1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Racism or Bigotry

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with activism. I just can't stand the way it's done today.

Back when MLK was around, he knew the power of words and actions and how actions will receive a short term reward while words work toward a long term goal, if done righr. It seems like most activism isn't centered around this but instead around selfish needs. Specifically, self victimizing to bring oneself above others in terms of what is due individuals or groups.

This is my take on such:

Bigotry, hatred, prejudice, and bias are all unfair whether or not they are done to an oppressive group or individual, and whether or not they are committed by an oppressed group or individual, meaning whether or not you think you're special or victimized. I think that the biggest reason someone might disagree with this is because they have insecurities centered around whatever bias or whatever they have, much like how fear contributes to hate on the other side. Hmmmm...
    I would like to see people work through their fears instead of blaming it on everyone else.

If you got crap for being black, gay, trans or whatever, I thank you for your individuality and wish you the best. But please, do not forget that it is easy to fall into the trap of hatred when it feels like the whole world is against you. Please understand that not everyone is against you, who ever you are, and that everyone deserves what you deserve and desire: the chance to be understood. So please listen. Many people already are listening, and I thank everyone for their part in easing the foot off of hatred's gas pedal.

From a somewhat narrow perspective,
    nicename.

Deleted Account and Hros like this.
  2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

This was the only thing I disagreed with. It's not a narrow perspective at all - it's how things should be seen in general, rather than this ever-growing group-victim-mentality that means a bunch of people are better than others simply for being victimized more than others.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. This is a good video on activism:

4. You watch Cosmic Skeptic too? He's really cool.

5. Something I've noticed here in Spain: I like looking at people while walking on the street, when it is a black person, they generally look back like thinking "yeah, man, I'm fucking black, stop looking at me", and hot girls generally look back like "I'm so fucking tired of you guys looking at me", while I looked at them just as I look at everyone else, not for being black or hot... I've also encountered a trans girl a couple times in college (she even has the trans symbol tattoed) and I couldn't stop looking at her because I found her face to be so aesthetic, but she looked like "what is this, the fucking circus? Yeah, I'm trans, stop looking at me". So the interesting bit in all of this is that people live inside their own reality, their believes shape their world, and that's not easy to get over, you need to realize that you are assuming stuff, and that you are not always right about the intentions of people, despite how clever you perceive yourself to be.
    So, when people feel like the world is against them, it takes a great deal of reconfiguration of oneself to step out of that paranoia. Not easy to discover and accept how wrong you are.

justafriend and Deleted Account like this.
  6. I actually started watching him after you posted one of his videos.

7. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

“Activism” nowadays is more about demonising “privileged” groups rather than empowering oppressed groups. It’s honestly pathetic. As a liberal i’ve actually been more sympathetic to the conservatives, not because I agree with them but because the Left has gone completely insane.

8. Do you like his videos?

9. (I caution you on saying "should", in general.)
    I guess I meant I don't necessarily have all the facts.

Yes it is! I really agree with his basic view on activism, rather than having some niche self-serving perspective, he instead focuses on the person to person aspect of it. Very applaudable.
    I think it would be interesting to see someone go up to a "liberal" protest like the ones he talked about and say, " Hey everyone I'm from [insert liberal group here] and I studied at [leftist college here] and I just want to say that you're all doing a great job, but I need to get into the [insert random controversial speech here] so that I can take notes and report back to my superiors."

First off, it's good to know that staring at people is somewhat normal and won't receive backlash in some cases. I am glad that in your country you can get away with such a fulfilling pastime as realizing your place in the world.

Besides that, I would think that the way people react is a reflection of what they feel they need to show you as a person. It's very hard to put up invisible walls when no words are spoken, therefore, engage in an interaction (as opposed to being okay with oneself apart from you).

I agree. Oppressed groups could be brought up so that they are equal to the privileged, rather than having privileged groups brought down so oppressed groups can have their turn at the wheel. That's just not fair and not at all about equality. Not about balance.

I'mJustAChoice, Hros and MLMVSS like this.
  10. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I see your point.

11. Have you heard of Dave Rubin? He’s a classical liberal like you. Does good podcasts.

And yeah, intersectionality is insanity.

MLMVSS and Deleted Account like this.
  12. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I like Rubin, he’s definitely got an interesting point of view especially due to where he used to work.

13. I wouldn't use "activism" as a rude word, since people can campaign for almost anything. I'd also say that this fad of "owning the libs" and "triggering feminists" is just as stupid and annoying as the people who are the target of those smears.

Dave Rubin is not very bright. He has had some interesting guests though.

14. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

The leftist democrat party has an open war against White people.

15. I do. I like his style. I thought his video 'Is The Bible 100% Accurate?' was good.