1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Depression, the original disorder

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Deleted Account, Jun 4, 2019.

1. It seems to me that any and all addictions develop as an alternative strategy to dealing with the shitty hand life has given us. rather than identify what positive changes we can make to our behavior and character we self-medicate depressive cycles with various temporary fixes. it seems therefore that many of our problems can be solved indirectly by attacking the original source, which is the pain we are trying not to feel.

how limited is this simplistic sounding solution? or is it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    Kiz Whalifa and Freedom_from_PMO like this.
  2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I agree with the basic concept, but problems will never completely go away, meaning that once we're addicted to a fake solution, if we don't deal with the addiction itself along with the deeper issues, once we're faced with some more adversity - we'll almost instinctively turn right back to the fake solution.

Kiz Whalifa likes this.
  3. growing resiliance then is important to do as well then

4. Chicken or egg scenario if you ask me. Addictions will consume so much of the addict's serotonin and other natural anti-depressants found in the nervous system that diseases like depression become almost logical.