1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Career advice!?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hey everyone, I’m a 17 year old fapstronaut that has a year before going off to college. It’s about time for me to start thinking about what direction I want my life to head in, what major I want, etc.

I’m very passionate about music. I play many instruments ( not all well, but I’m pretty good at the guitar) but am very involved in my school music program. I think I would enjoy a career as a professional, performing musician, but like most people the thought of that is terrifying, because music is very hit or miss, and it’s difficult to make a sustainable income if you’re not a super talented popular musician.

Not to toot my own horn but I’m relatively smart and could truly get a degree in something generic and land a good job at some 9 to 5. I hate the idea of a 9-5. I’ve considered real estate, either investing or selling as an agent, but I think I would get sick of it. Maybe not investing, but definitely being an agent. Basically I would get sick of something that eats up my time and is very mundane. I like to travel, I like to see the world, and I like to have time to spend on things that are valuable to me, like music and family.

I know it sounds like my dream job is unrealistic. I just know that I would hate a traditional 9-5 where I’m stuck in one place for my whole career. I want to be able to live and see the world, and still live with enough money to take care of myself. What are your thoughts on my career aspirations? About music? What would you do in my shoes? How can I search for the perfect career for me?

2. there's a huge pilot shortage right now. if you want a cool job that lets you travel with tons of days off then you might wanna think about it. some regional airlines are paying 60k with a 10k signing bonus + insane benefits (health insurance and free stand-by flying with the airline). pay is based on seniority, so you'll only make more as you upgrade to bigger planes and longer routes. I met a pilot at my base airport last year who is a 33 year veteran of Delta airlines -- he makes 500k a year, and only works 7-9 days a month.

if airlines aren't your thing, there are plenty of other high paying, non 9-5 jobs in aviation. fire fighting, aero medical, cargo, corporate, crop dusting -- it's a huge world, and right now there's a lot of opportunity out there. I had 2 job offers before I even graduated

granted, flight school is expensive, and you won't be able to get an airline job until you have at least 1,250-1,500 flight hours and an Airline Transport Pilot rating, but its 100% worth the grind.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Nope, I'm a musician and I have worked and recorded with studio muscians. Do music on the side if its your passion but the guys that get hired to do studio work were pros when they were your age. Get a degree in something that will make you money and do music on the side.

4. I'm seventeen also, and I've decided that I want to get into information technology, I've always been very good when it comes to the computer, it's my passion. I agree with @Mr. McMarty in that you should definitely do music on the side, that way you get to do something that you're very passionate about, but then you can also potentially have a more stable income on top of it.

If for instance I discovered there was something else that I wanted to do professionally instead, does that mean I would throw my passion for computers out the window? No, I'd just continue doing it on the side instead. The same applies here.

Do what you think is right, don't let someone else make that decision for you. Only you know you, and at the end of the day the only person that's going to have to live the life you create is you.

5. koolpal

koolpal Fapstronaut

Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering... Navy Fighter Pilot... Navy Band... NASA... Become a fapstronaut astronaut... Just some ideas.

6. Thank you for this man!
    I’ve never even considered the possibility of flight school... the idea of flying for a living is honestly pretty cool. I love that. I’m gonna have to do some research when I get home to see if it’s right for me.
    Thanks again!

7. Haha thanks man!
    There’s been lots of suggestions to consider something involving aircraft. I’m gonna have to check it out! Thanks bro

koolpal likes this.
  8. Thanks man... this is dope.
    I think I’ve always viewed it as whatever I choose as a career must fall into my criteria for being a hobby as well, and it just doesn’t work like that.
    I think I need to spend some time with myself and really look into what interests me besides music. There might be something out there which I like even more, and I haven’t even found it yet.

Thanks again bro

9. Yeah.... haha
    I don’t think it’s ever too late to “make it” in music, but it’s still super unlikely. I think I’ve definitely decided it’s gonna have to be my side gig and I need to find something else full time.
    Thanks for the response!

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  10. TrueEarl

TrueEarl Fapstronaut

I have an advice for you as a beginner in work life. If to be realistic, I wouldn't choose a musician life because it cannot bring money for a long time. But now it is different, you live in the modern world, you can make relationships that can help to achieve your music goals. If you are passionate about music, moreover, if you know how to play different instruments, it can be a good opportunity for you to make money. I love my career in the IT domain and make it with love and thanks to my friends that offered me this blog computercareers.org which helped me to chose my favorite job.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021