1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

KPOP?!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by FTI, Jun 19, 2019.

1. FTI

FTI Fapstronaut

Assalaamu 'alaikum, everyone. There is something I want to ask your opinion about: What do you think of KPOP? For me, it's hypersexualised due to all the provocative movements and tight or minimal clothing used. In addition, to meet the messed up beauty standards of the public, contracts require KPOP artists to live an extremely regulated and overworked life. This is an obvious fact due to the numerous stars in recent years who've come forward about it (I only read, I don't follow any KPOP stars; I'm not into it) and the various clips of them publicly fainting or vomiting on stage. All in all, KPOP isn't so great in my opinion as it leads the masses into objectification of standards whilst they remain oblivious to it.

I'm asking because in my school, majority of students love KPOP. Do you think that this itself is a problematic situation? I mean, the only two of my friends out of the people I've discussed PMO with who've actually stopped, express similar ideas to mine. Don't forget, the nature of many of the songs, that are love-oriented which creates a distorted view of love as well because pop music lyrics aren't so great at delivering reality and advice on that topic. You know what I mean. All in all, I'm curious to know your side of the coin. Agree? Disagree? Maybe something else?

BrighterFuture and EternalDreams like this.
  2. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

As we say in America, if you don't like it, don't watch/listen to it.

Gina3111_marriedToGod and FTI like this.
  3. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I do not watch it so I do not care.

4. Step-One

Step-One Fapstronaut

I love it (been a fan for over a decade), but gonna have to cut back because it can trigger me.

GigglingTrout and FTI like this.
  5. Fillage

Fillage Fapstronaut

I don't care what they do if they don't kill ppl as it's in North Korea ...

6. not a fan because of the overall toxically positive and uncreative vibe
    the industry sucks too so
    though I can't deny some k-pop stars are very talented

7. Lizards Mousqette

Lizards Mousqette Fapstronaut

They are banning it in China because it makes the men soft and weak. Too bad— I guess China will never experience how wonderful it is to live in a progressive society where you can pretend to be a diaper baby at 35 as part of a sexual fetish! :)

8. kpop is totally shit ... i hope eminem and tech9 release a diss track on them , hip hop will munch and poop them out.

9. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Only BTS music. They're some grand kind of bluegrass-like music. My favourite. But I love their fans more. They're good. Very good.

10. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

wa alaikumassalama, It's one those strange things you find on the internet, give it time, it will disappear eventually

11. iamShinra

iamShinra Fapstronaut

KPOP = CRINGE. PROVE ME WRONG!!

12. k-pop = Chad masculinity

GigglingTrout likes this.
  13. DaManYes

DaManYes Fapstronaut

dude my bro ur just hitting the tip of an iceberg right there
    Dem k-pop or whatever you call them are only slaves to the money people just like all the other famous singer,s just like all dem famous people and politicians.

yo yo, u still have a lot of catching up to do

14. Honestly, the way some of yall hate on kpop is absolutely shitty and pathetic. I've been a seasoned fan for 8 years, before the bts fad, a little bit after gangnam style fad. I can love the genre because I have dedicated a lot of my time to understanding its culture and its market academically because I genuinely find it interesting. This means I know about the good and the bad. Let me address your opinion point by point.

Hypersexualization - Hypersexualization is everywhere. Latin music, Backstreet Boys, One Direction, Lady Gaga, Rap music. Sex is very repressed in South Korea so they have to allude to it through imagery and lyrical wordplay in lyrics and music videos. As for clothing, not too different from what I see in the west, but still very repressed. Females wear underpants or sports pants under the dresses or main pants so that a single buttcheek does not show. The west has everybody with everything hanging out. The hypersexualization is in both places, just looks different, choose your poison.

Beauty Standards - Don't play with me. You know beauty standards in the west are crazy. Everybody uses an instagram filter and no one knows what these girls' faces even look like anymore. Victoria's Secret and Miss Universe love their thin women and these women will keep starving or dieting or staying fit to get into these places and the higher echelons of society. This lizzo fad has an expiring date because rappers, singers and movies still have thin, fit women as the main centerpieces. South Korea is everything I just mentioned minus the fat girl fad. Their bodies are different and their beauty standards have adapted to match that : Face type, features, hip line, body line, thigh thickness, same like every other damn place. The difference is that they are admitting it to your face.

Contracts : You think these idol kids are stupid? Ever since HOT and TVXQ in south korea, every idol trainee knows what they are heading into. The fame, the money, the adoring fans, the music they love, the ability to provide for their family and buy them houses and cars (filial piety is very prevalent), you name it, in exchange for a 7 year contract. You think the west is any better? Look at the cash money records mess with Lil wayne and Tyga. These artists get no sleep either, profit distribution issues, promotion issues, it's all the same. One country has an idol system and the other doesn't, that's the difference.

Lyrics - Like I said, repressed. They have to talk about love or something else, and if it's sex, it has to be disguised. That's the name of the game. Are the lyrics distorted? They're pretty normal, and pretty great if a quality artist is writing them. Even love songs can be clever : Twice " Likey" , a song about a guy liking a girl's post and her having to cater to the perfect social media image, and how much they have to agonize over it. Bigbang has Bae Bae, a song about the stages of love, from youth into maturity. Mino has a song about him lusting for another man's woman, when he is nothing but a dog himself. The messages they have to sell can de deceptively shallow, because they are sometimes hiding deep meanings. In addition, the korean language tends to be poetic in the way it expresses love and pain (hence the concept of han); japanese too.

Conclusion - You said "I only read, I don't follow any KPOP stars; I'm not into it". I can tell you're not into it because you know nothing about it. You don't even know why deep down, psychologically, the idol product resonates with your age group and older, and it goes way beyond simple crushes. You can't talk about it intellectually because you haven't even bothered to get to know it. I'm not even telling you to like it. You and many here are just talking shit without knowing anything about the subject matter. You don't know shit, but you still have to have an opinion, huh??????

That being said, if you have genuine, honest questions about the genre, I'm happy to answer. I've seen enough good and enough bad to know why I like it, what I don't like about it, and where this might go in the future. (I think the fad will calm down, so far it's just BTS and the true international acts seeing tons of success. The local acts are still on the backburner).

Hadrian3 likes this.