1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games are a bad hobby (at least for me)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Kohai, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Kohai

Kohai Fapstronaut

I started to realize that video games are a bad hobby and are actually a symptom for having no other problems or procrastinating your real problems. I stopped them for good, i started to play them if i feel too lonely. So i just do a walk instead of play a game. At night yesterday i still felt to energized and startet to play tekken ranked. I got very ambitious and wanted to achieve Vanguard yesterday ( Dan 11), and didnt learn any more for my math test. Today in the mornings i started Tekken 7 again before i managed to stop myself from trying over and over again. I become Vanguard but wanted Warrior then, because some of my friends are Dan 19 and Dan 20-21. I wanted to become at least warrior but i failed and wasted again 3 hours. I forced myself to quit and then started to learn for my math test. Still had these urges / cravings to play Tekken 7 for like 30 mins in my submind, YEA REALLY. I GOT ACTUALY WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS FROM TEKKEN 7 WTF. I GET THE SAME FROM CLASH ROYALE SO I STOPPED THEM FOR GOOD. STOP VIDEO GAMES NOT GOOD Then it stopped and i realized how pointless these video games are. I realized i should pursue proper hobbies or only play video games if its social ( so speaking with friends while playing video games) but acutally your friends shouldnt even play video games too that much.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Deleted Account and Jal Say like this.
  2. So you suck at Tekken ok good to know.

3. Jal Say

Jal Say Fapstronaut

Yeah man, I've stopped to play video games like 9 months ago and I don't even have any thoughts or motivation to play anymore. I realized how it didn't earn me anything. Well, my reaction time was pretty high but that is the only thing and not worth the trade for my presence.

I had the same thing with series / animes / Mangas and light novels (Well to be true, out of reading like hundreds of asia light novels I've learned quite a lot about spirituality)

If you truly enjoy playling video games or watching smth than you may watch or play but only if you truly find joy and relaxation in it and you can control your urges. Time to chill is also important sometimes.

Kohai likes this.
  4. YagamiLight

YagamiLight Fapstronaut

I think it's more about control.
    I have a lot of games but I don't play that much only when I'm bored or don't have anything to do, I still think it's better than watching TV.
    The true is I could easily addict to one game and play it for hours but that was in the past I don't have that urge now, it's all about moderation, tell yourself to not play more than one hour per day and keep to that scheme.
    But it's definitely money waste :)

Jal Say and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I think this is more about not being able to prioritize your tasks more than a gaming addiction. There is a time to play and a time to work.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Kohai

Kohai Fapstronaut

yea i do, i dont play it smart. I just learned this game by testing moves and button mashing hahahahha i guess you are the ULLTIMAATE TEKKEN PROOOO???

7. Kohai

Kohai Fapstronaut

true dat. I actually do this excessive gaming if i have less time for exams. The stress i got by this short time leads to playing game to get my dopamine or overlay my stress.

8. Kohai

Kohai Fapstronaut

Yea true. I think series are okay, since you have to pay attention to understand the plot and sometimes have to see behind the curtain. I love anime, i watched many of them too but as i got older, i learned that many anime are trash. Their plot and what they want to teach you. So i only watch some anime. Anime with good messages are naruto / naruto shippuden as example for me. All time Nr.1 Naruto (dattebayo!) Then Code Geass is also smart anime, Great Teacher Onizuka and some more. Rainbow nisha is good. Anime like Fairy Tail or Sword Art Online are not that good. One piece has actually a good plot but the anime is way toooo slooow, and manga are kinda too boring for me, i cant stand to read them. I already have my science books and scripts which bore me, and i hate them if i dont understand them haha. But yea, this series never can replace real human emotion, but i think anime was important for me. They kinda educated me and maybe they influenced my character a bit ( especially naruto) But many of them are trash too, if people exaggerate it its really not good. Because they flee into this anime world, thats not the point. You should use every information ressource youve got and take the best out of every area. I just read some random psychology books and see if i can take something from them for me and my personality and inner peace. Then i learned some other sciences like physics at my uni, and its so interesting and it gifted me with another new perspective on the world. But all this series, gaming, reading never will make you more self confident or social. This experience is what you make out of your house and learn by doing, so yea, i guess moderation is the key like you all said. If you spend too much time with one thing, other areas of your life will get neglected and maybe you develop deficits in these areas. I lost important time because of my shyness at the university, didnt manage to pass some exams because i isolated myself from my pharmacy classmates.

9. Kohai

Kohai Fapstronaut

I could even use some music to distract myself and keep me from doing important stuff ( goint to gym, learn, housework)

10. Markony

Markony New Fapstronaut

totally agree. For me it's just a waste of time

11. Solid_Snake!

Solid_Snake! Fapstronaut

Playing videogames is the same as watching films or similar experiences. Just don't base all your routine on them, use em like an addition to your life and it's OK ;)

12. Yeah, I understand.
    Sometimes, when one's frustrated, he thinks it is best to go take it out on the Nazis in Wolfenstein.
    I usually play them when I have nothing to do. They are the last form of entertainment I go to actually except the theater, but if there was a theater in my town then I'd be going to it a lot more than playing an videogame.
    I have the same problem right now with Youtube. I've been binge-watching Youtube videos, a lot of times pointlessly, and I'm trying to stop.
    Anyone got any tips for a Youtube addict?

13. Kohai

Kohai Fapstronaut

I have the same with music. I just binge listen to music instead of going to gym, wasting sometimes 2-3 hours before i finally get my ass up to gym. You just have to stop. If i have stopped i still feel urges shortly after to listen/ watch more, but it will get less and less. And then you wont think about it anymore and you do your job. Its the same with NoFap and like every other addiction.