1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to help a suicidal friend?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, Jun 19, 2019.

1. My friend has been depressed due to hard times since past few years.

Things escalated recently and now he is considering suicide. He has also bought a gun.

How do I help him? I only know him from a forum like this one, plus he is based in the USA, while I am based in Asia.

So I don't have his number, email, address, real name or know anyone in his family.

Also it seems like I don't have a lot of time to help, maybe a couple of days, or best case scenario, one week.

Please help.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. I've struggled with depression/suicide in the past. Honestly, your best bet is to somehow find his address and call 911. Let them know he has a gun and is suicidal. Maybe you can give them his forum name and they can take it from there. I would just call them and maybe they can give you advice?

3. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Give him a suicide hotline number. I think some suicide hotline sites also offer online chat.

Deleted Account and FTI like this.
  4. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I don't follow. He's a friend, but you know nothing about him? You don't know how he looks, who he actually is, you know a persona that he portrays on forums and nothing more. How do you know he bought a gun? To me it sounds more like an acquaintance that you made online and somehow you got influenced.

I believe your friend might have people around that may know or may identify that he's in trouble. Why do you feel like helping someone you know absolutely nothing about, apart from his online avatar on a forum? To me it just doesn't make sense...

You may say because you are kind, but I don't understand why not help someone closer to you, that you can actually see their progress and/or take better care of them. Apart from what @Hros has said, to give him a suicide hotline number, I'd recommend to not get involved.

5. FTI

FTI Fapstronaut

Report to NoFap moderators as they have mentioned in their forum manual or something. They might handle it more professionally due to their wealth of experiences.

6. I always give this number to anyone who is having a tough time ,

Call this number its free and confidential
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    Provides help to those in suicidal crisis or emotional distress.
    Call 1-800-273-8255
    Available 24 hours everyday

Deleted Account and FTI like this.