1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you take a gap year before college?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Demure_Dreamer, Aug 15, 2019.

1. If so, what did you do during that? Did you learn a new skill or traveled anywhere?

RicardoL likes this.
  2. I didn't, but I think it's probably a good idea for most people. The whole institution of college is kind of insane. We allow an 18 year old kid who likely has no idea what their doing with their life rack up thousands and thousands of dollars of debt to get a degree they might not even use, since they might not even know what they want to do yet. It seems pretty crazy when you think about it.

I feel like more often than not, people aren't really ready for college when they start it. I, for one, thought I wanted to be a marriage and family therapist, and was pursuing a degree in psychology with plans to continue on toward my MFT and PHD. But after two years of studying psychology (and just getting to know myself better) I realized that I don't think I have the right personality for therapy, as much as I find psychology fascinating. I could have gone into research instead, but when I got married during the summer after my second year, I decided to take the fall semester off to sort of enjoy married life for a bit and adjust to that. I never ended up going back to college.

I don't regret going to college, at all. I loved every second of it, and I actually miss it. I really like learning, and if I had the money and time, I think I would probably always be in some kind of school, taking some classes here and there. But when it comes down to it, I spent two years and my parents spent a lot of money for me to get no degree to show for it, because I didn't know myself well enough to know what I wanted to do with my life back then. And I honestly really thought I did. I've always been pretty mature for my age, compared to my peers, and I was never a slacker or anything. But therapy just wasn't for me, and maybe a gap year could have allowed me to figure that out before.

3. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I didn't, here if you want to become a professional you should do it as fast as you can.

4. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

I unintentionally did due to the fact that I had no job at the time and was looking for one. Spent a lot of that time just looking for a job, reading and fixing computers. It was 2008-2009, so I'm sure everyone could imagine how difficult it was to get a job around then. I didn't get into a community college until 2010 after a lot of arguing with my parents about how I needed their tax information to apply for financial aid.

Demure_Dreamer and MLMVSS like this.
  5. spaces

spaces Fapstronaut

I went to college and got held back due to lack of attendance , I freaked out in college and stopped attending classes. i waited for a year for the next batch to start , during that time i saw P , more P some times less P,.

Demure_Dreamer and MLMVSS like this.
  6. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

I took one AFTER it lol. And it was not college but rather a highschool displaying an associate's degree which I got. But just next to it was a college. Now I'm currently a content wage slave working on the projects...

7. RicardoL

RicardoL Fapstronaut

I did. i got my drivers license and did a 6 mth internship. so when i got my diploma i have 5 mths job experience while my classmates had none lol

8. Wow. You sound like an ass. I'm not a spoiled brat, thank you very much. Keep your ridiculous judgements to yourself.

brilliantidiot, MLMVSS and Taylor25 like this.
  9. Because I'm an American, and you're talking shit about Americans. It's pretty simple. You can't generalize and entire country in a really negative light and then be surprised when someone from that country gets offended.

Not in the slightest. I didn't "refute your statement" because it was an idiotic statement, and I owe you nothing. I don't have to explain myself to you. You're just being extremely mean, and it's not a good look. Why do people feel the need to tear others down to feel good about themsleves? I will never understand that. You seem so proud of yourself for saying something mean and hurtful. That's really messed up. Even if I was being immature -- which I'm not -- at least I'm being kind and trying to provide helpful advice, not coming in here talking crap about people I don't even know, to make people feel bad so I can feel better about myself. That's also super mature, indeed.

RicardoL, Taylor25 and brilliantidiot like this.
  10. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

??
    So all 25 million American kids are jerks?
    Every single "European Union" kid is mature?

Sure.

Why do you think this?

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. brilliantidiot

Our eduction system may be screwed but at least we don't yet get put in jail for "offensive" facebook posts!

12. Beamer

Beamer Distinguished Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

My Journal
    Hello,

This is a kind request to stay on topic and to respect each other's points of view during the discussions.

Thank you !

-Beamer
    NoFap Moderation Team

13. brilliantidiot

Thats literally what you just said

14. brilliantidiot

Thanks. My particular question is why did you say that all american kids are "spoiled brats that behave like unchained beasts".

15. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Really? I always thought you were british for some reason.

The More You Know.

16. hahaha, now this is funny. The entire premise of arguement -- and all the cute little quotes you've brandished alongside it -- is based on a statistically inaccurate statement you've made.

"Recent statistics from UCAS show that over 5% of accepted university applicants in the UK deferred admission for one year in 2012. Statistics in the USA pale in comparison, where an estimated 1.2% of first-time college freshmen deferred admission in 2011 to take a gap year, according to the Higher Education Research Institute."

"Although a gap year is a new concept to Americans, it's an established tradition for students in the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. In the UK and Australia, about 11% of students take a gap year"
    [source I] [source II]

So by your very own standards of maturity and independence, it would seem that Americans have quite the upper hand, don't they? ;) Or maybe this is just slightly more nuanced than you're making it out to be.

17. A lot of people think that actually. lol I like a lot of British things.

18. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

My gap year was me traveling. I spent as much time as my passport/visas allowed me to in several places from the end of 2013 to January 2015. I did come home every now and then for a few weeks before I went back out. But while out, I house sat for a lot of people (especially in Europe) and it was a way to get money and a free place to stay.

It was one of the best decisions I ever made, although I definitely wouldn’t do it again in 2019 or any time soon. It taught me about people, cultures and skills that i wouldn’t have ever learned from university, especially within a year.

I’d say find something that you like to do, and something that benefits you, and try that out for a bit. School can be extremely draining.

19. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

It’s just a way to explore the world they live in, and maybe a chance to start traditions of their own. Gap years, depending on how they are used, can be more beneficial than a cookie-cutter university pathway.