1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with sore muscles

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Eaglevision_2019, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Eaglevision_2019

Eaglevision_2019 Fapstronaut

Hi guys, I know some of you here are gym enthusiasts. So I recently started working out to gain muscles and cut belly fat (which is not much) it's my second day now, and every part of my body is sore from the workouts-shoulder, abdominal, biceps, especially. How do I get through this without stoping working out? I cant imagine exercising the same muscles tomorrow, its gonna be damn painful.

Also, you can chip in on which exercises I should focus on to cut belly fat and gain muscles. Thank you guys.

Selix likes this.
  2. Reborn_

Reborn_ Fapstronaut

Don't workout a muscle if it is still sore from your last workout. If your abs are sore, wait until they are not sore at all to work them out again. After a week or two of working out, your muscles will not get as sore and they should heal completely within 48 hours.

To lower your body fat, I would recommend HIIT and circuit training. You can google HIIT workouts and find beginner/advanced ones, and circuit training is doing multiple exercises in a row, then taking a short rest, then doing those exercises again. It depends on your workout routine though. I do weight lifting three times per week, full body workouts. So I do a chest exercise, back exercise, leg exercise, ab exercise, without rest in between, and then I take a rest after all 4 exercises are done. It really makes you break a sweat and build muscle at the same time.

3. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

Would joining a HIIT workout at a gym be beneficial? Circuit training as well?

As of right now, my gym has a Circuit Training class before an Intro to Boxing class...would that be too much on me?

4. Jarl Ulfric

Jarl Ulfric Fapstronaut

That's normal you should have break for few days, it happens in first weeks then goes away. Like nofap side effects, heheh

5. Eaglevision_2019

Thanks you for the valuable information. Is there a specific reason why muscles that are sore should not be worked?

6. Eaglevision_2019

Haha, makes sense. Wouldn't taking a break take me back to that kind of soreness once I get back to working out, though?

7. Cold showers help with recovery
    , up your protein and potassium as well. I do this and I still get sore but I have a faster recovery.

8. Nine

Nine Fapstronaut

You are experiencing DOMS, or delayed onset muscle soreness. It normally happens in three situations: 1) You're working out for the first time, 2) You've changed up your workout recently, or 3) You're not performing an exercise often enough.

Example: First few days in the gym? You'll be pretty sore after, even if the weights you used were completely fine. Keep at it. After your first week or two of lifting the soreness will dissipate.

Example 2: You've switched to a new workout, doing completely different exercises. Your body initially doesn't know how to react and you get soreness for a few days. After a week or two on the new workout, soreness will vanish.

Example 3: You skip squats for a week, and then do them the following week. Your legs will be sore as hell. Solution: Stop skipping workouts, and squat more often.

DOMS are not bad, nor harmful, and contrary to what you might think, the best thing to do when you get them, is actually to work out the affected body part again. For example, if your legs are sore, the best way to alleviate that soreness is to perform a light leg workout. Some jogging or cycling is great for leg DOMS especially, and some light dumbbell work and stretches can be great for alleviating upper body DOMS.

That said generally you shouldn't be aiming to hit the same body parts multiple days in a row. So there's no need to hit the same stuff again tomorrow. Just, don't skip your next workout tomorrow/the next day or whatever because you're feeling sore, there's no need, and you'll recover faster if you actually do the workout. If the soreness is really bothering you, do some cardio or stretching or really light dumbbell work today. Just nothing heavy hitting the same body part.

As a beginner you just really need to hop on a solid routine, get your nutrition right, and be consistent. Some popular beginner routines: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, All-Pros, Reddit PPL, WS4SB. They each have strengths and weaknesses, but you only need a beginner routine for your first 5-7 months of lifting or so, so it doesn't really matter which you pick as long as you stick with it and make some gains. Then that'll build a solid foundation for whatever routine you take next (like say 5/3/1, Juggernaut, nSuns LP).

rob13_ likes this.
  9. Reborn_

Reborn_ Fapstronaut

You should start slow and build up. Maybe try joining one class and in a few months when you are used to it, expand.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  10. Reborn_

Reborn_ Fapstronaut

Working out sore muscles usually means you are overtraining and will eventually get injured.
    And depending on how sore you are, it can be very painful to try to workout the sore muscles.

11. cadia guardsman

cadia guardsman Fapstronaut

You should do 1 day : chess and bíceps
    2 day : tríceps and back
    3 day : legs and shoulders

That worked for me!

12. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

Think circuit training might be easier or just as intense as HIIT?

13. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

If you're trying to build muscle mass by lifting heavy, you should definitely break up your workout so you're working a muscle group only twice a week, max, even if you're working out every day. For instance, my cycle is:
    • Day 1 - legs
    • Day 2 - back & calves (I add calves to my back workout because often my leg days are brutal and it just takes too much out of me)
    • Day 3 - chest, shoulders, and abs
    • Day 4 - rest
    This way, no matter how sore I might get the following day, each muscle group still has three solid days to recover before I hit it again.

Also--definitely get into the habit of drinking a protein shake right after your lifting sessions (like within 30 minutes of finishing your workout). It will help your muscles recover and grow.

And like others have said, the soreness will generally go down a bit, but you'll still experience it if you're pushing yourself. I've been lifting for 20 years (I'm 42) and still get sore, but that's also because I'm almost always pushing myself to put up more weight or reps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  14. Reborn_

Reborn_ Fapstronaut

Most likely a bit easier

15. testwarz

testwarz Fapstronaut

Replenish protein with some carbs straight after workout
    Bcaa
    Super light cardio. Walking intensity
    Sleep
    Stretching