1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Tierd of being shy.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SorryWontSayIt, Mar 8, 2019.

1. SorryWontSayIt

SorryWontSayIt Fapstronaut

Hi,

First off, I know I have posted a lot of questions lately and sorry for that. I guess I want to grow and I need some support.

My whole life I have had the same group of friends. I am really thankful for that, because we are still a great group of friends, even tho a lot of us have moved to different parts of the country for education and work. I guess having the same group of friends is "bad", in one way. It may make it more difficult to get to know new people.

Now I am one of the people that have moved to an other city. And I am in a new a very great class where people are so nice to eachother and supportive. Even tho, I find it difficult get make more friends there. There are maybe two in the class that I talk a lot to both at school and when I am home. But I want to get to know more of them.

I have tried to be with other peoples when we have group projects etc, but some of them have already gotten a long pretty well, so I find it difficult to jump in. Lets say there are going to be group project where the is 3-4 in a group. Sometimes people already have created a group, and if I want to try to jump in, I feel like I make them have me instead of someone else they would to have in the group more, because they already know that person.

I don't find anything that I can tell is wrong with me, and I feel like I am an okey person. But a lot of the time I am quiet because I don't really know what I should talk about. I try to ask them questions, but a lot of the time their answer is not really long, and when they ask me back, I feel like I can talk alot. But I want to learn more about them, not talk about me.

Also when I talk, I like to think to myself that it is just a normal converstation. But sometimes when I talk to strangers my words kind of fades away. And I don't really feel nervouse too. And I am not nervouse around the people I try to get to know better, it is just that I don't really talk much.

I have also had the idea that maybe I should invite people to hang out after school. But don't really have too much time to hang out lately, since I have a lot of school, going to the gym, etc. I struggel with energy and I am working on it. But would love to get to know more people.

Any tips?

Most of the time I have no problem talking the little I talk to new people, both girls and boys. There is not much diffrence between how much I talk to genders.

But when I have crush or really like a girl, I really struggel to talk to her. There was one girl in my class that I liked, and she liked me. But I had just gone trough a break up and wanted to work on myself before I got involved with someone else.

So I guess I had to take a bit too much time, but one day I felt ready and was at a pre-party. The girl I like was at an other pre-party before both of us was going to the same bar. We chatted a little bit by text from eachothers party and I tried to ask when they were leaving the preparty so we maybe could meet up. Instead she did not answer me. When we met she gave me a short hug, and went with her friends. Later I saw her kissing an other dude (which is okey since we are not together). But I guess I got a little bit sad, since I was going to maybe ask her out that nigth. But my feelings left, I lost all feelings towards her. (The dude also left her later that nigth).

Before that nigth, I had some problems talking to her. But now I have no problems talking to her. Just find it really weird.

I don't know if she still likes me tho.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

You don't talk much, but you want to get closer to others.

You can't get closer with others or expect them to open up to you if you're backing away and closing yourself off from them.

It's not enough to just be around them or work with them. It's not even enough to just talk to them. You can do all these things while still not opening yourself up to them or letting them get to know you. You can be around somebody for a long time without ever getting to know them because they keep themselves hidden or private.

You say that you don't have anything to talk about, but what you're really saying is that you don't want to share anything about yourself. You don't want to bring down your emotional guards. You don't want to let yourself be seen by others.

This is basically what you're doing =
    You - Hi.
    Them - Hello.
    You - How's it going?
    Them - Good. You?
    Them - I'm alright.

..................... That's talking and making an effort, but you shared nothing about yourself there. You didn't add any value to the conversation. You didn't talk about anything they're interested in or anything that you're interested in. You didn't share what's going on in your life or about who you really are. You didn't give a compliment. No humor. No genuinely curious questions about them. Nothing. You basically interrupted them and expected them to open up and do all the work without you having to risk any sort of real vulnerability.

They don't know you because you don't show them who you are. You most likely don't stand out. You don't do or say anything around them that would draw attention towards you. That's the problem. You live a very safe life. You have very safe conversations. You protect yourself from the dangers of socializing with others. You're overly concerned about keeping yourself out of danger / mistakes / rejection / failure. You behave in a safe way and you'll have safe results. You have nothing to say? Well then others have nothing to hear. You have nothing to share? Then why would other people be interested?

