1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think about marriage in today's society?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Namekian23, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Just to let you guys know, I’m single and I’ve been this way my whole life. Yet the concept of marriage has been on my mind for as long as I can remember. I honestly believe that the marriage system (especially in this country) is not the same as it was decades ago. What happened? The divorce rate is up the roof and it is the highest among most countries around the world. Even though I value marriage deeply, I’m beginning wonder what this world is coming to. What does it take to have a long and successful marriage? Especially for a guy like me who’s had multiple heartbreaks throughout his entire life?

What’s even more interesting to me is the adaptation of cultural differences. I’m Vietnamese by the way, and the concept of marriage in most eastern countries is vastly different than that of western societies. Thus, there are culture clashes left and right. For example, when I was growing up, my parents would urge me to marry a Vietnamese woman from my country to ensure a safe and happy marriage. I on the other hand, wanted my own freedom in choosing who I wanted to fall in love with. Unfortunately, my mind and body would be torn apart between making my parents happy and finding my one true love, whoever it may be.

Another point I want to discuss is that why do people marry too soon and end up regretting it or they just can’t seem to find the right person? Do they have faults within themselves that caused this kind of outcome? Here are two examples: One of my closest friends decided to get married a few years ago. Everything went well and they even decided to plan a wedding. To top it all off I was also chosen to be the best man. Then, all of a sudden, something disastrous happened and they decided to call it off. Ever since that moment, my friend despised the idea of marriage and would rather die have another woman by his side. Another close friend of mine actually did get married and that was last year. His wife obviously loves him, but he would say things behind her back that would make any spouse feel terrible. He complains of her being too needy and never really acknowledges all of the good things that she brings into his life. Fortunately, he does care about her, but isn’t completely content with this marriage. In my opinion, it seems that he only wants a wife because he’s lonely. And at the same time, he lacks confidence in himself. Even though I’m kind of similar, I’ve learned that in order to find true love, you must appreciate and love yourself, first and foremost.

When it comes to marriage, I’ve always wanted the greatest wedding that life can possibly give. I’ve had this fantasy for the longest time. But as I grew older, I’ve realized that real marriage is nothing compared to those movies of compassionate romance, the idea of an extravagant wedding, a lovely and happy ending for the two couple, and so on. If this experience was to happen in real life, it would be too good to be true. Yet there are remarkable and extremely rare stories of couples finding true love since a young age. It’s extraordinary that these people achieved such a blessing; also, they’ve been able to stay together for most of their lives. Anyway, what do you guys think about the concept of marriage, the cultural differences involved, why people marry at the wrong time, the movies of love depicted on screen, and so on?

recon117 likes this.
  2. Well from when i was little i never wanted to marry anyone.
    Maybe because growing up me and all other friends i had saw our parents divorcing etc. This happens alot nowadays.

Now? Well i'm MGTOW now so obv it's a big no from me :)
    I just see marriage as an easy money grab for the government + nowadays with feminism etc it's way to easy to fuck a man over and run away with all he has

3. I think you're paying too much attention to the world and its standards. Make your own. Marriage is whatever you make of it. If you don't like the way a lot of people treat their marriages, then... don't be like those people.

Personally, I don't really care that most of the world treats marriage completely wrong and thinks divorce is no big deal, or any of the other stupid things people these days are doing. My husband and I don't treat it that way, so it doesn't really matter to me what they think or what they're doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019
    Issah, ShyIIock, MLMVSS and 2 others like this.
  4. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I would like to get married. I do not care about other people failing at it.

Issah, Namekian23, MLMVSS and 2 others like this.
  5. Renan_Finn

Renan_Finn Fapstronaut

I always thought about it as well, and I still want to. I think that nowadays is much harder to maintain it, I think it's just a question to really find someone who shares a lot of similarities with you, someone you know very well, someone you spent years maybe with, I think it must have good comunication between the parts.
    I think it's possible to have a good relationship, the numbers may include you later but it does nothing to do with.

Namekian23 likes this.
  6. Marriage is a construct to structure human behavior, and its goal is to introduce and maintain social stability. It forces certain set of behaviors that are socially considered correct and overall this works well to keep people somewhat organized.
    If you imagine that tomorrow marriage as a concept is all of a sudden gone, people will change behavior drastically, things that were unacceptable for a married person will just seem ok now.
    It is similar to concept of having yearly holidays like Christmas, we know those days are not different form the rest of the year but they create set of rules we follow and have positive effect on society.
    People automatically think about spending time with family, forgiving etc

So I think you are looking at Marriage trying to find something special about it but in reality it is just a set of social rules to keep society healthy. And rules are not that bad - being honest, faithful, responsible, dedicated etc. Everyone knows the rules so everyone can judge others on how well they follow them and enforce them unwittingly. Possibility of social shame reinforces certain behaviors. Wife has to keep tabs on the husband, given she is fully liable for allot of things her husband may do and same goes the other way around, so it a perfect self monitoring system for individuals.

Its pretty clever construct, it will have to evolve as social structure changes, but I think it holds social structure we have fairly well. Just see it for what it really is - set of rules to shape behavior.

Namekian23 and recon117 like this.
  7. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

8. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

marriage has unfortunately been totally screwed up by the feminists. Divorce rates 49%.

