1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your religion, Nofap?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

Tags:

What's your religious affiliation?

1. None

25.6%
  2. Catholicism

16.7%
  3. Orthodoxy & Oriental Churches

6.7%
  4. Protestantism

20.0%
  5. Sunnism

18.9%
  6. Shi'ism

1.1%
  7. Hinduism

3.3%
  8. Judaism

3.3%
  9. Buddhism

2.2%
  10. Folk religion

2.2%
  1. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

Huh, that's interesting! Then why do you want to call yourself a Christian? [​IMG] For a while I actually had trouble doing so, as I was ashamed of some of my fellow Christians. But then I realised that if I would openly call myself Christian, I could change people's stereotypes. [​IMG]

onceaking likes this.
  2. Freedom_from_PMO

Freedom_from_PMO Fapstronaut

Roman catholic reporting in. I am traditionalist when it comes to practice, that is I prefer pre-Vatican II latin liturgy. I have some interest in theology.

Souvent08 and SolitaryScribe like this.
  3. Freedom_from_PMO

Hey, could you elaborate? It sounds a bit like gnosticism (this is not offence, jusy observation).

4. Wankeroni

Wankeroni Fapstronaut

Hinduism isn't actually an 'ism, there's no set ways to be a Hindu. Hindu is just a geographical identity for people who are from the land between the Himalayas and the Indian Ocean given to us by the Mogul Empire.

5. Freedom_from_PMO

Both meaning are valid, but Hinduism has lots of various and very different sects.

Wankeroni likes this.
  6. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I think it's because I was brought up a Christian and my parents would be upset if I told I weren't. I also love the Bible, like some Christian authors and most of time believe in the Gods.

7. Souvent08

Souvent08 Fapstronaut

It’s interesting to read the comments. Religion is such a touchy subject and Im glad it can be talked about without much negativity. Im a person who grew up catholic and then questioned it. There is some doubt still but without it I would not be who I am today. I find so much peace and strength in it. I hope that whatever you people believe in brings you that. Of course there are some not so positive things about my religion. Just believing in something greater than ourselves is something so human and so important.

8. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Tibetan Buddhism is the one formal affiliation I have, though I have been exposed to many wisdom traditions that I also appreciate. What I like about vajrayana is it is very systematic so that appeals to me on a practical/practice level even if it may be challenging. The idea of skillful means is like the symbolism of a diamond or thunderbolt.

9. everybody knows we should be better than we tend to be

10. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

I would say you are only a Christian if you (try to) follow Christ. It's in the word. However, I am Dutch, and it is entirely possible that the term somehow has a broader meaning in English.

onceaking likes this.
  11. I was an agnostic atheist and became Christian, when I picked up the Bible. This happened not because the content of the Bible was so convincing to my intellect, but because the God of the Bible made Himself known to me, the second I picked up His "phone".

As a result I was ready to try various prayers, and He answered them, even the most impossible one I could ever think of, which by no means could be explained as "coincidence".

Our Lord intervened numerous times into my old heathen life to set things right or save my life. He helped me to discover the truth about my early childhood as well (a very dark episode).

When I finally submitted my complete life to Jesus, not only did He start me on my longest NoFap streak ever, He started reforming my entire existence. All I have to do is to listen to His will and stop doing the stupid stuff, which is my own idea.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
  12. "Love is my religion" -Ziggy Marley :):emoji_heart:

onceaking likes this.
  13. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

You might be right... But at times I'm not all that sure about Jesus. I'm planning to read The Universal Christ and that might make me like Jesus. Some of the Christians I like to hang out with think Jesus is far more important than everyone else in the Bible. They seem to think the rest of the Bible doesn't matter. I think there's value the stories that don't involve, Jesus is important but so are the other stories. Another question would be what does it mean to follow Jesus? We might say obey his teachings but what if we've misunderstood his teachings. I'll send you a video of a lecture I recently a watched that makes a good case about how we've misunderstood a particular part of the Sermon on the Mount.

14. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

It's interesting that Sunnism/Shi'ism and Catholic/Protestism/Orthodoxy all have their separate places in the poll but Judiasim is just option. There's more than one type of Judaism.

He had Judiasim.

kropo82 likes this.
  15. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Huh. That is interesting, and I say this as a Jew. Never thought of it before.
    Edit: Now I'm wondering if it's because Jews are considered a nation, while Muslims and Christians aren't (as far as I'm aware).

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  16. shiasm was invented by a jew
    Abdullah Bin Saba'

17. Souvent08

Souvent08 Fapstronaut

Awesome! Thanks for sharing

18. My religion wasn’t there either, I’m a fox newist.

19. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    ChurchofJesusChrist.org

This is a Christian religion, restored by prophets in recent times. We are neither 'Catholic' nor 'Protestant' and believe in the Bible where translated correctly and also additional scriptures revealed. (Sometimes, members of this church are referred to as "Mormons".)

need4realchg likes this.
  20. i think my parents follow that religion. they arent really devout though in the sense that they've grown used to me being a Muslim

need4realchg likes this.