1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

El Paso Wal-Mart shooter

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SuperFan, Aug 4, 2019.

1. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

There's been a surge of stabbing attacks in Europe (and particularly London and the UK) ever since they opened their doors to migrants. I recognize that it's a tradeoff--maybe mass stabbings are preferable to mass shootings--but for me, I'd rather have the option to defend myself with a firearm.

It isn't just me, though ... I'm more concerned about the truly weaker people in society, particularly women and the elderly, and how restricting guns would only leave them less able to defend themselves than they already are.

Ju@n likes this.
  2. Pepperspray and baseball bats my friend. Guns are never the answer to domestic violence.

3. Not really my place to comment as i don't live in the USA but i don't think banning all firearms is practically possible due to the fact there are so many in circulation anyway. It's different over here in the UK because firearms were never really as abundant even when they were legal, so although if you know the right people and try really hard you could probably get hold of a dangerous firearm, the hoops you'd need to jump through i think put most people off but the most determined and criminal.

i think it's more of a cultural issue, in comparrison as someone else mentioned in Switzerland they have a high firearm ownership but comparitively low homicide rate to USA.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I'm still surprised he wasn't taken out within 30 seconds by a concealed carry holder. Is Walmart a gun-free zone?

5. Pepperspray can work sometimes, but you’re naive if you think those are fail safe methods. Firearms have their place in self-defense and are an answer to domestic violence and home invasion. There have been plenty of news stories of the elderly and kids protecting themselves with firearms from home invaders. But I guess for you the kids and elderly should have used pepperspray and baseball bats?

Anyone who thinks a ban on guns in the US is going to solve the problem of mass shootings is kidding themselves. First off when it comes to banning assault weapons the US has already tried that on a federal level from 1994-2004. That ban wasn’t renewed because it was shown to have no significant impact on crime in the US. Some argue that ban wasn’t that strict but they fail to understand that a stricter ban wouldn’t have changed shit either. There are, as of a report in 2012, more than 200 + million guns in circulation in the US. That’s legal gun circulation and not accounting for illegal guns. A country with that many guns isn’t going to have their problems solved by a BAN. And that’s the main takeaway. My country was built off of the amendments for our constitution. A ban will not work in the US in the same way it will in a country that does not have a history with our constitution. It’s also unrealistic to think with that amount of guns in circulation that this country could do a buy back program like Australia where they confiscated a measly 650,000 privately owned guns. Plus the only reason Australia was able to do that was because their country’s relationship with firearms is way different than the US.

Guns are here to stay in the US and the sooner the other side gets that the better we can work on finding new solutions to this issue.

Also Chicago, IL has some of the strictest gun laws in my country and they still have one of the highest murder rates by firearms than most of the other states in this country. The shooting in California at the garlic festival was done by a gun that was banned in CA. It was illegal to own it, bring one into the state, and have high capacity mags, and yet that didn’t stop the shooter from using it. Surprise surprise that a person hell bent on murdering people, which I’m sure there is a ban on that, didn’t follow other laws.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
    SuperFan and brilliantidiot like this.
  6. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Part of the problem is that we're mainly focusing on mass shootings. Those are horrible, but they also take up a huge amount of the spotlight. What we don't know is how many people successfully defend themselves with a firearm on an annual basis. We talk about banning firearms as if it would eliminate all gun violence ... but even if it would, it would also eliminate all ability to defend oneself with a firearm. John Lott, who wrote More Guns, Less Crime has explained how many of the places with gun bans actually end up with higher rates of violent crime (assault, burglary, and rape) than places where firearms are prevalent.

Probably because they don't need to. The Boston Marathon bombers and the Oklahoma City bombers were able to create carnage with stuff that was widely available (in the case of OKC, McVeigh did steal some explosive from a mining operation, but he also used large amounts of ammonium nitrate fertilizer). The Boston Marathon bombers used a pressure cooker full of nails. One of the more unfortunate realities about true evil is that it also tends to be rather creative.

In the case of full-auto, well, we saw that in Las Vegas with a bump stock. And while they've banned bump stocks, that isn't even an effective solution, because you can just use a big rubberband to achieve a fully-automatic effect. In general, I just think laws that go after the instruments are unlikely to have much of an effect.

Who said I was talking about domestic violence? I'm talking about a woman walking home late at night who gets mugged by a couple guys. Pepper spray is better than nothing, but it's not the equalizer that a firearm is--especially if the attackers are armed themselves.

If you don't want to defend yourself with a firearm, you don't have to. But don't take away someone else's right to defend themselves by denying them the single most effective tool available.

7. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Explosives are VERY easy to make, if you know how. You don't have to buy them on the black market. They are just not the weapon of choice often.