During class you can slam your hand really hard on the table and that would be better than anything you've done so far in terms of getting people interested in you. Because it's taking a risk and allowing yourself to be seen. Because it's sharing more than anything you've done so far. You and the others will actually have something real to talk about ("why did you slam your hand on the table and interrupted the class like that?"). That's more vulnerability than anything you've done so far.

The other people that bonded with each other allowed themselves to be seen. They let their guards down. Shared themselves with others. Allowed others to get to know them. They risked rejection or making mistakes.

You say that you're tired of being shy, but other people are also tired of you being shy. People don't like interacting with someone that seems like they have a hidden agenda that they aren't sharing. Too secretive, boring, and safe. It drains the energy of others.

3. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Same thing.

You don't want to say or do the wrong thing. You become very cautious. You play it safe. You don't win, but you also don't really lose. You fear rejection and avoid it. So you do and say very little. You hide yourself. You keep things to yourself. So she won't accept you, but she also won't reject you. You take no risks and show no vulnerability.

When you say you don't know what to say to a girl you're interested in... what you really mean is you can't think of the perfect thing to say or do that will lead to the perfect outcome that you desire. You want a guaranteed method to attain a guaranteed result. You want absolute control. You want zero chances of pain / problems / negative experiences. That's not reality. You resist reality and that's what causes your anxiety and hesitation. It's not that you don't have anything to say to her. It's that you don't want to say what you really want to say.

When I find someone I'm interested in, I don't play games. I don't play it smooth. I don't act like I'm not interested. I don't slowly build her trust and slowly bond with her before making a big reveal about my feelings. I tell her right away what I like about her. No secrets or hidden agenda. She knows what I like about her and what I want. Even if she doesn't have mutual interest, she will respect me more for having the self respect of going for what I want and taking risks.

SorryWontSayIt likes this.
  4. ProtagonistOfMyLife

ProtagonistOfMyLife Fapstronaut

For most people shyness is caused by overly heightened awareness and 'fear' of others thinking negative/bad stuff about oneself. Quite often, shy people are people-pleaser and doormats, in a sense that they have a hard time saying "no" to people because of a fear that people will either leave/drop them or have a negative opinion about them.
    The root cause of this problem is a lack of "self-respect". If your own opinion about yourself is not more important than a stranger's opinion about yourself then you are not respecting yourself, not at all.
    The single most important thing is not to be liked by others, or being popular and respect by others. The single most important thing is to "respect yourself". Nothing more, nothing less. If you start respecting yourself, or even take things further and start 'liking' yourself, or god forbid, even 'loving' yourself. Then other's people reactions and thought's about yourself won't matter as much.
    And because you then know and own who you are that you don't feel 'risk' in 'expressing' who you are. It's when people stop being shy.
    Newbies have a hard time at this and quite often 'overcompensate' their lack of self-love and self-respect with fake-confidence. this comes often off as arrogant and narcissistic. Take care to not overcompensate.
    It's true that your own opinion about yourself and your life outweighs any else opinion but that doesn't mean you get to disregard other people and their opinions all together. If it is something not pertaining your core-personality or core-related issues, like your dreams, goals etc... then your opinion isn't worth more or less than those of others.

SorryWontSayIt likes this.
  5. SorryWontSayIt

SorryWontSayIt Fapstronaut

Thanks for the replys!

Yeah, I have lived a very safe life, and I really want to open up more. Don't really know why I am not able to. I guess it is fear, that I migth get rejected. Even tho I still don't look at myself as a boring person - when I look at situations where I am "fully" myself with close friends and family. I guess I have to let myself open up more around people I don't know that well.

I know it will be scary as fuck to a person as me, but I guess I will just have to start seeking discomfort. Sometimes I may face rejection, and sometimes I may make some new friends. I guess I just have to learn it. Currently now I am thinking that I am starting to lose by default if I keep playing safe as I have done. So there is really only one way to go.

And yeah, I don't really want to be popular, I don't really care about that. I just want to open up to people and have people open up to me. I guess I have to start opening up myself more.

I have a friend that is really good on just saying what he think. He simply does not care what others think of him, he just says it. And people really love him for that. So I guess he is a good example to learn from.

Re:Born likes this.