1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Best FASTEST Way to Learn Piano ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by EXPONENTIALLY, Aug 4, 2019.

Tags:

Time to perform these 2 (as a total beginner), 1-2H/week

1. 3 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 year

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

I want to play fluently any song, like these 2:

2. Trancespotter

Trancespotter Fapstronaut

3. Learn chords first. There's a program called "piano for quitters" that's pretty good, but you can also just learn online, probably for free. But there's no magic trick. You just have to practice a lot if you want to be able to play like that.

4. Music Man

Music Man Fapstronaut

Get a teacher. You'll learn faster with one than without, and he/she will keep you from developing bad habits that will hurt you later on. You can injure yourself with poor mechanics at the piano. One or two hours per week is not much practice. A student who's past the initial 6-12 months, knows how to read music at a basic level of competence, and feels comfortable with the keys should be practicing at least 30 minutes per day. With that amount of practice you're looking at several years before you can play either of the pieces you referenced. To play any song fluently as you desire will require many more years of work.

MLMVSS and EXPONENTIALLY like this.
  5. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

Everything has pretty much been said but I'll add something not explicitely stated before: start learning theory from the start. It's vital to actually knowing anything you're doing. There's no way around it, you either study it or you'll never play anything with sense. +1 for a teacher. That is incredibly important, made more progress in 3 months with a teacher a hour and a half a week (practicing everyday) than in 3 years teaching myself off the internet, and I was even quite good at that, but there's just no comparison.

EXPONENTIALLY and Music Man like this.
  6. Music Man

Music Man Fapstronaut

Absolutely. Learning theory is the difference between reciting the notes on the page and understanding why you're playing them. You'll become a better pianist faster if you understand the why. You'll also learn to recognize the structures within the music, which will lead to you learning new pieces in less time. If you ever want to play something improvised or to compose your own music you'll have to have a strong theory background.

EXPONENTIALLY likes this.
  7. EXPONENTIALLY

So in my case, how much time to play that one for example:
    [​IMG]

And that one (1st song I referenced) ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Music Man

Music Man Fapstronaut

It's very specific to the individual student. It takes years of regular practice, but with the right mindset you'll have a lot of fun along the way and will be very happy that you did it. If you want to learn to play piano I'd suggest you get a teacher, commit to an absolute minimum of 6 months of study, and see how it goes. If you want to be able to play these specific pieces then by all means set them as a goal, but don't focus on how long it will take you to get there. Focus on building the musical skills you'll need to be able to play them well.

9. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

Looking at that, I'd say you're probably looking at much more than a year with daily practice. It's not an easy piece, and some things like muscle memory just take a while to build up. Sorry man, if there was a quicker way, we'd all be doing it.

10. EXPONENTIALLY

Also pasting "F" "D" etc. on the keyboard to record chords easily ?

11. Music Man

Music Man Fapstronaut

Personally I think those labels are a crutch. I would only consider them for unusually young students (<6 years) who haven't fully learned to read yet, and only after they try to learn the keys without them. A piano keyboard looks daunting, but once you learn the seven white keys everything else is relative to them.

12. b-v-o-y

b-v-o-y Fapstronaut

Look up:
    Curiosity - Scientists Found a Technique That Can Help You Learn Skills Twice as Fast
    (I can't post the link since I haven't been here for 2 days yet lol)
    In short, people usually practice a piece by playing it over and over until they get it right...however according to this article you can learn it in a faster amount of time by playing a similar variation of that same piece. Maybe switching the speed or the key/octave/etc. just to make things more interesting. It'll be more fun than just playing the same thing over and over and make your brain work harder.