1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is being straight edge relevant to NoFap?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 25, 2019.

1. I would expect that the NoFap lifestyle would attract a decent amount of hardcore kids considering the fact it offers control of oneself sexually and is about removing addiction.

This site tends to also get commingled (misunderstood?) as conservative in a similar way to straight edge? I think they share a lot in common...What do you think?

2. Keys2TheCastle

Keys2TheCastle Fapstronaut

I think that NoFap and Straight Edge (sXe) go hand in hand with the common idea that one is abstaining from a certain activity or indulgence for various reasons (self-improvement, beating possible addiction). I think that the only thing I could discern from them is that the sXe movement has more to do with critiquing societal values or attitudes towards things like drug use or alcohol use being seen as a normal thing, while NoFap is less focused on society as a whole, instead considering things in a more introspective way ("What can I do to improve?" rather than "What can society do to improve? Why advertise something possibly destructive?").

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the original 80s ethos for the sXe community (Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits) included no promiscuous sexual activity, so perhaps the two groups can work in tandem with one another when taking that into account.

3. I totally agree! I think though that NoFap will create the same friction whether you consider it introspectively or not. Even passive resistance is resistance, hence the misunderstanding in the greater society. It's why I feel they are similar. But like you mention hugely different in their approach and ultimate goals. Allies for personal improvement for sure.

For sure. However again I'm not sure NoFap is interested in lowering promiscuity....I wonder if anyone has created a sXe group?

@StraightEdge3616 I'm dying to hear your thoughts on this.

4. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I was puzzled by this phrase, "straight edge", :confused: so I looked it up. Much to my surprise, I am a straight edge hahaha! :p

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. @Max Fisher thanks for thinking of me.

So basically, I'm not an actual "straight edge" member. I've mentioned this a lot before regarding my username but I'll explain it again. I grew up watching professional wrestling and this guy in my avatar is named CM Punk. In real life he identifies as being straight edge and had a gimmick at one point in wrestling portraying this side of his life.

I loved this and can connect with it all because I actually hold a lot of things in common with the straight edge lifestyle. I've never drank alcohol, never smoked, grew up in a conservative family/lifestyle, taught not to swear or have sex before marriage, etc. Exercise was always important to me and I started eating pretty clean/healthy. I don't eat lots of sweets, drink lots of water, etc. So again I'm not an actual straight edge member but I latched on to the idea because I can really identify with it. But at the same time, that's what drives me even more nuts in regards to this PMO addiction. I can easily cut out bad behaviors in my life because I realize it harms me and my body but for some reason I struggle with getting rid of this one.

So I guess you can say in a lot of ways I follow the straight edge lifestyle without being an actual "member", if that makes sense. But if all these reasons make me "straight edge" I guess I am, lol.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    recon117 and Deleted Account like this.
  6. Nice. I was unaware of that connection. Do you still watch wrestling? Growing up I was a Sting fan in the WCW. Every 6 months or so I go watch local indy wrestling and it's a blast.

7. What's this?
    Idk i'm confused by this whole post if im being honest

8. This isnt a dig towards you but you just described being straihht edge but you said you arent. This whole tread got me mad confused on the downlow if I'm being honest

9. Is living a straight edge, abstinent lifestyle relevant to NoFap? Do the two communities share values? Are they similarly misunderstood as too conservative in the mainstream?

These were the questions I was meaning to discuss.

10. You can be "straight edge" without identifying with the subculture or the music. A 45 year old Mormon from Salt Lake City with 6 kids comes to mind. Being straight edge isnt just not doing drugs, drinking, smoking or avoiding promiscuous sex it's also a sub culture within punk rock and hardcore music which people maybe or may not identify with.

11. I'm straight edge. I'd love to be bent edge but have no friends to do drugs and sex with.
    Kill me as fast as possible please.

12. Do you use the term kids to describe thos e in that group? When I was in that age bracket I use the term kids to describe my peers. Lol.

13. If I catch a wild specimen born back in '94 or earlier we chat about the olden days, implying that the term pensioner would be more appropriate. Everyone below 22 is a toddler imo.