1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does fasting make you more masculine?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by SuperiorMan95, Apr 17, 2019.

1. SuperiorMan95

SuperiorMan95 Fapstronaut

I've been listening to a lot of Elliott Hulse recently and he's taken a big liking for fasting.

The way he talks about it, I find it to be interesting. He says that our addiction to food is similar to our addiction to sex. He says that it's good for men to fast to restore their masculine detachment and strength. Plus it's great for HGH and test!

I think he's on to something here. I mean we're so addicted to food! And it's such a source of softness in our lives I feel...

He recommends starting with a prolonged fast and then continuing with fasting as a life style. Example: Fast for 5-10 days and then do lifestyle of intermittent fasting.

Has anybody done this kind of prolonged fast before? What was your experience?

2. Lilla_My

Lilla_My Fapstronaut

Fasting in itself lowers testosterone (and estrogen) slightly but, as you say, elevates HGH. So muscle mass will be preserved, but you won't get more masculine (Or feminine). Fasting enhances autophagic responses in the cells, so life and healthspan increases.

I do OMAD (eating once a day). I have no urges for food anymore and have no trouble keeping my weight. It has changed my life completely. When I eat, I eat basically whatever I want, but my taste has also change and I often crave healthier food.

Complete water fasting for 5-10 days are quite difficult. Look into Prolon, which basically is designed to get the same fasting results with a specific set of macronutrients. Prolon is a scientifically based programme.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    SuperiorMan95 and EthanW. like this.
  3. Nopes! There is no magical solution! Do the things you need to do, if you wanna be masculine. I have been listening to Elliott for over six years now, and trust me, he says a lot of things that he will backtrack on in another video. lol, only advice that really works is to be the stronger version of yourself. So, clean up your diet, it could be any variation, and Intermittent Fasting can be one of those. But at the end of the day, you will never surely know beforehand which nutrition protocol is going to work for you, so experimenting and finding it out is the only way. (Note: in bodybuilding and strength training, long fasting has no benefits what so ever, don't overdo it, you can get amazing results from standard protocols and they will not juggle up your endocrine system to hell and back, because, these systems take a lot of time to recover if you mess them up experimenting with stuff you have no idea or experience with.)

Good luck.

SuperiorMan95 and EthanW. like this.
  4. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Yeah, as far as I know you'll lose fat and stabilize muscle mass some. I fasted regularly for health reasons and dropped weight easily, but was I more masculine? If by "masculine" you mean had more muscles, then no. To define my muscles I had to workout routinely. Perseverance on the mat (or in the gym) is the only way to be ripped, and that is a masculine trait well worth adopting.

On a side note, masculinity is a behavior as much as it is an amalgamation of physical attributes.

SuperiorMan95 likes this.
  5. SuperiorMan95

Interesting... Actually fasting can increase testosterone after you start eating again.

Also when I say masculine, I mean less attached to sensual pleasure, less addicted to comfort in the form of food. I think this "austere" kind of practice does in fact make you more masculine compared to the man who eats and eats non stop.

6. Lilla_My

Lilla_My Fapstronaut

Maybe it increases testosterone more than before once the fast is broken. Sugar is also known to increase testosterone as well as hgh (But unlike fasting, the "bad" form of hgh, IGF).

Fasting kills appetite after a while, I can vouch for that. I used to be obsessed with food and never full. Keeping thin was needless to say a gigantic struggle. Fasting has changed that completely. It's common to basically loose interest in food after some time with different fasting protocols. Most foods bores me. In the beginning you will feel tired and struggle but after some days you are just as energetic as if you had been eating. The important thing is to look to the body as a small spoilt child. It will scream and make a ruckus when you remove what it "wants", but this is temporary.

7. The fasting carries tons of health benefits and may improve testosterone but masculinity is more than just hormonal levels. Masculinity comes from the way you view yourself, the way you carry yourself and the way you're socialized. If you're non confident, psychologically weak and have the habit of carrying yourself all feminine, I'm not sure if all the testosterone in the world could make you masculine. I'm masculine because all the guys in my family and my church were masculine. When I was in elementary and highschool, masculinity was praised and all the boys wanted to be masculine and emulated masculine behavior.

8. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario Fapstronaut

Well then, by your own definition, fasting makes a person more "masculine". But I'd say that's just because you redefined masculinity to be a synonym for austerity and asceticism. I'll certainly agree that there's great value in having control over your sensual urges...but defining that as "masculine" is, uh, certainly novel to me.

9. SuperiorMan95

Agreed. I am by no means saying that fasting is the end all be all approach to masculinity but rather a nice piece to add to the puzzle. Fasting makes you less attached to the comfort/sensual pleasure of food making you more clear and focused on mission. I think that's pretty masculine.

10. SuperiorMan95

Well yeah, you could define masculinity in many ways. For example, Jack Donovan says that masculinity has 4 tactical virtues: Strength, courage, mastery, and honor. Austerity and asceticism have always been traditionally masculine traits as well as stoicism and mental toughness. Fasting falls into that category compared to a guy who gorges himself every time he feels like it.

11. SuperiorMan95

Exactly. I don't think that masculinity just has to do with muscles. I think being strong is part of being masculine and an ideal that men can aim to but NOT every man has the genetics required to be very buff. Just like not every man has the genetics to have a huge johnson. Those things may be considered "masculine traits" but they are not defining factors. However fasting is a practice that anyone can implement in their stack of masculine character habits and practices.

12. SuperiorMan95

I'm 56 hours fasted as of this writing. I feel more mentally sharp, clear, and joyful. I feel proud too. More focused on mission. My objective is to hit 72 hours minimum.

13. Good luck, just take care of electrolyte balance, and hydration levels. Your brain can sometimes trick you.

Best wishes
    MSH

14. Along with the improvements to your general health, breaking all forms of addictions and crutches will serve to toughen you up and change your behavior patterns so if you strive to be more masculine, I'm sure this will help.

15. What is "fasting" and "HGH"?

16. SuperiorMan95

Fasting is when you abstain from food and HGH is human growth hormone.

Deleted Account likes this.
  17. SuperiorMan95

Agreed man, breaking all forms of attachment and being centered/grounded is a highly masculine trait compared to the guy who runs to his fridge as a form of escapism similar to PMO addiction. As of this writing, I am 84 hours fasted. Haven't eaten in over 3 days. Not a single bite.

18. SuperiorMan95

Pink Himalayan salt and lemon baby!

19. Does it includes drinking water? Sounds interesting, I should try it one of these days...

20. I'm planning to do this for spiritual purposes but the most i've gone is 18 hours. Are you drinking water?