1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

From Catholic to Orthodox

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I believe the Bible and not hippies.

2. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

How is God having unconditional love make him any less mighty? All your doing is throwing insults rather then giving valid theological arguments for your view of God's nature.

3. miXhal

miXhal Fapstronaut

Hello, brother! Let me just clarify, that Bible DOES indeed say that God loves everyone. John 3:16, for example, but there are many more examples.
    Now, that isn´t this "God loves all so we don´t need to evangelize anyone" approach. Don´t be mistaken.

4. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

excellent exegesis youve done there. smh

5. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Professed Christians are as wacky as unbelievers.

6. We think so loved the word means so loved his sheep. not his goats

7. miXhal

miXhal Fapstronaut

Would you be so kind and share which ones do you mean?
    What makes you think that? Have you read for example his sermons or overall know what he´s really doing?

8. miXhal

miXhal Fapstronaut

You have the opportunity to do it better then. I´d love to hear that.

9. SolitaryScribe

I disagree. I think what makes us sheeps or goats isn't dependent on how God loves us, it's dependent on how we live our lives. God doesn't ever force anyone to love him back or live with him, this is completely our own choice. If we choose to accept his love, then we become sheep and he becomes our shepherd and knows us. If we reject his love, then we do not know him and do not know his voice.

I understand this view is staunchly against the Calvinistic view on predestination, so this is probably where we'll disagree on many things :p

miXhal and Mr. McMarty like this.
  10. ultrafabber

ultrafabber Fapstronaut

What he wrote there is definitely unrelated to Orthodoxy (referring to #1). Orthodoxy makes is quite clear there are consequences for your sins.

Catholicism though, as far as i know, has a more laxed attitude to sins. Other denominations even more so. (sadly)

This (#1) is sadly a view that gets way more common in Christianity nowadays, one that dilutes it's meaning and rots it's core.

God is not all benevolent, the fantasy that He is is a very recent trend driven by society and consequently this is what drove society in the decadent pit it is now - being complacent and not respecting God.

While God/Jesus can definitely forgive any sin, that doesn't mean one can go and sin and not care. There will very, very, very likely be consequences. And the consequences are there as a sign of love also.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  11. SolitaryScribe

Yes, sin does come with consequences, this was never a debatable issue. The issue is the thought that living a sinful life can cause God to love you less or even hate you. Which is outright heresy.

If one doesn't understand what sin is, they will not understand how it relates to our spiritual health and relationship with God. The consequence of sin is ultimately death... It's a disease that slowly kills you. It is sin that kills you, not God. It causes you to become more and more imperfect and disfigures your image, making you less and less the image of God. God hates sin, but he does not hate the sinner. God is trying to save the sinner from the slow poison that is sin.

12. ultrafabber

ultrafabber Fapstronaut

This train of thought suggests the complete opposite

And like i said, it's getting increasingly more common in mainstream Christianity.

When people believe you can't "get good" with God, they start slacking and stop fearing God. And the view that this is all eternal also pushes people to stop worrying about their sins, as they think there will always be next time. The sense of urgency and gravity to stop sinning becomes completely lost and irrelevant.

It's like treating God as a welfare state where you will always be catered for.

Future role model likes this.
  13. This is exactly where I'm stuck at. I have to improve my relationship with God, but I always keep delaying it. I'm always like "Oh, I can do it tomorrow, He will still love me."

ultrafabber and dwarfstruggles like this.
  14. many will cry out lord lord and i will say i never knew you....dontbe fooled brother

Future role model likes this.
  15. Of course, he will still love you. The question he's really interested in having an answer to is: When will *you* start to love *him*?

It's not like eating vegetables -- something you do because you know it's good for you even though you don't like it. Knowing God is the grandest adventure possible in this life. The journey can begin today if you want. Or you can put it off in pursuit of some lesser good. And, eventually, if lesser goods are all you crave, you will lose your taste for the greater and never desire to pursue it.

God waits for you with open arms and calls out to you today. There very well may come a day when you can no longer respond to his cries.

Why wait?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    miXhal and Future role model like this.
  16. Parable of the Ten Virgins
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigation Jump to search
    [​IMG]
    The Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins (1822) by William Blake, Tate Gallery.
    [​IMG]
    The Parable of the Ten Virgins (section) by Phoebe Traquair, Mansfield Traquair Church, Edinburgh.
    The Parable of the Ten Virgins, also known as the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins or the Parable of the ten bridesmaids,[1] is one of the well known parables of Jesus. According to the Gospel of Matthew 25:1-13, the five virgins who are prepared for the bridegroom's arrival are rewarded, while the five who are not prepared are disowned. The parable has a clear eschatological theme: be prepared for the Day of Judgment.[2] It was one of the most popular parables in the Middle Ages, with enormous influence on Gothic art, sculpture and the architecture of German and French cathedrals.

17. SolitaryScribe

Don't be a foolish virgin. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

18. A helpful clarification. I amended my original comment to reflect it. Thanks!

19. And that's why you're a heretic. There was no opposition between faith and works until the Protestant Deformers invented it. The Epistle of St. James flatly contradicts the teachings of your heresiarch Calvin.

The Orthodox Church has never taught that one can somehow buy the Lord's love and mercy. Only a Protestant could imagine that one would need to.

The Orthodox Church has always taught that Christians must use their divine gift of free will to work together in synergy with God, in order than He might make us through grace what He is by nature.

If all God had wanted was slaves who could not freely choose Him, then the Incarnation, Crucifixion, and Resurrection, indeed the whole human adventure of salvation would have been completely unnecessary.

Your understanding of Orthodoxy (and Catholicism, I've no doubt) is clearly limited to what would allow you build a straw man.

And by the way, if God has settled the matter of your predestined salvation no matter what you do, why on earth do you bother with NoFap? Moral behaviour is irrelevant to the already saved.

20. Yikes! Come on over to the Protestant Group and lob some grenades. We like this kind of stuff. Your welcome anytime.

SolitaryScribe likes this.