9. I gotta disagree with that, bud. Marriage is very special. It's not just some set of rules. It's one of the most challenges growth opportunities I've ever experienced, and also the most love and intimacy I've ever experienced. There are so many things I could say about how awesome marriage can be, but as I've said before, it will be what you make it out to be. Of you want your marriage to be some hollow thing that's just useful for its rules as a social construct, then that's what it will be for you. But it can be so much more than that.

10. Anything you dissect logically becomes a hollow thing and in many cases also irrational. People that begin logically dissecting marriage often find themselves wondering what the point is of marriage in our society is, and that is the discussion original poster started. So i provided logical reasons for why it is socially useful.
    You mention how you have grown, but that growth comes form interactions with your partner, family kids etc not marriage itself. Marriage creates the framework of behaviors you follow in your relationship with someone else, this greatly simplifies life so people do not need to figure out what needs to be done on their own, and what right and wrong is. Marriage as you know it is not the same across the world, many areas have notions of marriage that are completely at odds with what is accepted in the US.
    Having more than one wife is acceptable in some places, and its not just a gimmick, there are rules governing how that happens with each wife having equal time with her husband, her needs must be met etc. It's as developed of a system as any other.
    These are just different solutions to the same issue and they are normal in that social structure.
    Your relationship is what builds you, marriage sets boundaries and rules of hopefully effective behaviors just in case you do not know how to act in any given situation related to your partner.

Social idea of Marriage and your personal experience of the same thing are two different things, do not merge them together. Like Christmas is a holiday we all hold dear, but not because its a socially accepted rule that we have this holiday, we hold it dear because of experiences it creates.

11. Still gotta disagree. I think your perspective is pretty pessimistic. I prefer to see the beauty and joy and love, not boil every beautiful special thing in life down to boring "logic." I guess we are just different people, so to each his own.

MLMVSS likes this.
  12. I have been married for 20 years. Sometimes I think it was the best decision I ever made. Sometimes I think it was the biggest mistake I ever made. Fortunately, I married someone I can trust and who has our best interests in mind. Unfortunately, she complains constantly and she is no fun to be with.

Namekian23 likes this.
  13. Honestly for marriage, I'm not an expert because I haven't really had a stable relationship or been married before..
    I believe its the couples choice to do so, but marriage in other countries its already set and people are presented they're future wife without no choice to refuse. I've seen allot of marriages get ugly and people marrying way to early. I think it's best for couples to build up a stable point in money and grounding before they can get away with marriage, at least spend some longer years together before you truly understand that person and what they desire and want in life. I've had a few relationships and I couldn't see them threw as we didn't have the stability of what we desired.
    I believe in building a grounding because having a wedding of course costs a fortune and as well with having a kid already or soon after the wedding will cost even more. But soon after it will all come down to the couple to take of things, especially money and finances that they already have to pay for.
    I have a friend.. Her brother got married about a year ago and they were only in a relationship for about a year. Guess where they came to to help pay for the wedding itself. Yes.. The parents. I just think it's ridiculous so many young people are pushing it way to fast in today's society, not thinking about financing the wedding and leaving it up to the parents, family members, etc... My friend is still upset for seeing her brother going way to fast.

In conclusion Marriage to me is over rated in today's society. I'm in no rush to get married or could I handle the money responsibility's it leads to currently. I'm waiting for just a happy out going relationship, whenever that will come...

Namekian23 likes this.
  14. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Marriage is a slew of compromises, and it results in you changing for the better, as long as you actually work on it. Almost everyone in a healthy marriage will say that their spouse isn’t the same as they were before they got married, and that’s because of that change. There’s something about vowing marriage with someone else that edifies you.

15. What is too young? 20, 26, 35? Its a matter of perspective? I always argue about the case for young marriage. I was 19 when I got married to my girlfriend of 2 years. This year will be our 14th anniversary. Most long, happy marriages I have witnessed involved faith in something greater, getting hitched young and children. The agruement for getting married young is that you grow together and form a bond that is deeper because your personalities, preferences and beliefs actually form with input from the other person. This is also the exact arguement against it because you could form and grow in an entirely different direction too, and end up very unhappy to be stuck with a person you dont like. Then again what do you like? You could wait until you are 45 and then still change what you like when you are 50. When is a person done growing? When do they decide that they are happy enough exploring and are ready for a partnership? I think that's the wrong approach. Grow with the person you love. Do your exploring with the person you marry. I advocate for young marriage. Besides don't kid yourself, having a girlfriend of 8 years that you live with is a marriage by default except she feels less secure about it.

Namekian23 likes this.
  16. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

A Wise man once told me marriage is betting half of every dollar you ever make that she won't change her mind. So if you're a gambling man...

Namekian23 likes this.
  17. Marriage is good, but it is not necessary. For me, as a Christian, marriage is part of God's plan. But, I am not forced to marry.

Namekian23 likes this.
  18. Women will not change, no chance of that ever happening in the current system. Guys that make no effort to adapt to this system (self improvement aka gym, style, game, money etc) have no right to complain.
    MGTOW guys can't run away from women forever. Men are hardwired to want/desire a woman.

Namekian23 likes this.
  19. To be fair, he didn't say too young, he said too soon. I took that more as referring to people (of any age) who get married like a week after meeting the person or something.

20. Good point! Yeah totally different discussion. However...

I think I was addressing this in a kind of backwards way...o_O

Deleted Account likes this.