1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Annoying things that people say

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SuperFan, Jul 20, 2019.

1. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

In the last few weeks, I've heard at least six different people use the phrase, "I really resonated with that."

No, you didn't. It isn't up to you to decide who or what YOU resonate with. The proper phrase is "that really resonated with me."

Call me a grammar Nazi, but that stuff bugs me so much! Especially when people act like they're making a deep, profound point.

In one of my recent SAA meetings, several people kept using the word "conscious" when they meant "conscience." Like, "it really weighed on my conscious ..." I don't know how I managed not to bust up from laughing.

Another guy used the phrase, "nip it in the butt" ... HUH? It's BUD, bonehead.

Any commonly mistaken words or phrases that drive you guys batty?

2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

This.
    And other expressions that are holocaust-related. I just don't like people using these terms lightly. I know there are those that disagree, but I can't stand things like that.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I remember one time a person said “I’m a grammar nazi” and one person responded with “As a grammar Jew, I’m deeply offended.” That exchange made me laugh a little since most of us never think about how casual we use the nazi title.

4. Interested point about the word Nazi.

At the Oakland Airport the people in charge of security are harder on the employees (who are badged and had background checks) than with the passengers.

We always call those security people “Port Nazi’s” since the Oakland Airport is run by The Port of Oakland.

Fact is they aren’t anywhere close in behavior to any Nazi. The over-exaggeration is not warranted. And in just about all cases nowadays that word is not warranted when used on people.

——-

As far as worrying about what people say:

God, I’m so focused now on getting my major issues dealt with, I don’t worry about other people’s minor faults.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
  5. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Sounds like a case of the Mondays.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

"I'll pray over that"/"I'll pray on that"

Coffee Candy likes this.
  7. Omg, when I was on jury duty a couple years ago this guy drove me insane. Instead of saying something like "I don't care what he did, whether it was bad or whether it was good" he would say "I don't care what he did, rather it was bad, rather it was good." And he said it SO MUCH. He kept saying "rather this, rather that" over and over and over, and it killed me.

nef and Deleted Account like this.
  8. Also, I legitimately didn't know until I wrote a book a few years ago that it's "might as well" and not "mind as well." Lol my mom corrected me when I said "mind as well" in my book and I was like wth??

kropo82 and Deleted Account like this.
  9. Lol! : )

I'll pray under that :b

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
  10. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

That is gold.

Kenzi and Deleted Account like this.
  11. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

When you trip and fall and some idiot appears and asks you "Did you just fall?"

12. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Or worse yet, when you're clearly not okay and someone asks (though I'm guilty of this as well): "Are you okay?"

13. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

"Yes I'm okay. Could you pass me my left lung? I cannot reach it as my arm is nowhere to be found."

14. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

Any curse words and critics on others especially behind their backs upset me and grieve the Holy Spirit inside of me. Rudeness is a huge black red flag for me.

15. Great thread SuperFan.

I have lots of these. I am a grammar communist as well(so as to not be confused with the other grammar parties), we believe all people should speak correctly.

Adverbs missing is my top pet peeve.
    (Along with correct usage of singular vs plural pronouns lol. Good catch @jarvyjarvison )

“I’m real sorry.” (Should be really)

I’m sure going to make this up to you.” ( Should be surely)

“I’m genuine pissed off right now.” (Should be genuinely)

Also incorrect usage of words that is Eng 1301....

“Irregardless” when they actually , mean : regardless.

My boss says this all the time. I correct him so much now he doesn’t know what the damn word means.

“irregardless of how you feel, you need to do this.” Headslap.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  16. I will give one of my favorite ones women use on guys they are not interested in dating
    guy- hey lets meet up Friday at 7 at the mall cafeteria
    girl - " I don't know you that well"- translation I don't want to meet up with you or know you but I am not just going to come out and say that.
    how many times have I had that said to me and heard it said to others oh my makes me laughf just thinking about it. wow

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
  17. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

You must mean “Missing adverbs are my top pet peeve.”

18. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

The word "like" used between every other word.

SilentJay313, Hros and Angus McGyver like this.
  19. I hate the word “proactive”.

20. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

Totally agree, especially when East Coast women use it, combined with their loud and nasal articulation (sounding like Lois in Family Guy): "Oh my God Susan, you can't seriously like mean what you just said like, just like what I heard yesterday while I was like, walking my dawg"

brilliantidiot likes this.