1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

In love but not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by DaddyFatSac, Dec 9, 2018.

1. DaddyFatSac

DaddyFatSac Fapstronaut

I started talking to this girl last month and we got really close fast. We spent a lot of late nights and fun weekends together and she made me feel alive. I’d been so used to being numb to genuine connection, but she made me feel the way I did when I fell in love for the first time. Every conversation we had was so interesting, long, and so real. Recently she told me she couldn’t commit because I wasn’t religious. I tried to respect it and leave before I could hurt myself more but she kept convincing me to stay. I know you shouldn’t try to convince someone that you’re worthy but I’m in love with her. Deep down a part of me thinks I can make her fall in love with me but another part of me tells me I need to leave this behind. I just don’t want to run anymore. I’m sick of being alone, I want to be with her. Any suggestions?

2. DaddyFatSac

DaddyFatSac Fapstronaut

I accept her beliefs, but she should also respect mine. I was catholic for 15 years so I know how it feels to not have your faith respected. I’ve been a person of faith my whole life and I’m definitely not changing that for a girl. What kind of man does that make me?

3. What you have is a case of oneitis, moreso for a girl that is unavailable. She is not a unicorn, there are millions of women just like her. Plus you are 18. You shouldn't have an attention span longer then 2 weeks.

For an Athiest, you should ask a girl out within 72 hours of meeting her. If you go on repeat dates, you should be banging by the 3rd date. If you were meant to be together in this time frame you would be a couple on Facebook by now.

If things don't go in that timeframe, you done goofed.

DaddyFatSac likes this.
  4. Why not?

5. I'd say it's time to move on, unfortunately. It's a shame that she let things get this far, though, because that's not really fair to you. I personally would never want to date someone who doesnt share my religious beliefs, because its the most important thing in my life and I've watched other people marry people who dont share their beliefs, and it leads to all kinds of problems. Being able to talk to my husband openly about my spiritual walk and have him understand and agree and support me and want to share all of that, because he wants that too and it's just as important to him as it is to me, is absolutely amazing. My husband's best friend is married to a non-christian, and it's really really hard for him. My husband thinks of him almost every time we have some deep spiritual breakthrough together, because he knows that his friend isnt getting to have that kind of spiritual support and oneness in his marriage.

That being said, though, I wouldnt get that close to a guy who isnt a believer if I knew I wasnt going to want to actually be with them. That's kind of crappy, if she led you on and it wasnt just in your own mind or something. But either way, it's time to move on, I say.

I think in these situations its probably harder for the non-religious person to accept, because in your mind, you dont mind if she is religious and you still respect her beliefs, but for her, she needs more than just respect. She needs mutual understanding and shared faith. It's so important. I'm sure you could probably still have a happy life with her, despite your difference in beliefs, but she wouldnt be able to have as deeply fulfilling of a life with you. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh and hopefully it makes sense. It's nothing against you as a person, but if you respect her and want what's best for her, I think you should move on and allow her to find someone who shares that with her. And you will find someone else too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018
    over addicted and DaddyFatSac like this.
  6. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

God > Girl

7. He obviously doesn't think that, otherwise he wouldn't start this thread.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. I've seen situations where an Athiest gets into a relationship with say a Catholic, and is plain miserable every Sunday when they are forced to go to Church with the girls entire family.

Let's compare this to a situation that arose with me. I'm very close to a Mormon woman, about as close as I have been. I live a celibate lifestyle, but would change that for marriage only. She ticked all of my boxes and then some. Everything is great until:
    She requires a Mormon boyfriend/husband.
    I require a Protestant (open with whatever branch, I'm Evengelical) wife. She invites me to LDS events, they make me uncomfortable because of the whole ubermensch thing. She won't even consider coming to my Church.

I had to walk away because I don't want to be LDS.

DaddyFatSac likes this.
  9. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Uh huh...

10. :emoji_face_palm:
    If he were so firm in his position, he would just end it instead of asking others for advice. Is she a dumb religious fundamentalist? Probably not if he likes her so much. Probably he would like the people she also likes. Religion in the end is only about community, nothing more. So there's a group of people whom he'd probably like. Why not join them?

11. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

In your opinion, right?

Or are you trying to pass this off as a fact? o_O

12. Bro, let me tell you something.
    Don't push yourself into changing your mindset for a girl.
    She should respect your thoughts... if she does not, then leave her. Make her drive crazy for you, if she really likes you, she will start thinking about respecting your ideas and she will come back, if she does not like you that much then she isn't worth to have a relationship.

Thrust me... do your own by letting her drive crazy, find another girls .

Deleted Account and DaddyFatSac like this.
  13. Just like you, I can't offer anything other than my opinion. I would personally have no problem joining a religion if it meant I could live with the woman of my dreams as a reward. Whether or not does OP agree with me is up to him. He's saying that he has to have "his faith respected" but the fact that he posted the thread in the first place means that he's not so sure. So we'll have to wait for his response, don't you think?

14. I agree with this statement, but I think in this context it's weird to act as if this girl isnt respecting his beliefs. Saying you dont want to date someone who has a certain belief is not being disrespectful of their beliefs. Its having your own standards of who you want to spend your life with. It doesnt sound to me like she is being disrespectful of his beliefs at all.

15. That means that he is not what she is looking for.
    I would move on, there is a lot of girls I would not change my mindset for a girl.

DaddyFatSac likes this.
  16. DaddyFatSac

DaddyFatSac Fapstronaut

What I said was misleading. I don’t believe in God because of traumatic memories from the past. I’m never gonna go back to that, but I live in freaking Alabama. I know how to blend in and connect with people strong in faith. Religious people have called this a “phase” and tried to convince me out of it for years. I’m not turning back now. Bottom of the line, I’m not changing my beliefs for a girl. It seems so detrimental and demeaning to do that to myself.

17. In that case this discussion is pointless. It's over unless she's just playing hard to get.

DaddyFatSac likes this.
  18. I agree. I said the same in my comment above. I'm just saying, it's not about her not being respectful of his beliefs. That doesnt seem to be an issue in this situation.

DaddyFatSac likes this.
  19. Sorry to hear that but I don t think this will work out. She wants to drag you into a church. If you follow such women because you fear loneliness, you will end up bored and frustrated. Church isn t sexy, it is depressing. Go out and meet exciting girls. 18 year olds should be looking for adventure, not church.

20. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Guess i got it right ;)

Deleted Account likes this.