1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Karate practitioners here?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by CyKage2652, Jun 14, 2019.

1. CyKage2652

CyKage2652 Fapstronaut

I was struggling with a 8 month long FAP STREAK until this May , which happened after I completed many 50+ days streaks.
    Now , I am on 32nd day of Nofap.
    I have recently started practicing Karate at home as a part of improving myself. I found a work out plan on the internet called 30 DAYS BRUCE LEE WORKOUT CHALLENGE .
    A bit of background story first before I start asking questions:
    I used to practice in a Karate club 5-6 years ago and didnt appear in any exams so I didnt have a belt.
    I learnt the Mae Geri , Mawashi Geri and the Yuko Geri in that club . And thats the extent of my Karate journey back then. I quit after a few classes because I lost a fight to a guy I thought was not strong enough to beat me. (He still didnt score a point but punched and kicked me in every way he could to get a point. I blocked those somehow but later my bones hurt like hell and they also swelled here and there.)
    I tried to practice those kicks to some extents after I quit. So , I havent lost all of it.
    Now my questions are -
    1) Will kicking in the air at home actually help me develop my skills? Or should I use a punching bag?
    2) I feel like my form becomes sloppy after 50+ kicks. What should I do?
    3) I only practice 1 type of kick and thats Mawashi Geri. Because I heard that perfecting 1 kick to expert level is enough to win a fight. Should I try different kicks every day?
    4) I only do straight punches in the air. Should I use a punching bag for this?
    5) How do I become faster? Earlier this year a martial arts guy from a different discipline kicked me (I wanted to see his speed) and I DIDNT SEE A THING!
    6) How do karate students block and attack at the same time? From a recent exp I noticed that I cant do both. Either I am defending or attacking during the entire fight. And that causes a lot of pain either way ... :(
    7) Can I become a better karate fighter if I only practice at home like this?

The challenge that I talked about earlier -
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/61/02/d2610223f4e79f2c794d6e2804da432b.jpg
    (I dont know If this link is allowed . If not , sorry )

2. Amphibian

Amphibian Fapstronaut

Just do BJJ dude.

CyKage2652 likes this.
  3. 1) Will kicking in the air at home actually help me develop my skills? Or should I use a punching bag?
    Kicking the air could help you correct your form, but it wont provide any resistance. If you want to develop kick power then you must kick a bag.

2) I feel like my form becomes sloppy after 50+ kicks. What should I do?
    If you mean 50 consecutive kicks, then it's just you getting tired. You should train your stamina to last longer.

3) I only practice 1 type of kick and thats Mawashi Geri. Because I heard that perfecting 1 kick to expert level is enough to win a fight. Should I try different kicks every day?
    It's better to learn a few more kicks to help you in all situations. Example: knees for close combat, side kicks for range, etc (note: I practice boxing and BJJ not karate so I don't know much about kicks). In my opinion, I don't think kicks would be effective in a street fight (if that's what you mean) unless they are completely mastered. It's too much of a risk having a leg caught or even tripping as it would give your opponent the upper hand of the fight.

4) I only do straight punches in the air. Should I use a punching bag for this?
    Again, striking the air will help you correct your form but to build punching power, you have to hit a bag.

5) How do I become faster? Earlier this year a martial arts guy from a different discipline kicked me (I wanted to see his speed) and I DIDNT SEE A THING!
    Train your speed. Punch/kick the bag as fast as you can (with power of course) and shadow box as fast as you can. But before you do this, make sure you correct your form or else you might injure yourself badly (I speak from experience).

6) How do karate students block and attack at the same time? From a recent exp I noticed that I cant do both. Either I am defending or attacking during the entire fight. And that causes a lot of pain either way ... :(
    You have to be calm during a fight and wait or create opportunities to strike.

7) Can I become a better karate fighter if I only practice at home like this?
    You're skills would likely improve, but if you want the best results possible, I recommend taking lessons because at home, you will not have a master mentoring you and constantly correcting your form.

CyKage2652 and Hros like this.
  4. CyKage2652

CyKage2652 Fapstronaut

its on my list . But karate first
    :)

5. CyKage2652

CyKage2652 Fapstronaut

thank you very much. I really needed that.