1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

From Catholic to Orthodox

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Nope, not sure who told you this but that's not what Catholics or Orthodox believe. I don't want to get into a long dreaded debate so I'll summarize it the best I can. There are 2 main principles we believe in regards to salvation.

1: God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Which means he loves his creation regardless of what we do. There is nothing we can do that can change God's love towards us. Getting "good" with God is not a concept that exists in our church.

2: Salvation is not a single moment in time, or an event. It is a living continuous process that exists for eternity. Orthodoxy teaches that the church sets up a life style for Christians to live in such a way that it prepares them to live in eternity in the presence of God and how to enjoy that presence. We live this lifestyle through continuous 'matonia' which is Greek for repentance or rather changing of heart and mind. As faulty humans we are inclined to sin, but through grace and our willingness to cooperate with grace, we are slowly changed and become more and more like Christ. Our ultimate goal isn't to get good with God and chill on clouds up in heaven sipping on cool-aid, No but rather it is to become united in Christ and become one with God. This process takes eternity.

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. John 17:3

Deleted Account and Mr. McMarty like this.
  2. Can we be like god eventualy?

3. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Bunch of balderdash and NOT the Gospel; this is why I'm not either orthodox or catholic.

Loving his creation no matter what they do. ?!!! You are not talking about the Almighty God, the God of the Bible.

If it doesn't matter what I do I may as well be Buddhist or whatever else. God isn't the author of confusion and you posted
    a bunch of stuff that isn't logical at all.

4. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

You may as well just play Golf on Sunday if you don't go to a Gospel preaching church because no one will be saved apart from the truth of the Gospel; doesn't matter if that church uses Christian terms, references Jesus. It is just as heretic as any other non-Gospel religion.

*disclaimer; should've wrote this a long time ago. If you're easily hurt/butthurt arguing Christian subjects, do not argue with me. I don't get bothered, but I've went at it with Christians on various Christian topics and when they can't win they almost always take it personal.

5. I have a big mouth and im sensitive. so i have the best/worst of both worlds

6. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

You're definitely one of the most empathetic Calvinists I've ever come across. You shoulda seen me in my "cage stage"; holy crap.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  7. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

It's like a few years back when someone on the Grace To You blog on John Macarthur's website wanted to argue with me that drinking was forbidden in the Bible.

I had to take my Sword out of my scabbard and I got to chopping heads; people couldn't handle it. Once their arguments went to dust they started playing the victim and started begging for me to be empathetic when they were the ones that started off as arrogant religious blowharded pricks to begin with.

8. John Macarthur is awsome and he shows no mercy! yes trying to move past my god kills and he likes it stage.

9. SolitaryScribe

We become true images of him. As in we become more loving, humble, meek, self sacrificing... etc. Can you imagine an intense love that is unconditional and eternal. This is a love that is only a property of God, however he allows us to partake of it that we also may enjoy it with him in eternity.

10. :emoji_bow:

11. SolitaryScribe

What we do does not change how God loves us, what we do affects only us, it either harms us or makes us better. God doesn't change, his love doesn't change. If he changed, then he would not be perfect, if god was susceptible to changing how he loves us, his love would not be perfect and it would not be unconditional. We aren't muslims, we don't believe in a God who hates some and loves others.

Your issue is your viewing the bible by your own understand and logic. You're reading the bible at face value and as if it is a book written in the 21st century, so your coming out with your own understanding of who God is, which strays from how the apostles and early Christians saw who God is.

Deleted Account and miXhal like this.
  12. Romans 9:13 13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

Malachi 1:3 3but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his hill country into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals."

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  13. What does God hate, you ask? Solomon answers the question in the Book of Proverbs. We read: “These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren” (Proverbs 6:16-19).

14. SolitaryScribe

LOL I know you were going to pull that one on me.

Did God really hate Esau?. And if so then how could God be called love in the new testament while at the same time hating someone? 'God is love'.: John 4:8

How can we reconcile these two versus? Either there is something else meant what God says Jacob I loved, but Esau I Hated. From what we know in the bible, Esau was a hard man who's heart was far from God. Jacob loved God and lived his life in accordance with God's love. Does this mean though that one person persuaded God to love him while the other persuaded God to hate him? If this is the case then God does not have unconditional love and is susceptible to change. Or is it merely the author's way to express how this characters relationship is to God by using such extreme polar-opposite language?

If we pull the full verse from john 4:8 it reads "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love".: John 4:8

If Esau did not love, he does not know God. When it is written that "Esau I hated", this was a description of Esau's relationship towards God, that he didn't know God and was far from him and far from love.

We see this type of language used many times in the bible, take for example: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.

You see the old testament is full of versus that if taken at face value, make God seem like a petty jealous bully, and it quite contradicts his own nature and what is revealed to us in the new testament. However in the light of the church and the church fathers, and even the Jewish traditions, we can get a proper understanding about what it written and the gospels.

Deleted Account and miXhal like this.
  15. SolitaryScribe

Yes I agree, God hates these things because they are sins. But that doesn't mean God hates those who fall in those sins. If that were the case, Christ would have never come to redeem us. God wants to change us, he wants us to turn away from sin, although none of us are righteous, not even one, yet he still loves us enough to be taken up on the cross for us.

16. NO I agree, but i do see god as more judgemental and angry towards the unrighteous. we can cherry pick verses i guess hahaha

17. he only came to redeem some of us brother and his work was perfect not partial like yall Arminians think LOL

18. SolitaryScribe

If you're ever bored and want to read something new, I recommend an amazing book. Can a Loving God be Wrathful by Anthony M Coniaris. It's an orthodox perspective so you're protestant ears might tingle a bit, but I think you'll still enjoy it none the less. It's always good to see things from a different perspective :p

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  19. MrAssasin

MrAssasin Fapstronaut

I advise everyone to read the books of Maria Blavatsky.

dwarfstruggles and Mr. McMarty like this.
  20. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

The god you worship isn't Mighty and is not God. There are clearly conditions for God's love. You're just describing some hippie Cuck that just loves everyone all the time.