1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Tired of being a nihilist

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 6, 2019.

1. These conversations are why we need more philosophy and theology classes taught in school.

SuperFan likes this.
  2. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

I'll leave you with this quote from my hero C.S. Lewis:

“If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.”
    I'm going to assume that you think your original post here was meaningful ... otherwise you wouldn't have posted it.

You're here in NoFap forums and trying to abstain from PMO because you know you'll get more out of life because of it. But in order to attempt to get more out of life, you have to believe there's something more to get.

If there were no meaning, then meaninglessness wouldn't bring you despair. Hell, if life has no meaning, then eat, drink and be merry; go hog wild, be hedonistic, embrace every pleasure you can find. But those pleasures will only leave you feeling empty.

I may be overstepping here, and if so, I apologize--but I'd suggest your problem isn't that you think life is meaningless. I think it's that you can't seem to determine what the meaning is. The fact that you're even here speaking about your concerns shows me that you think your life is worth saving.

3. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

How is having purpose any different than having meaning?

Both "purpose" and "meaning" are transcendent and almost interchangeable ideas.

This is a bit like saying, "if I have a desire for wealth, I don't need to search for riches." If you have a direction in life that you feel as if you're supposed to be taking (which implies moral conviction--you used the world "should" afterall), then you believe in meaning, even if you claim not to.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. Dont forget, you're sharing a forum with people who mostly rely on propaganda and "trending" perspectives to inform their worldview and I just saw you quote C.S Lewis.

This "moral subjectivism" that they are talking about has already been answered by some of the greatest minds that God has brought into this world, and I'm sure you already know this.

But to see them attempt to articulate their "purpose" (without understanding its relation to meaning), and to see them call it "brilliant," all the while rejecting a vindicated faith because they "dont like people telling them what to do;" this is what you get from an internet chat room.

All I'm saying is that you're using some pretty large concepts. Meet these people where they are at or else they wont understand a thing you're saying.

This woman literally said, "what are you on about" Either she's just being a spiteful atheist (wouldn't be surprised in the least) or she is genuinely confused (still wouldn't be surprised).

I'm curious as to your perspective, have you been able to reap a good harvest here in good faith or are you casting pearls before swine?

5. I "create my own purpose and meaning" by being condescending and insulting. "Nobody knows for sure" whether there is meaning in being condescending, but this is my personal truth, so thank you for the compliment.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Truth is either objective or subjective, depending on which you ask. No one really knows for sure.

need4realchg likes this.
  7. In your words, tell me what is wrong by me saying "my personal truth" in how I used it above.

8. You seem to think my wording doesnt fit. Can you define truth with a sophisticated definition?

9. And can you give me a sophisticated definition of reality?

10. Like I said, it's where I find my purpose and my personal truth. How dare you call me rude for following my purpose.

11. Does it seem odd that I would find purpose from being arrogant and condescending?

Why should I care if you're triggered? There is no rational argument for me to assume that you or your opinion have intrinsic value.

You're trying to put your own subjective values on me, honey. I know my purpose, so bugger off.

12. I'm surprised that you try and speak with any moral conviction when everybody has their own truth.

13. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Both of these are fair comments.

@ChameleoManiac , who knows? But when I see someone making claims that are worth challenging, I consider it an act of service to challenge them--not just for the person making the claim (because our own ideas and opinions should be tested)--but also for those reading along on the sidelines. And while I'm confident that my worldview is aligned with truth, I'm also not arrogant enough to think I have all the answers. The people I challenge may very well teach me something. But I'll never find out unless I press a button or two.

@Brokenman123 isn't off-base to say that your post was condescending. How do you think people will respond when you basically refer to them as simpletons and "swine?" Has anyone's mind ever been changed by that kind of treatment? When you're dismissing people's thoughts and beliefs because they "rely on propaganda", how readily do you think they'll listen to anything you have to share?

In these kinds of philosophical debates, I believe the Christian worldview is right and that opposing views are wrong. But my aim is never to make someone else feel wrong, or to make them feel bad about what they believe, or to put them on the opposite site of some imaginary battlefield where I need to fire all my artillery in their direction. The aim is to ask questions in a way that influences people to ask themselves questions, to stumble upon the truth in their own time. Hell, maybe even phrasing it this way probably makes me sound arrogant--but I think it's a much more valuable approach than telling others how wrong they are.

need4realchg and Deleted Account like this.
  14. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

How far are you willing to run with this philosophy? Are the beliefs of an ISIS solider just as valid as yours? Are the beliefs of a white supremacist just as valid as yours? You begin to see how complicated moral relativism starts to get.

It correlates because there's a reason you want your life to go in a certain direction. If your reason is simply "well, that's just because it's how I feel," then your purpose for life is no more or less valid than someone who chooses to become a suicide bomber. I'm making assumptions here, but I'm going to guess that your sense of purpose for your life has a bigger goal than simply your own personal fulfillment. I would guess that you want to have a positive impact on the world, on the people you care for, on your circles of influence ... but to even talk about something like "a positive impact", you implicitly have to believe in meaning, even if you claim otherwise.

Do you think charity and goodwill toward others is an important value? Without a sense of actual meaning in life, how can you even begin to define or speak of concepts like "good" or "evil?"

15. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Nope. Truth is objective. The end, case closed. Anyone who says "my truth" or "his truth" is using the word incorrectly--they're talking about perception, not truth.

16. Jake Jilg

Jake Jilg Fapstronaut

I'm a hypocritical nihilist as well, because I'm always sucking on the nurturing udder-bag of the welfare and kindness of others.

I can't even write a nihilist poem, without it incidentally becoming an upbeat+happy Weird-Al-binism of Sir Elton John's "Beyond the Yellow Brick Road" for example.

hererasdsfasdf.png

17. I did the same. If there is no purpose/meaning in life I will create my own! :)

18. Exactly. I created my own purpose and meaning :D

19. This has probably already been said but my faith in God assures me that life is not meaninglessness, creation is ordered, and that we as humans are very very valued. I am by no means very christian. I believe in god because 1) it seems more logical for there to be a creator than not, and 2) after observing my thoughts, feelings and emotions my entire life, I conclude that I am a spiritual being and that my experience of life cannot be explained by brain juices.

The fact that there is a god really centres me, and is a source of stability and optimism. I feel no desire to have a personal relationship with God to enjoy my life but many people do. Each to their own.

To a large extent I create meaning for myself but I do not understand how an atheist could do this without the central belief that they are here for a reason. If you believe you came from nothing and will return to nothing and that humanity is just biology then surely you know that any meaning you create for yourself is just a facade and nothing really actually matters?