1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the fuss is live-action Ariel black?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 3, 2019.

1. The Ariel character is fantasy, and only loosely takes inspiration from the Danish fairy tale.

2. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

I've never seen a black mermaid.

3. it's the same, it adjust to little minds of our time, so there's an happy ending but the story is the same, beautiful ginger mermaid loves a prince, but by the end of the film they marry in the novel she die.

4. I see that thats what you were trying to do, I just don't see the point or why it matters at all. I mean we are talking about a casting decision for a movie... I can't see any way anyone's opinions on the subject could be anything but subjective.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
    Deleted Account likes this.
  5. I'm pretty sure there were black mermaids in Little Mermaid. I could be wrong, but I feel like I remember some of then being black.

6. I think my husband said Terry Crews is playing Triton.

7. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I've never seen a mermaid.

8. Of course any opinion about anything is subjective by definition. What I meant is that one can base their opinion on logic and reason (being objective), compared to emotions and personal feelings. Saying 'nobody else can play Batman because he was first played and established by Michael Keaton' therefore dismissing all other actors only because they don't look like Michael Keaton isn't the same as saying 'I prefer Batman to look like Michael Keaton (because maybe I grew up watching him) but I can acknowledge that other actors can portray his character just the same'. Same goes for saying Ariel can't be played by a black actress because supposedly her character is established as having to be white. Everyone on this planet is allowed to think whatever they want, I was just wanting to give an incentive to self-reflect, since I know (from personal experience) that nostalgia or other personal feelings can easily cloud judgements. That's all.

9. No that's not the same, batman is a fictional character taken from dc comics and portrayed like it is(a white handsome man) some secondary traits can change(some actor could have beard some don't) but the most important trait of batman are the same(he's a white orphan of billionary couple, all actor have been white with dark hair then obv some are more handsome than others, taller than others but basically share these peculiarities).
    Ariel was danish, pale, ginger with blue eyes once I had these you can say it's the same. Andersen described ariel white and if you use his story you use his protagonist that's all, this is objective
    you would have been right if for example the discussion were like "why the actress for ariel is natalie dormer(with hair dyed like in Got) instead of Emma stones that is naturaly ginger?" because in this case is a preference between two actress that both has the right characteristics for being ariel. Halle I'm sure she's a great singer and actress but she's not Ariel and that's all

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
  10. randomname3

randomname3 Fapstronaut

I'm happy to have actual good stories that take place in other cultures as long as they don't denigrate my own. But I'm beyond done with this race swapping double standard.

11. RobinCoenBrosFan

RobinCoenBrosFan Fapstronaut

One of the worst films ever made.

12. You're comparing apples and oranges again, but I've already gone over this several times, so I'll just leave it there.

Deleted Account and fg4795 like this.
  13. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

If someone makes a reboot of Blackula, they better cast a white dude to play the main character.

randomname3 likes this.
  14. To me it's just another SJWs bullshit. It doesn't bother me much, because I don't care much about that movie, but I'd be angry if someone black played Batman, Superman, Iron Man etc. To me it's like somebody white played Storm (an X-man) or Cyborg. Their race isn't as important as in the case of Luke Cage or Black Panther, but it's one of their most recognisable traits.

For some reason, Nick Fury works. He was a stereotype of a soldier, not much of a distinct character maybe. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Did you actually think Andersen's ghost from the 19th century came back to write and direct an animated movie-version of his story? Have you actually seen the movie? Did you notice Ariel's father being called Triton, which is a reference to Greek mythology? Ruler of the kingdom of Atlantica? The movie was written to be free from any cultural and historical context. Ariel is a half human, half fish mythological being that falls in love with a human. So Batman not being defined by the color of his hair, eyes or his nose shape is absolutely equivalent to Ariel not being defined by the pigmentation of her skin. I am honestly baffled this is such a hard to grasp concept. I think we will have to agree to disagree.