21, 2019.

1. I get some viewing this negatively when the response comes from a person who could help but chooses not to; however, I don’t understand why so many average Joes lay into each other via social media when everyone is trying to show support and comfort in the wake of a situation no one has control over.

Have we, as human beings, become so negative in our views that we can’t even allow someone to show support, simply because their view and method differ from our own beliefs? Back when I didn’t even believe in anything, I was never upset when I got this response from others after something painful happened. By all means if you believe in prayer then pray! If you believe in new age energy stuff then send good vibes. If you don’t believe in shit then have a moment of silence, but don’t berate a person, who has just as much control as you do, for expressing their support.

Let people care in their own way!

/rant

2. I love to debate and I have been harsh but there are members here that have really taught me how to disagree in love and That is so important.

3. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

There are just some people that love to hate (and perhaps also live to hate), especially when it comes to religion.

4. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

For some, it’s not prayer itself (well, some hate religion in general), but rather using prayer as an excuse for slothfulness. There are people who want to take the lazy way out by just claiming they’re praying, rather than attempting to actually change something for the better.

I found those same people “pray” to God in quite possibly the most disrespectful and bossiest way also. It’s great to pray in humility and respect to the significance in whom you’re praying to, but there’s differences between demanding a servant to do something, and pleading for the most powerful figure in the universe for support.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

It's possible for an atheist/agnostic to be compassionate. Sometimes they are nicer than religious people. In my opinion, there is no worse devil than a phony religious person.

6. I get that and I understand why they view it as a useless platitude in those circumstances; however, when it’s two Joe Schmo’s on social media then I don’t see the need for people to berate the person who believes in the power of prayer.

I never said it was impossible. I’ve seen kind people of all ways of life. I think any phony person is bad whether they’re a believer or an atheist/agnostic.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
    Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  7. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Misery loves company.
    Those who make things miserable are often just miserable themselves.
    Life hurts, doesn't it?

8. I have this weird aversion to telling people I will pray for them. I often will pray for them but TELLING them that I will makes me uncomfortable. Its my problem for sure. I always assume its the last thing they want to hear but I could be very very wrong.

9. I don’t tell people that I’ll pray for them either so I’m right there with you, broseph.

Deleted Account likes this.