1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on other intelligent life existing?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Just done, Aug 1, 2019.

What are your thoughts?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2019.
  1. Yes

70.6%
  2. No

11.8%
  3. Would be fascinating!

23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ANOTHER intelligent life existing?
    who are the first ones?

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  2. Apha Centauri, the closest system ~4ly away, might harbor life. At least nobody has ruled it out yet. Hell, there might be life in the Solar system. Bacteria on Venus or even more complex organisms on one of the moons.

Astronomers are actually pretty clueless even about our backyard - there's a hypothesised ninth planet beyond Neptune (not Pluto) which nobody has seen yet. So I'm pretty sure there could be a medieval civilization on one of the planets orbiting one of the Centauri suns without us having a clue.

3. Breadman

Breadman Fapstronaut

I would guess yes because the universe is so vast but I sure think we could use some here on earth.

4. if the universe is so vast where is the advansed life? we have exactly zero evadence of other life forms. Sure I think simple life exists anywhere there is liquid water, but advanced life? Let me tell you why not...we will (earth) be destroyed by the universe (astroid or gamma burst) long before we discover the means to travel at the speed of light. This happens to every other civilization as well. The universe only lets us ride so long!

5. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

Sure, I believe that there's a good chance that there's intelligent life out there. There's just so many possibilities as to what exactly that entails.I'm also open to the idea that we're the most advanced and we're the alien life that some world is on the lookout for. ("Darn humans abducting my livestock! Poor Bessy just hasn't been the same." "Or maybe it's because you're against vaccinating your animals against the very disease that Bessy is sick with?" "Shaddup! It was the humans I tell you!") There's this podcast called The End Of The World, where the host discusses various existential crises. The first two or three episodes cover why we haven't seen alien life. The first episode has the Fermi Paradox which says that if they were out there, we'd have seen the evidence, if not have made contact by now. Ep 2 has what they call the Great Filter which is essentially the event or situation which if a civilization can make past, then they've proven that they can survive pretty much anything. They're interesting theories at least.

6. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

7. dude chill

8. Only one intelligent species per galaxy is permitted. No chance for any of them to meet in the present dimension due to constraints of biology and time. All will meet them in eternity, which is when interstellar travel will become a reality. I am looking forward to it! :)

9. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

As the universe is endless, this is almost no debate.

A more interesting debate is whether extraterrestrial life visited us in history before or not.

10. Just done

Just done Fapstronaut

Your opinion! I like this debate, that's why i created this thread.

11. Also, it's his opinion that the universe is infinite. It might be finite.

12. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

It's not. But it's very big. So definitely odds are we're not alone.
    It's not an opinion. It's physically proven to be finite. It has been found out in the 1800s. If it was infinite, this means in any direction you look there would be an infinite amount of stars, no matter the distance, the light would sum up infinitely, therefore you'd only see light and nothing else when looking at the sky. It would be white.

13. You're wrong, it's still an open problem.
    For one, why would there have to be an infinite amount of stars? At least I'm not aware of a reason why couldn't the universe be infinite with a finite star count.
    Second of all, even if there were infinitely many stars (there could be) then we wouldn't have to see all of them. Some could be so far away that their light wouldn't have reached us yet.

14. I agree with the "fact" - call it whatever you want, it's our best theory - that the universe is finite. But the reasoning, that we'd only see white because the light would sum up is false. We also assume the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, meaning that we can only see up to the radius where the expansion is faster than c, the speed of light. Beyond that there could be anything, we will never "know" we can only look at our calculations at that point...

The idea of infinity in nature seems to be unlikely. It seems the world is pixelated, voxelated in 3D if you'd like to call it that. Nothing can exist between two points a planck-length apart, if you zoom in close enough, "objects" - if you can call them that - kind of teleport from one of these points in space to another. The same is true for the X-Dimension, the Y-Dimension and the Z-Dimension, making up space. It is also true for time, so even time is chopped into segments. I think it has to do with the - possibly - impossible amount of options or data, that had to exist to account for true infinitesimally spread apart points in any dimension. I think the same is true for the size of the universe, it is finite, everything is, it is segmented and higherdimensional than what people think. But finite, so you could actually calculate what's going on in there. Otherwise you could fit everything in everything in everything in everything in everything..... because thats how infinity works, it's pure chaos, too much.

Extraterrestrial life most likely exist, actually; calling it extraterrestrial is making the world - terra - a bigger deal than it is. It's not the center of the universe, not in the spotlight, just a pale blue dot in a space that is so large that no one could ever imagine it. Almost everything is extraterrestrial, almost all lifeforms will be extraterrestrial.

15. Just done

Just done Fapstronaut

I'd say the universe is possibly endless. Because we can't observe space beyond the edge of the observable universe, it's unknown whether the size of the universe in its totality is finite or infinite.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  16. Just done

Just done Fapstronaut

Because we can't observe space beyond the edge of the observable universe, it's unknown whether the size of the universe in its totality is finite.