1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Protein Shake question

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Deleted Account, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Hello guys.
    I workout(calisthenics) from Monday to Friday and do some light stretching exercises on Saturday and Sunday aka "active rest". Anyways it turns out that I lack protein in my diet. My question: Is it okay to drink protein shake after workout on empty stomach? I exercise first time in the morning, on empty stomach(after glass of water) but so far read many different opinions on that matter and I'm slightly confused.

2. Davinblake

Davinblake Fapstronaut

Ok, so protein shakes aren't medical supplies, rather they are food (integrators of course, don't miss the word meaning). You can surely take them after a workout, and not before in my case for example, but you neet to consider an approximate dose of 2.2g/body mass maximum a day (even 3g is fine but it's the unhealty-line). This said, your body hardly uses them if taken in doses higher than 40g and just depletes them as energy or else glycogen (pre-fats). So, this considered, let's say you're 75kg with a 15% fat: you should take approximately 140g of protein a day. I can do that without any issue, i do 40g at breakfast (eggs/milk/greek or any low sugar and high protein yogurt, the dense ones) then 40g in my main meal and 40g at dinner, the remaining 20g are usually eaten in snacks or complex carbs (bananas/nuts, eat them they are good af for you). I won't ever reccomend taking protein with lean mass under 72kg, so weight under 80kg. Because it's unnecessary. If you can't eat proteins at breakfast start doing it anyways, it's too good. Btw, buy tuna for post workout, it has vit D and fats. Have a whole grain toast with it and with 100g of it you get those 20g of protein. Post workout snacks are overrated for me, just don't eat those time short (high IG) carbs, like choco and stuff when you won't use them.
    And no, it's not uhealty to drink them on empty stomach, but at least blend them with almond milk or banana. Still, you could drink them out of nowere

Asgardian36 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Yes, drink the protein shake after a workout.

SuperFan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Artificials Proteins are a poisoned honey.
    You will get big muscles really fast for sure, but some years laters you will have tons of problems with your fake muscles.
    Eat eggs and meat, and you don't need tons of proteins to build muscles, one meal with proteins every 2 days is enough

Danton_7 and Deleted Account like this.
  5. @Yep u do
    You may be right, nevertheless I do trust company I buy supplements from. I work and at the same time trying to keep my IF routine, that's why I can only afford to eat proper breakfast and dinner, some light healthy snack in the meantime.
    Right now I am able to maintain ~1,5g/kg protein in my diet but wanted to increase to ~2g/kg without drastic changes in my diet.

Anyways thank you all. I've got my answer here and there(did some extra research via uncle Google).

Yep u do likes this.
  6. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I would suggest you try any of the plant-based protein shakes or protein sources as a recovery drink/food after training. Plant-based protein sources will be easier absorbed by your blood-stream, help you build leaner muscles, give better texture to your skin and be much gentler on your body and cardiovascular system than animal-based protein sources.
    Although I am not a vegan myself (since I like having some butter, cream, cheese, fish and wild meat once in a while), my diet is overwhelmingly plant-based and I really feel a big difference compared to my old and more carnivorous days.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Thank you but it most likely won't happen. I do eat a lot of vegetables but when it comes to protein I can't eat soy/nuts which are the primary source of protein from plants.

8. Davinblake

Davinblake Fapstronaut

Fake, studies show that there is no change afterall, and also no kidney/liver problems in anyone who didn't had a pathology before. Yes, you do need those 1.5g to build muscle, it's raw raw science. Don't write this easy, istead, try checking your protein intake and seiing how you perform in running/lifting

9. @Davinblake @Angus McGyver

Guys since you seem to be knowledgeable. I did ask my friend to let me check out his protein(I was going to buy the same) and used it yesterday and today. Holy fuck it was terrible. I got gases, bloated belly like a pregnant woman(I'm rather fit) and acne breakout so decided to give up and focus on diet. After second check I realized that my diet is not that bad as long as I add all proteins. I thought that you should only count meat/egg protein(I don't count milk cause reasons..) and not plant(bread etc) ones but then I read an article that it's actually good to mix both plant and meat to mix different amino acids. My question to you is then simple, since Angus already told about using plant based protein. Do they actually count the same as meat/milk ones? If they do then I will rather focus on my diet than use some artificial shit that definitely makes me sick, cheers!