8. Selix

Selix Fapstronaut

what a loser... I dont get any girls either because I'm not ready yet but that doesnt justify to hurt other people for your own incapability

9. PeterJL

PeterJL Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

To be fair, I was pretty busy those eleven hours as well.

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. Hate to debate instead of just mourning over the shooting, but keep in mind you can literally 3d print guns these days. Rest in peace to all the victims, and peace be with the families.

11. I totally get that guns are an effective way of defending oneself, but let's be honest, they're mostly used as assault weapons and the argument of defense will never outweigh this problem. Too many people get killed in the US because of firearms, even on a daily basis. Besides, if that's the way of thinking, why not give people nuclear weapons? Way, way more effective... People will always find ways to kill each other but my point is, it shouldn't be made easier. I totally agree with you if you say that guns don't kill and people pull the trigger, but put yourself in the place of those victims and you'll be looking at it from a different perspective. You're probably thinking that at least with a gun you would have been able to defend yourself against this monster but imagine for a sec that every human being on this planet were carrying a gun to defend themselves 'just in case'. Can you see how that would be a major trust issue?

There is something very wrong with society and guns just aren't the answer. These people who do this, all they really need is love. Lack of love is the real monster. The core of this problem is in their upbringing, their emotions, not video games or whatever. When we as a society stop looking after each other, taking care of one another, that is where it goes wrong. That's when people think of violence as a solution. Preventive measures are the key answer to this plague, society as a whole needs to step in and do away with things like racism once and for all. How can it be that a nation like the US boasts about God on its dollar bills but is building walls to prevent people with a different skin color from getting in? How godly is that? Do you see how such a thing could be encouraging racism and ethnic violence? Too many people calling them followers of Jesus, Ghandi etc. who just don't get the point, they put their faith in guns when they should be putting their faith in love. What, you think Jesus would have carried a gun in His back pocket? The only thing that will stop hatred is love. Hatred doesn't stop hatred. Call me a hippy or a pacifist or whatever but take a minute to really think about it and you will know I'm right. Unfortunately life isn't a fairy-tale, the real world is cruel, sometimes guns are tempting, I get that, but we should never forget that while hatred will always be a problem, more of the same isn't the answer. Forgiveness, love, is what mankind is in need of the most. Not weapons. Want to call yourself a nation of God? Then start acting like one.

12. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

It has nothing to do with skin color or racism (the left's broken-record word), and everything to do with drug routes and crime. Opening the borders simply isn't an option, because right now the economy can't support the huge masses that would come in at once. Violence is a bad solution, which is what is happening now. The best peaceful way that I can see is to build a wall, and figure out how to let more people in legally by merit. That avoids most killing at the border, prevents the Us from being overrun by crime, and lets many great people who are willing to be great american citizens get in.

If you think the us is a totally Christian country, you are, unfortunately, wrong. The dollar bill is a hold over from that era.
    I would love to think that is possible. Your error here is not discriminating between Church and state. The country just can't be a pacifist. The military can't ban guns. As much as I wish that my country could be a fundamentally Christian country, it isn't possible. That is one reason free speech is essential, because if the right to discriminate between Church and state.
    Which leads me to the next point. The American people want to feel that they have physical power over the government. They tend to feel that their guns are a wall between themselves and communism or something similar I believe. My point is illistrated in these posts I saw on reddit: Untitledzing12.png Untitledboom.png . So that, I think is the main reason we don't want our guns taken away. We don't want to be subject to anything, and we want to make sure that the people, not the government, holds the power. Whether this view is reasonable is debatable. In the minds of many, guns=freedom.

need4realchg likes this.
  13. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Yeah, listen, the wall has nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with racism. Go check out some legal immigration statistics and you'll see just how many people from different races are given citizenship and green cards every year. Like @brilliantidiot said, the country's economy simply can't support so many people coming in at once. That's why there are rules on how to get in. If we just let everyone in, the USA will literally collapse. Gone will be one of the most important countries in the world.
    Let's please not forget about all the drugs that are smuggled in. MS-13 and other gangs running around mugging and murdering people. The US has enough crime to deal with without undocumented illegals adding to the load. If anything's encouraging violence, it's the lack of a wall.

brilliantidiot and need4realchg like this.
  14. I went to same high school as shooter. He lived close to where i used to go to church.

I haven’t looked up the stats in gun ownership in El Paso, but it’s largely democratic.

Gun ownership is different when you live in the country versus the city. In the country everyone has a gun. In the city, the “privileged” and the criminals have a gun.

My theory is he was more anti beto than pro trump/ anti-immigrant.

brilliantidiot likes this.