The Evangelist likes this.
  10. The problem isnt the industry that produces it, even if this is an important point, but the whole process of eating supplements. Do you know sugar in the fruits? Its good for the body with good minerals etc and the important thing are the fibers. When u eat a fruit, the fibers linked to the sugar makes that your body uses it not too fast. The industrial took only the sugar and made sirops and other weird things, some years later what happens? Tons of diabetes, obesity etcetc.
    Its exactly the same thing with protein, they remove all the little entity linked to it that makes your body using it properly. It will work at the beginning, but get ready to face some problems later (dystrophy muscular etc).
    Do you think that the ancient farmers, blacksmiths, bakers etc build muscles eating powder of protein? They ate what they had, some had only bread some meat some fruits, but it always worked fine for them.
    Nowadays we have a little more knowledge in science and we think that we are smarter than everyone. We think that we are even smarter than God. Oh food? Its only protein lipids and sugar, we can produce it too. Yeah ofc we can transform it, but look at the diseases of "civilisation". If you wanna build muscles, work for it, and try to do something usefull instead of wasting your energy for nothing. From the outside if a man was coming from the past he would think that you are soo weird lifting a piece of metal for no reason. But if you cant do something usefull its a good thing to take care of you.
    Finally, why do you want to build muscles, to care about your health? To be more attractive? God gave you a perfect body, you will have the mass of muscles you need to live properly, except if you are ill.
    what is better is the enemyof what is good'.
    One more thing, a big program during one year will be less effective than a small exercise every day. (And you might give up being exhausted one day, or having no time to do it). Push ups are free, i do some every morning and its enough and good for me, regularity and simplicity is the key!
    Have a nice day :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  11. I learned it the hard way. You are right. I have to focus on my diet. Using "empty" protein shakes is the worst thing you can do. I don't even workout that much nor I do really need that much protein that I have to resort to use them. Anyways by any chance can you answer my question: Does mixing proteins from eggs/meat/plant do the work or like people say only meat ones do count? Does for example sandwiches with brown bread, boiled eggs and vegetables (about ~30g protein) do the trick for a meal or should I only count eggs protein?

12. Thats a good thing :)
    I am gonna tell you one thing and you will guess the answer. Do you think that people who lived before us could eat meat everyday?
    They had meat maybe once a month killing their own beast. Nowadays the meat most of us eat is from a poor animal who lived in disastrous conditions, stressed all its life, suffering etc Because there is no hygiene, they give to them tons of antibiotics so they dont get sick and they dont lose money. Do you think that this kind of meat is gonna give you good proteins and good elements for your body? (You will even eat antibiotics eating this kind of poison).
    Slow down the consume of meat, eat less but good meat, or even chicken, look for official seals of quality in your country.
    The creation of God is complex, there isnt one way to be healthy, but a lot.
    Some tribes never eat meat and live healthy, some eat only good meat and milk and live healthy, listen to your body ( and your wallet too :) ). And stop calculating every gram and calories, listen to you, and always think by yourself, these guys with white overalls are humans too who make mistakes, or wants your money sometimes

13. I guess you are right. I already eat healthy. No sugar, no fast food, junk food. I do prepare my meals myself, no ordering no idea what from restaurants. Sometimes when I don't have time I do order food but again it's homemade meal. I only drink water, no sodas or other shit. I will try to eat more protein but that's it, thanks.

Yep u do likes this.
  14. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

Although some of the plant-based protein powders aren't 100% natural (especially not the soy-based ones which you should avoid because of the way soy is normally produced), they will still be a better option than the regular milk-based powders that do contain a fair amount of artificial ingredients and many times sweeteners. Several of these ingredients are either synthesized on a large scale in industrial labs/factory plants or GMO-grown. Powders containing one or more of the following ingredients you should definitely avoid:
    • Casein + WPC. These are also known as whey protein concentrate and caseinate (the protein that you will find in wood-glue)
    • Gluten. ... (most likely coming from GMO-spurces)
    • Dextrins/Maltodextrin. ...
    • Artificial sweeteners. ... (aspartame, xorbitol, xylitol, etc)
    • Skim milk powders/milk solids. ...
    • Soy protein. ...
    • Vegetable oils and fats. ... (usually not coming from the finest vegetable oils out there)
    • Thickeners and gums.

You should also be aware that whey protein is derived from cow's milk which is overall a heavily processed food-item of poor overall quality. Even in its most natural state it is not suited for human consumption overall (it is suited for the rapidly growing baby-calf and nothing more) as the protein content is way too high for humans.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-hidden-dangers-of-protein-powders

In order to find the more gentle plant-based protein sources, I can strongly recommend this great book called "The way of the Vegan meathead" by Daniel Austin:

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Vegan-Meathead-Eating-Strength-ebook/dp/B078WQD4W6

Also remember that humans don't need a ridiculously high intake of protein in order to live well. Only if you are doing heavy physical labor or workouts do you might need some additional protein. Otherwise, you will get plenty of it in a regular plant-based diet for sure.

15. @Davinblake @Yep u do @Angus McGyver

Guys I've got one last question. I do exercise after waking up on empty stomach(I do drink glass of water first, tho). Nevertheless my question is since I do IF from 08:00 to 16:00 and exercise something between 5:30-7:30(sometimes I wake up at 5, other day at 6 or later). I heard that you should eat something up to 1h after workout, otherwise your body starts to "eat" your muscles, is that true? I would rather stick to my IF routine, which means my first meal after workout is breakfast ~2h later. How bad is it? :)

16. If this was true tons of people wd be living without muscles...
    God gave you the best body, first your body takes the sugar in the blood, then the sugar stocked as glycogen, then the fat, and then, when there is nothing left after u starved for a long time, the muscles. And between one of these states, maybe near the fat uses, your body uses the bad and broken cells and uses their elements to produce energy.
    I learned that the proteins are available in the body 24h after ur last meal. (From all kind of food bread vegetables meat etc)

Doing sport with an empty stomach is the best thing to do, there are tons of studies about it. It is called fasting, like the fast of the muslims, short fast boost everything even muscle building ( its a dry fast). But dont do more than 24h if you wanna stay active, if u do more ur metabolism slows a bit and the body has new objectives.
    Even in Islam i learned that the Prophet forbade long fast, he said for the one who wanted to fast more than from the dawn (and not the sunrise like many people think) to the sunset , that they could continue to the next dawn and thats it, doing more would be disobedience, so 24 hours.

17. Davinblake

Davinblake Fapstronaut

Nananah. Exercising on a night empty stomach is bad. Do this istead, wake up, eat a small carbo/prot-meal/smoothie (like 40g and 20g) and workout. Then come back and eat the remaining 20g of proteins in eggs and nuts + 40g of carbo given by bananas or other high ig carbs. Your body doesn't "eat muscles" it eats whatever if you're on a fast. Just don't be fasting before working out. Also, the 45m-1h time they sell you as essential, is just a time where you can replenish your glycogen stores, meaning you'll be less likely to skip next day thanks to soreness.

18. Working out at night is bad, but on an empty stomach no. Instead of wasting energy digesting what u ate, all the energy is focused on the effort.
    Dont think that : i ate an egg my body is full of protein. Proteins are one of the hardest thing to digest, so it will never be ready at time and will take some energy. But because u are working out, the body cant digest properly. So u will fail both thing, working out and digesting.
    Or you work or you rest, doing a mix of it is less effective. Like playing and working at thr same time, u cant enjoy ur game and u arent effective at work.

19. Davinblake

Davinblake Fapstronaut

I was talking sheer protein, even sheer aminos if needed. The problem is that not everyone can burn fat rather than muscle fiber on an empty stomach.
    This said probably the best thing to do is: drink hot water (0.5L if you can) and go for a walk, like a sort of liss workout. Personally i wouldn't advice working out on an empty stomach

20. I have literally 0 trust in this kind of sheer things, look at sugar and the consequences of it, people are gonna get tons of problems later... thats sad.
    The body will always use the muscles at the really end when there is nothing left.
    And working on an empty stomach is the best thing to do, even without science etc, i feel more comfortable doing sport being empty. But i guess that it depends on the people.